Author Topic: Mainstream Media  (Read 713 times)

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Mainstream Media
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2000, 11:55:00 AM »

Originally posted by Eagler:
Because the news needs to be balanced without an agenda of their own. Without coming out of the left, stay centered. Maybe the average US citizen is a handsomehunk and absorbs the media spew as if it were the God given truth. The media is left, they did their best to influence this election. It's a documented fact they (CNN, MSNBC & CSPAN) gave gore more air time than Bush during the campaign speeches. If you don't see this, OPEN your eyes. Be an educated citizen/voter inspired by fact not emotion.

Eagler

Eagler,
 Open your eyes and read my post.
 I am not saying that the media is not doing all those alleged things. I am saying that media is private corporations that are making money by showing us what we will watch most.
 There is no legal way to make anyone say anything, truth or lies. Government does not control or own media here.
 You can send a letter to the media company or buy shares and vote at the shareholder meeting. Or stop watching and buying it and tell other to do so.
 Or open your own company and say/print whatever you want.

"News needs to be balanced" - that is the same as saying "people should be smart". It is a nice thing to fantacise about but it has nothing to do with reality.

I am a republican and hate the liberal media but what they do is perfectly legal. Any restriction on what they say is would be a violation of their Freedom if Speech.

miko.

[This message has been edited by miko2d (edited 11-10-2000).]

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Mainstream Media
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2000, 12:00:00 PM »
I don't buy it, the media would rather report accurately to save face, than to swing a vote and look bad..I just think this is a conspiracy theory, granted  they're bias IMO, but I just don't buy the fact that they would purposely try to swing a vote one way or another, they screwed up, plain and simple.  They should NOT allow any press coverage on voters booths until after they close...

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Mainstream Media
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2000, 12:29:00 PM »

Originally posted by Nash:
Eagler - you saying you can't find this "documented fact"?

Are you saying that *you* in fact documented this by sitting in front of a TV with a stop watch?

[This message has been edited by Nash (edited 11-10-2000).]

That's exactly what I'm saying and I invite you to do it today. The trend continues. If you can't see it, take your blinders off. You can't tell me you don't notice the bias.

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Mainstream Media
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2000, 12:50:00 PM »

Originally posted by Ripsnort:
They should NOT allow any press coverage on voters booths until after they close...

And who should "they" be? Big Brothers? What about freedom of press? Freedom of speech?

It would be nice to have a constitutional amendment that would disallow any election-related reporting on the day of the election, I would vote for it.
 Otherwise those slimy bastards should be able to print/say what they want.

Media only cares about accuracy as long as it is profitable. And with a talanted writer/director, fiction is always more interesting then fact and easier managed.
 The media owners/bosses are mostly liberal democrats, so what pressure they exersice is not directed towards republicans. But that is also their right.
 Why would'n they try to swing a vote towards their favorite party? What do you think all those endorsements mean? What about corporate donations? No conspiracy here - everything is perfectly open and legal.
 What would be a point of buying a media company if you could not say what you want?

miko

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Mainstream Media
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2000, 12:58:00 PM »
Miko, what I'm saying is that should be either A) Responsible enough to not report dis-information which could sway a vote (Which they are not) or B) Not allowed to give a designated time that a specified voter's county has technically 'Closed'...this can hurt all parties at the polls.

Edit: This is NOT the first time something like this has happened.

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 11-10-2000).]

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
Mainstream Media
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2000, 12:59:00 PM »
Rip, the facts contradict  your generous assessment!!!

The decision to announce information is a product of many minds in the newsrooms.  When it was announced in the Fox newsroom a female orgasm can be over heard!!!!

I hardly think Monica is currently working for Fox!!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Mainstream Media
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2000, 01:55:00 PM »

Originally posted by 1776:

The decision to announce information is a product of many minds in the newsrooms.  When it was announced in the Fox newsroom a female orgasm can be over heard!!!!

Are you sure you weren't sitting on the remote and it kicked back to the Playboy channel  

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
Mainstream Media
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2000, 03:47:00 PM »
The news media should keep it's mouth shut until all the polls are closed. Nuff said!

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Mainstream Media
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2000, 03:58:00 PM »

Originally posted by Ripsnort:
Miko, what I'm saying is that should ...

I was not arguing about that, Rip. Of course they should. But it's like saying "people should be polite". You cannot do anything about them.
 You can enlighten people who would listen to you, like you are trying to do here, but that is pretty much all.

miko

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Mainstream Media
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2000, 04:05:00 PM »

I think you are a subject not a citizen in the UK. Which means you are allowed to live or die at the whim of one human being.

Think what you like. But don't YOU live or die at the whim of one human being? If another large scale war happened tomorrow and you were drafted, then wouldn't it be true that your life could be ended at the whim of your president?

If you care to look into our governmental system a little further I think you'll find that we have something called a constitutional monarchy. This means that the Queen is a figure-head monarch only and the last time a British monarch went against a parlimentary decision was in 1750.

I am very much a citizen, thank-you.

I was just making a suggestion, yet you are unable to look at it critically. Sad.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

funked

Mainstream Media
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2000, 04:34:00 PM »
I think the media coverage was moronic.  They were calling Illinois for Gore... and I was on my way to vote.  Pathetic.  There oughta be a law...

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Mainstream Media
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2000, 04:44:00 PM »
A law? Wouldn't that conflict with that "First Ammendment thing"  

Just ribbin' ya Funked. I happen to agree. I believe we have that law here in Canada and it seems to work well.

funked

Mainstream Media
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2000, 05:09:00 PM »
Nash good point.
But I wouldn't restrict what the press can report.  

However I would stipulate that each state and county must not give any results to the media until the polls are closed everywhere in the US.  Termination, heavy fines, and jail sentences for any government employee caught leaking this information before that time.  The same kind of rules that are used for classified information.

And I would see if there was a constitutional way put a restriction on pollsters operating near voting stations.  I'm not so sure about this one.

But without any official information from states and counties, the TV dweebs would have to report their election-day "results" as what they are - roadkill.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Mainstream Media
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2000, 05:20:00 PM »
When results are called by the news organizations, aren't they currently based soley on exit polls?

Anybody know?

Yes, laws for the polling stations wouldn't be unreasonable. However, like you say, gagging the exit polsters and the news media itself would be difficult. And if I'm not mistaken (somebody please correct me) that's the way it currently works.