Author Topic: Friday, Sep 8th @ 11pm ET  (Read 2028 times)

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Friday, Sep 8th @ 11pm ET
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2006, 08:33:00 PM »
Well atleast you monkeys can play.:(

storch

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2006, 12:36:44 AM »
what's the martyr?

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2006, 04:29:47 PM »
let's see, you point a better turning plane at a plane that doesn't turn as well in a co-e, co-alt merge...  and you expect the guy NOT to take a head on shot?

I'm sorry, I didn't realize the AvA arena was rear quarter shooting only. I'll try to remember that next time I fly in there.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2006, 05:11:03 PM »
Originally posted by Nifty
let's see, you point a better turning plane at a plane that doesn't turn as well in a co-e, co-alt merge...  and you expect the guy NOT to take a head on shot?

I'm sorry, I didn't realize the AvA arena was rear quarter shooting only. I'll try to remember that next time I fly in there.

dont think the tony turns better than the spit 5
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2006, 09:58:33 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler
dont think the tony turns better than the spit 5

I don't think you were only in the Tony. I didn't see a Tony at all for the first 10 minutes or so. It's possible you weren't there yet, but I thought I saw your name in the buffer immediately after getting there.

Regardless, now that I know merges are to be cold in the AvA, I won't fire on them. Don't wanna upset the regulars.

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2006, 09:59:13 PM »
Wish I could have been there. Was as sick as a dog Friday night.

I know some in my squad Head On. Some vulch, some shoot chutes, some fly LA7’s in the Main Arena. Heck, maybe some don’t pay their taxes. Life goes on.

I will Head On. Have for years. I know it bothers many and for that I am sorry, but if I feel I can get the better end of it I will take it.

If that makes me a lesser pilot then we can duel and prove who is really the lesser pilot. Of course I will lose the duel (against most AvA pilots) and it will prove you are a better pilot. I will have known that from the start, everyone else too. :) We will be back to square one. Me, the lesser pilot/player/man still taking his Head On shots now and again. So we really don't have to duel since it will prove nothing and nothing will change. ;)

All that aside I hope a few of you had fun with my squad despite the head ons.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2006, 10:01:52 PM »
Your much nicer than I am Nifty! :D
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

storch

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2006, 06:21:16 AM »
most of us were in tonies the whole time. eagler, oldman and myself were in the tony exclusively.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2006, 10:18:48 AM »
Originally posted by storch
most of us were in tonies the whole time. eagler, oldman and myself were in the tony exclusively.

Well, the stats page doesn't tell when pilots were flying what, but Eagler and Oldman both have kills and deaths in the A6M5b.

Doesn't matter, I won't fire on the initial merge in the AvA ever again. Of course, you won't find me flying in there again until Daddog says 332nd Squad Night is in the AvA.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2006, 11:14:45 AM »
Originally posted by Nifty
Well, the stats page doesn't tell when pilots were flying what, but Eagler and Oldman both have kills and deaths in the A6M5b.

Doesn't matter, I won't fire on the initial merge in the AvA ever again. Of course, you won't find me flying in there again until Daddog says 332nd Squad Night is in the AvA.

I've flown the Zeke this week, but I was flying the Tony during your squad's appearance, and I urged others to do so as well.

Nifty, there's no more a prohibition on HOs in the AvA than there is in the MA.  And as in the MA, you face the same response from some folks if you utilize the technique.  No real difference there.

I sensed that there were people in your squad who were feeling overwhelmed, and that can be frustrating.  But you ought to give the place more than one night's worth of attention before you decide that it isn't for you (heck, I even go into the MA now and then!).

- oldman

storch

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2006, 11:53:33 AM »
332 flying mongrels.

Nifty, the thing with the AvA is that most of the regulars have years of experience fighting against some very accomplished players.  couple that to years of playing in a very narrow band of fighters, these guys know their rides very well.  myself as an example, I have flown in the AvA since my second day of my two week trial period in April of 2003, always in axis planes.

no offense intended here but you can't expect to come into that arena with your MA game play and survive long.  you just don't have the skills.  the fact is you guys attempted to HO me many many times, I was killed once in the HO by an F4F.  shame on me.  from that point on out all I did was kill kill kill until I got bored with the lameness of it all and logged off.  for my $.02 some you guys might need just a bit more TA time.  take a page from sondog's notebook, ask him to help you with your ACM.  any time you think you need an unforgiving sparring partner look me up.

storch
riot act reader for JG54

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2006, 11:55:17 AM »
Just for the record, if you give me a shot I will take it, head on, front quarter, side, or rear quarter. Cold merges are for the DA, unless you have an understanding with someone in the AvA, HO's are OK.

Having said that, most merges I wont HO because I am usually trying to gain angles with a lead turn, not going for a shot. BUT, if it is to my advantage I WILL[/i] shoot you in the face in a heartbeat and not even think twice about it.

Nifty, give it another chance, while you see less HOs in the AvA there is not a rule, not even a gentlemans agreement, against them.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2006, 01:51:39 PM »
Storch, you're  point's well taken...you guys know these planes backwards and forwards.

I (almost) never HO, since it loses way too much in angles. I also practically never get HO'd, since a lead turn or immel gets you off guns way too easily.

But I also logged "from the lameness of it all" -- but because of the other side, the AvA regulars.

There is absolutely no reason for experten to gang. I did four sorties, with 4 different tactical approaches, always taking into account the advantages and disadvantages of the matchups. Only the 4th sortie had any semblance of a fight, since on each of the other ones I got ganged. My lone spit V headed north enroute to what should have been a furball, got jumped by 2-3 zekes that had already climbed 2K above.  Capable opposition and big E disadvantage made that essentially hopeless, since the Zeke does everything the V does, but better. Next sortie, P-40, wider spwing to grab a bit more E before engagement... juimped from WEST by 2 Ki-61s with 4-5K alt advantage. Again, no chance, Ki MUCH faster and these guys already with E. Third sortie plain old gang attack.

Only time I made it to the main fight was when I upped from another base and came from the east. As I flew over the "fight" [lol] I saw 2-3 red "vets" on each allied plane. I went to the far side of the axis base, and found a zeke coming in co-alt. We had a nice, indeterminate fight (energy vs turnfighter) until I messed up the envelope, stalled, and had to dive out...but without enough alt to overcome the zeke-5's nearly equal speed ability. My mistake, but annoying matchup when the allied "E-plane" is barely faster than the axis TnBer.

Honestly, I fly for the fight and I do what I can to learn more as I go. I've given the CT/AvA 2-3 meningful tries over the 2.5 years I've played, and each time I've come to the same conclusion: It's a tiny MA, nothing more. The casual AvA'ers have all the annoying tendencies of the MA'er, including ganging, vulching, etc. The AvA regulars are often excellent pilots, but they tend to be "clubby" -- more interested in their group than anything or anyone else.* The 332nd arent in the club, so it was us against them....and for some reason the regulars took the better planeset instead of taking a handicap for the new guys.

Honestly, its no surprise to me that the arena is usually near empty. You had a big influx with the name change, and I can guess why they left.

*(Oldman is and always has been a gentleman and an excellent host, welcoming new guys and going out of his way to make the experience good. But, there's only so much he can do since the gameplay is the sum of the players present.)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 02:15:42 PM by Simaril »
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2006, 02:18:33 PM »
sorry, didn't mean to make it a HO *itch session.
like I said I'll take the Ho's and the numbers anyday as it was pretty easy to avoid them, don't think I was downed by any. Once you know they are going to ho you just have to react sooner than you would if they didn't especially if the ho'er is in a spit5 with its lazer beam cannons :)

ps

I do not think I am not "clubby" as I am the last of my squad in AvA if not all of AH
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2006, 03:03:33 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler
I do not think I am not "clubby" as I am the last of my squad in AvA if not all of AH

I think you know who he was talking about.