Author Topic: Xbox360 vs Playstation 3  (Read 590 times)

Offline Jebus

• Nickel Member
Xbox360 vs Playstation 3
« on: September 12, 2006, 10:36:54 AM »
So right now i am going through John Madden Football with drawal.  I want to play it but i told myself the next game I buy will be for Xbox360 or Playstation3.  

So here is my questoin.  Should I go out and get Xbox360 or wait untill playstation3 comes out?:confused:

Which one is better, or better yet what one would you buy?

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
Xbox360 vs Playstation 3
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 11:17:46 AM »
good thing you don't live in Yorupe...  They won't be getting the playstation 3 for another 6 to 8 months...

:D

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Xbox360 vs Playstation 3
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 11:19:32 AM »
Nintendo Wii is much better:D

I'd pick the PS3.  PS3 has a SUPERCOMPUTER processor called the Cell

I'll get 2 playstation 3s.  I'll get one for myself and the other i'll sell it on ebay:D

Offline Jebus

• Nickel Member
Xbox360 vs Playstation 3
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 11:23:43 AM »
But i am hearing PS3 will be around 600 dollars and the games between 70 to 80 bucks.  That is alot of money.  Will PS3 be that much better.

I want to play Madden NOW!:cry

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Xbox360 vs Playstation 3
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 11:47:11 AM »
considering Xbox 2 is plain old DVD and PS3 will be blu-ray disks (10X the storage of DVD's ? ) I'd hazard a guess PS3 will be a bit better :aok
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Jebus

• Nickel Member
Xbox360 vs Playstation 3
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 11:51:23 AM »
So you guys wouldnt by 360. Ps3 is the way to go?

I am so confused.  Then why is 360 getting such great reviews.

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Xbox360 vs Playstation 3
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 11:54:04 AM »
Originally posted by Jebus
I am so confused.  Then why is 360 getting such great reviews.
because it's only competition is PS2 as far as game quality goes??
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
Xbox360 vs Playstation 3
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 12:59:54 PM »
I have never owned a console, nor do I plan on owning one. Here's the conventional wisdom, though:

PS3 is expensive and will have serious supply issues through the end of the year. If you're in the US, want a PS3, and don't want to wait in line/play lotteries/pay through the nose, expect February 2007 to be the time you can walk into a shop and pick one up.

Blu-Ray currently supports 25 GB discs. Expectation is for 50 GB dual-layer discs soon. Dual-layer DVDs can carry about 8 Gigs.
The lack of blue diodes for the lasers in the drives is one of the main constraints on PS3 production.
Microsoft is developing an external HD-DVD drive for the Xbox 360.
HD-DVD is the other blue-laser HD standard, and current reviews put both products at equal video quality. HD-DVD had a boost out of the gate since, A) it's similar enough to DVD that DVD asssembly lines could be used and B) Sony lost a lot of time bickering over DRM schemes. HD-DVD's drawback is that it doesn't carry as much data as a Blu-Ray disc (only 25 Gigs or something)

You'd think this XBOX/HD-DVD addon would be for movies only, and the plan would be to sell an XBX360/HD-DVD bundle for the same price as the PS3 at PS3 release. I suspect there might be a surprise here too: then you'd forget the little note that Toshiba announced recently the creation of hybrid DVD/HD-DVD discs, with a single DVD layer (4.1 GB) and 2 HD-DVD layers (25 GB). If microsoft installs these puppies, they can maintain backward compatibility while allowing all that bonus HD content (which, let's face it, is gonna be a bunch of full motion video anyway).

Reports on XB0X 360 vs. PS3 games are that the end result is pretty much the same. PS3's impressive Cell Architecture may be able to give much higher performance, but the codemonkeys haven't figured out how to squeeze it. The same could be said (to a lesser degree) about the Xbox 360's Triple PPC architecture.
In addition, Microsoft's Developer support has been noted as far superior to Sony's, which suggest that developer costs for XBOX 360 games are much less.

Sony will be launching an online service with the PS3, but the details are sketchy. The XBOX 360's service has generally been well received.

XBOX 360 has millions of consoles in use worldwide. Sony is betting that the current PS2 owners will maintain their loyalty to the PS3.

If you understand the console market like a triangle, with Hardware, Software and the User at the corners, Sony is approaching with a focus on Hardware -- they have by all accounts the most ambitious and complicated hardware out there. Microsoft concentrates on the software: the hardware is interesting, but the developer kits, online services, and the acquisition of game titles shows where their strength is.

What about the user?
Well, he's playing Madden on a Nintendo Wii. Graphics be damned, I want to use that controller to drop back for a pass, throw the ball downfield, make a fingertip grab, real it in, and stiffarm the fool who tries to stop me.

Offline nuchpatrick

• Silver Member
      • http://www.361stvfg.com
Xbox360 vs Playstation 3
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 03:01:35 PM »
I dunno my Mother's PS-2 died (yes, I did say my mother and no she doesn't share!) I know she really wanted a PS3, but she said it was a cold day in hell if she was going to pay 600 for a console. I'm not sure yet but I think she got a 360 now..  :rofl

I've always been a been a sony person but I likethe XBox/360 far better. The Nintendo stuff is all kiddie to me..and not too adult. And my 360 has been pretty flawless. The games & live are nice, some games have updates and addon's which I like. Its almost replaced my PC games as far as updates ect..

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
Xbox360 vs Playstation 3
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 03:05:16 PM »
use the money toward upgrading your PC. Then you can buy computer games for less money and use them longer.

the only reason to buy a 360 would be for Halo 3.
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
Xbox360 vs Playstation 3
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 03:42:34 PM »
mmmmm halo 3

Hopefully it won't have the bugs halo 2 did online.  too many cheaters to be worth my time unless i'm in a team with all people i know.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
Xbox360 vs Playstation 3
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 03:48:54 PM »
I consider Halo 1 almost on the same level as Goldeneye.

Halo to was to much purty to follow the story well eough.
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Xbox360 vs Playstation 3
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 03:58:11 PM »
i have seen and played Call of Duty 2 on a 360 and it is TOO AWSOME i would go for the 360

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Xbox360 vs Playstation 3
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 04:26:01 PM »
If the Wii's controllers work as advertised and aren't just a gimmick, look for the Wii to the be top selling console this year, barely squeaking out on top over the Xbox 360.  Recently, some of the proposed specs that were announced on the PS3 have been eliminated or lowered and development for it has proved to be rather difficult.  Most developers haven't seen a PS3 dev box yet and instead are forced to do their development on PCs using PS3 emulators.  The cost of development is also going to be a little more over the 360 and the Wii and the Blue-Ray technology isn't 100% yet and is still being worked on.  And from the demos I've seen, the graphics aren't really all that different between the Xbox 360 and PS3.  However, the graphics on the Wii are suprisingly good, I didn't expect that level of graphics from a console that is basically an upgraded Gamecube.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
Xbox360 vs Playstation 3
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2006, 05:02:38 PM »
Xbox360 is long time availible, and to be honest an Žold shoeŽ PS3 still not there. What was the question again?
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.