Author Topic: Mellencamp  (Read 1563 times)

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
Mellencamp
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2006, 11:49:32 AM »
Originally posted by FUNKED1
One thing to think about:  state standards ARE regulation.

Yes but the regulation should be limited to specific academic standards and should be mandatory only for those seeking vouchers.

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
Mellencamp
« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2006, 11:50:49 AM »
Originally posted by Sixpence
So everyone can go? We are going in circles

Everyone who can find a private school willing to take them can go. Certainly it will take time for private schools to completely replace public schools but I don't really expect that to happen anyhow, do you?

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Mellencamp
« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2006, 12:04:58 PM »
Originally posted by lukster
Yes but the regulation should be limited to specific academic standards and should be mandatory only for those seeking vouchers.

What about criminal background checks? Can one company own all the private schools? And if one does, is that not a monopoly all over again?

Everyone who can find a private school willing to take them can go.

But if everyone wants to go and there isn't room in the private schools, who decides who goes to private and who goes to public? What, the private school gets to decide who goes?

Too many unanswered questions, there is no plan. Let one city do it for 2 years and show me how it works
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
Mellencamp
« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2006, 12:09:39 PM »
A plan? That's exactly what we don't need, the government setting it up and controlling it.

If you have to wait for supply to meet demand how are you much worse off than today? As public schools lose students and their associated funding they will simply have to adapt.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
Mellencamp
« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2006, 12:19:26 PM »

A plan? That's exactly what we don't need, the government setting it up and controlling it.

Show me the private plan, one that answers all my questions

If you have to wait for supply to meet demand how are you much worse off than today?

Where is the demand? You have not shown me anything to demand it, in fact, you have convinced me the good school my kids are in is much better than an unknown.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
Mellencamp
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2006, 12:27:51 PM »
Originally posted by Sixpence

Show me the private plan, one that answers all my questions

If you have to wait for supply to meet demand how are you much worse off than today?

Where is the demand? You have not shown me anything to demand it, in fact, you have convinced me the good school my kids are in is much better than an unknown.

I think you're being obstinate now. You were the one complaining that the private schools would not be able to support the demand for them. If there is no demand then there will be no one opting for the vouchers.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
Mellencamp
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2006, 12:39:54 PM »

I think you're being obstinate now.

lol, you can't answer questions and argue blindly and call me obstinate? That's pretty funny.

You were the one complaining that the private schools would not be able to support the demand for them.

I wasn't complaining about anything, I was asking a legit question. And again, what demand? If you can't answer legit questions about it, how can you expect people to vote for it?

If there is no demand then there will be no one opting for the vouchers.

Exactly, and there will be no vouchers because no one will vote for it

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
Mellencamp
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2006, 12:43:04 PM »
I answered your questions the best I could. It all seems obvious to me but you may have a perspective I just ain't seein'.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Mellencamp
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2006, 02:39:29 PM »
sixpense.. you would allways have the option of sending your kids to the public school so long as they met whatever academic standards were laid down.

As far as "what do we do if it doesn't work"  well... last man standing... if the private schools don't come up to snuff on testing then they fall off the chart.  lose acredidation and funding.

pretty simple really.

lazs