Author Topic: Those Were the Days  (Read 140 times)

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
Those Were the Days
« on: October 06, 2006, 03:34:06 PM »
I don't often go to estate sales, mainly because I'm too broke to buy anything.

Couple of weeks ago my brother-IN-law called to say that he and his wife had bought up the remains of an estate for 1300 dollars and wanted to know if we would care to look the various and sundry items over.  Several boxes of books and magazines were included in the lot, and some were on topics I might be interested in.

Hmmm...why not.

Anyway, I picked up a few gems (They are to me anyway.) from the late '50s and early '60s.

Several old paperback Ballantine and Bantam books, with the following titles, original price 50 cents:

Wing Leader - by Group Captain J.E. Johnson

Savo - Richard F. Newcomb

Away All Boats - Kenneth Dodson

A Sailor's Odyssey - Viscount Cunningham of Hyndhope

The Dam Busters - Paul Brickhill

The One That Got Away - Kendal Burt

Plus the following magazines:

American Guns Magazine (Spring 1956)  With an article about Audie Murphy

Royal Air Force Flying Review - (July 1962)  containing an article about the P-40 with cutaway drawings

American Modeler (August 1961) With a picture of Adolf Galland's Me-109E on the cover.

Guns - third edition - (1956)

The prices listed for guns, many of which were mail order, were unbelievably low, even allowing for inflation:

Webley New Model in .450 caliber - $19.75

U.S. M1919A4 Browning .30 caliber machine gun - $240

Model 98 Mauser actions - $18.95

Boys Anti-Tank Rifle - weight 33 lbs, including adjustable bipod, five shot magazine, muzzle brake and recoil pad.  $74.95  -  .55 in. shells sold at $1 each.  Sold by the Hy Hunter company in West Burbank, Ca.

Johnson Semi-Automatic 30-06 cal. rifle - $88.50

Lee-Enfield bolt-action rifles in .303 cal. - $29.95 in good condition

THOSE were the DAYS!