Author Topic: What to do first couple nights?  (Read 773 times)

Offline xzzy

• Zinc Member
      • http://xzzy.org
What to do first couple nights?
« on: September 06, 2006, 01:00:57 PM »
I downloaded the game around this time last week, and spent most of the weekend reading and tooling around in the offline mode. This is the first "real" flight sim I've ever spent time on so there was quite a bit of reading and crater-making going on.

So I am to the point where I can take off in an Corsair without flipping over, gun down drones from several angles of approach, and can even land without snapping off anything important. I'm not sure how much more I can learn offline so I'm going to get started with the 2 week trial within the next couple evenings.

I've read through the netaces.org site and a lot of the help docs on HTC's main web site, but am still not sure what I "should" do my first time out. Which is my query.

While I don't expect anyone to show mercy, is there any way to mark myself as a newbie in game to allow people to know me for what I am? I'm mostly referring to the suggestion on the netaces site that explains how it's polite to give informational updates and I don't want to cheese someone off by forgetting to do so. I have a feeling I'm going to be spending most of my time wondering why my plane blew up and trying to avoid becoming a geographical landmark.

Will it irritate anyone to find me tooling around uselessly in obscure corners of the map? Many games have a spectator mode or something that allow one to watch what's going on and getting a feel for how the community+action works, does AH have anything like that?

I'm less concerned at the moment with learning how to stay alive than I am being an annoyance. Being not shot up would be a nice perk, but I'd like to start off with the community on the right foot.

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 01:06:59 PM »
xzzy, best place to start would be the TA  (training arena). There is most times a trainer in there, and if not, many of the more experienced players frequent that arena to help out new people.

welcome to Aces High :)

RTR
The Damned

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 01:18:06 PM »
Just my opinion of course...

I recommend you hold off registering and do the free Head-To-Head (8-player) game for a while instead.  It will give you combat experience with other humans without starting the clock ticking.  After you feel comfortable reading the map, getting the hang of taking out ACK at bases, etc. as well as giving you the general feel of the game (the H2H rooms are basically very small versions of the MA), then you can start your subscription.  By that time you will have a better feel for what's going on in the game and make the most of your free two week trial.  If you jump in now, you are likely to find the MA a pretty frustrating experience.  You will probably be back here asking for advice and you will be invited to come to the TA (Training Arena).  That would be good advice.  Problem is, you will waste your two week trial while training when you can get a lot of that training in the H2H for free.

Like I said, just my opinion.  Not everybody approaches this game the same way.

Good luck to you whatever you decide!
The Hay Street Boys

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 01:22:46 PM »
xzzy, welcome to Aces High! :)

The fact along of your posting and your willingness to put in some effort learning this game tells me one thing for sure. You certainly wont be an annoyance to the community - on the contrary.

Treat everyone as a human being and with respect and youll get along well. This is a good community in general. Dont let an occasional bad apple get to you, those can simply be ignored.

That said: RTR offered good advice. The Training Arena (TA) is a good place to get a feel for what flying in an online room with other people is like in a non-combat enviroment. That doesnt mean TA figths cant be hard or difficult to fight, but they give you a chance to learn without getting blown to pieces just after entering combat.

Dont be afraid to feel out the Main Arena (MA) though. Yes youll probably die a lot at first, but heck... i still do :). That doesnt mean you cant have fun. Its the little successes that make it great - youll never forget your first MA kill :).

Whats your ingame ID? If you see me online, dont hesitate to call me and say hello. Id love to wing with you some and show you around. Im "Schatzi" in the Arenas as well.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 01:25:12 PM by Schatzi »
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Re: What to do first couple nights?
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 01:36:15 PM »
Originally posted by xzzy
While I don't expect anyone to show mercy, is there any way to mark myself as a newbie in game to allow people to know me for what I am? I'm mostly referring to the suggestion on the netaces site that explains how it's polite to give informational updates and I don't want to cheese someone off by forgetting to do so...
don't worry, most will be able to tell you are new, that is not a problem.

also, don't worry about giving "updates" it is actually more annoying to hear some new guy calling out: "ok i'm banking left" "i am climbing on the spit" "im 2.3k out from the spit" and every other action or thing they see.

the most important thing in the online arenas is to know how to communicate. understand the radio fully, along with ALL the ways to tune and read. don't forget the most important key ~ to see what scrolled by that you missed.

don't ask over and over "how do i take off" in the MA or a similar question, most will reply rudely or just say "go to the TA"

there is soooo much information to take in in the MA at first it can be overwhelming, just take your time and fly around. sign up for a trainer and go into the TA whenever you have a question.

hope that helps.
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 02:15:36 PM »
You'll find in the MA that 'the war effort' is very loosely self organized.  It is a free for all for some, while others try to work together in small groups to strategically win the map.  Either style of play is fine.  There are so many "lone wolfs", and "furballers" that one more person doing their own thing while trying to figure out the game isn't going to attract much attention.

If you simply try to be helpfull to the friendlies within contact range of you, by calling out enemy contacts, and giving check6's; and just quietly observe tactics and communications of experienced players, you'll get along just fine.

On the subject of not annoying other players:

-Don't shoot at falling enemy planes that are fatally damaged.  Scoring continues until the enemy pilot bails out or dies.  Most tend to dislike losing credit for a victory because someone else blasted the wingless plane as it falls out of the sky.

-Try to give a 'check 6' when you chase an enemy plane up a friendlies backside.  (Its not always possible, but its appriciated)

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 02:47:22 PM »
You got some sound advices there. Let me add two more:

1. If you are looking for "something to do" in the MA (main areana), I suggest you start with Jabo runs. This will give you some purpose and will be less frurstrating then simply being shot down over and over again. You'll get to be killed after your attack run for some dogfighting experience.

2. Join missions. Missions offer two things for a newbie: some degree of team play (since you are not in a squadron yet) and getting to know people. You'll find a few players that play your time zone that will become friends. They may even invite you to their squadron or simply say hi when they see you and be happy to fly with you.

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »
^^^^

what they said.  If you do sign up and see me in the MA or the TA (dichodog) you're welcome to ask questions.  I've only been around for a short period of time but I'm more than willing to help.  As soon as you possibly can set up an appointment with a trainer to work on something specific.  On netaces it gives the very good advice to find one thing to work on then stick with that until you master it.  This is what I've been doing and it's worked out well for me.

Welcome aboard and if there's a question you don't feel like asking someone for fear of sounding too noob shoot me a pm.  If I don't know the answer I know where to go get it :)

Good luck

:aok
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Clutz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Re: What to do first couple nights?
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 05:06:58 PM »
My .02                                                                                                Welcome xzzy. I like your handle. You are going about everything just exactly like I did when I first started. Man, I remember how much fun it was back then when I first went to the MA. Planes are free so I say just jump in the MA and start flying. That's the best way to have some fun. What I loved doing back then was taking off from fields with the most action right around the runway (capped fields). I got shot down very much doing this but man, all the excitement with so much going on right in my face was real thrill. What is good about doing this at first is that u probably cant really dog fight or use your view keys very well, so some quick action just using your forward view with lots of targets is a fun way to start. I looked for these bases around 7 or 8 in the evening central time.

I would say skip using mic on radio for a while till u learn the lingo and remember that the orange type in the radio is good for help if u need it. If you type a newbie question this is fine, asking newbie questions vocally on the radio is not so cool.

Oh yes, fly a spit16. Newbies don't fly them for nothing. They are great planes. When u get a chance go find all the murdr films (479th Raiders squad) u can find and watch them. They helped me most of all. I used to watch them over and over again. I still do. Have fun. :aok

Offline xzzy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 05:11:04 PM »
Thanks everyone. Doesn't look like I'll get on tonight, but probably tomorrow.

I guess I just misunderstood what the "training area" was, I had it in my head it was the offline practice modes and the scheduled training that went on was on private servers or whatever. Point being when I do get on, that's the first place I'll head.

One flight specific question: I haven't found a good answer for the best way to recover energy in a pressure situation. I've been aware of the concept of "energy fighting" for several years now, but never really made it a subject of study nor have I ever had to work with it.

Ignoring for the moment that the pursuit is probably already shooting the plane out from under me, let's assume I have blown all my reserves and have a low altitude plus a low speed. What's the best thing to try? Bleed altitude as much as I can to get some speed, then climb with WEP on? Dive with WEP then try to climb? Fly level with WEP until I have to evade?

I've tried downloading as many AH Film files as I can (trying to dig up examples of energy conservation and recover), but a lot of the links on the forum are years old and won't play anymore. I'm sure the answer to this is already out there, I just can't find it. ;)

thanks again.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 05:27:34 PM »
Welcome to Aces High!  The 479th Raiders have a bunch of great films if ya havn't found them yet.

As to recovering "E", It will depend on the fight big time. If you have someone being very aggressive in attacking you he's not going to give you much time to recover, after all the name of the game is "bleed the enemies "E" faster than you use yours, then kill him!". Nose down, and wep when ever the enemy is not pointing his nose at ya.

If he's not being aggressive, you'll have more time to play with and can save the loss in altitude for when you really need it. Wep on and level, or a slight nose down till you even it back up with him.

Being able to dodge a "guns pass" is a very good skill to learn, practice, die, and practice some more !

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 10:07:51 PM »
To recover energy, you need to increase altitude and increase or maintain speed.  This means putting it into a steady climb.  There is no way to do it in a pressure situation.  The trick is to maintain more energy then your opponent(s) until you shoot them down.  

You can trade altitude for speed, and speed for altitude and maintain the same energy level.  You loose energy when you have more drag then thrust.  You increase drag when you turn.  The higher G turn, the more drag you make.

Many people associate just Boom and Zoom (B&Z) tactics for energy fighting. I am not talking about B&Z.  In an energy fight you will loose energy because you need to turn to keep your enemy burning energy.  The art is to use less energy.  When you gain the advantage, you can then set up and kill him.

You need to learn how to make a fast low energy turns.  They are like a high yoyo. Try to limit your turns to 5G.  It take lots of practice and much patients, but it is quite fun :)

Best to find a trainer, I am sure they can help.  I have an old film here:

Energy Film

Note the speed and altitues of both aircraft at the beginning of the film, and at the end of the film.  The FW starts with quite a large energy advantage.  

My first few turns were 5G, but I had to pull more as the fight went on to avoid getting shot.  But the FW was pulling hard to try to make the shot, bleeding more energy then I was.  At the end, he lost the energy advantage and ended up slow and in my sights.

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline Auger

• Nickel Member
      • AKs Home Page
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 12:51:30 PM »
If you are already low and slow with a bandit glued to your six, you are pretty much screwed.  The best you can really wish for is that it's me, as I can't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside.  There is still a small glimmer of hope, though.

Turn really hard if you have better turn performance than your attacker.  If he overshoots, press him some to get him to extend more before he turns back.  You may even get in a lucky shot this way.  While he's extending, you should be climbing at WEP while trying to get to best cornering speed.

If you can't out turn him, and he's not closing rapidly, fly mostly level.  If you fly straight and level you'll get plugged for sure.  Frequently change your angle of bank, climb and dive, bank like you're going to turn but push slightly forward on the stick, etc.  This may throw off his aim long enough for you to get enough speed to really maneuver.

Once you have some speed, you can try a flat scissors, or a series of barrel rolls.  The fact that you survived this long means they're likely to work.

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 12:53:23 PM »
Originally posted by Auger
sorry got a chuckle out of your name and the topic :aok :lol

what to do the first few nights? ...auger

:rofl
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline xzzy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 02:38:10 PM »
I'm not that new. ;)

The only point I will "auger" is the one where someone liberates my wings from my fuselage.  To be fair, I did manage to put my F4U into unrecoverable spins when I was experimenting with the physics at extremely low speeds, but those were completely intentional. Honest.

Assuming I'm parsing the colloquialism properly, getting shot down should allow some leeway on whether it was an "auger" or a "kill". ;)