Author Topic: Looking to join a Rook squad  (Read 1149 times)

Offline TexInVa

• Nickel Member
Looking to join a Rook squad
« on: September 13, 2006, 05:51:40 AM »
A little about myself....

I've been flying AH for about 10 mos to a year under various names, including SETexMex when I flew for the Silent Executioners for the Bishops.

I left the SE squad when I got "fed up" with the Bishops and switched countries.

I'm still learning how to use a fighter. I prefer the A6M and Spit IX, but I'm willing to learn another aircraft. I'm a decent bomber pilot and an excellent C-47 pilot. I can usually hold my own in a gv. Because of my relative "newness", I was usually relagated to troop running and base resupply. I've gotten very good at it. I also believe strongly in wing formations (I have no problem being the wingman) and flying and fighting with my squadies.

I've been flying for thr Rooks for about 2 mos. now and I've only run into one squad, and promptly lost the vox channel, completely by accident. There may be other squads, but they haven't made themselves "known" to me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Anyway, I'm looking for a Rook squad to join.

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 02:37:15 PM »
For someone looking to fly with the Rooks there are a few options.  Probably the best is to plug yourself into a high voltage power source until the urge passes.  Alternate methods involve invasive brain surgury to physically remove the malignant Rook growths, chemotherapy, or jumping in front of a moving B-26.

Barring that you might want to pop into Rookville wearing a disguise so you can't be easily identified and ask around; I'm sure someone will be happy to help and give you the chance to fly with the various squads to see how you like them.  Your chances of an invitation go up if you bring inflatable sheep.

"Newness" has nothing to do with anything.  If you like to fly the A6M, fly the A6M.  Don't let the hoards tell you how to play the game, or make you feel stupid for not playing it their way.  This is a GAME and you should ENJOY it, eh?

If you're having trouble pop into the training arena; there's usually someone there who can help you learn the ropes.  This GAME has a horrible learning curve, so don't expect to be a golden arm overnight.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 02:40:54 PM by Puck »
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline TexInVa

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 06:29:18 PM »
I'll assume you don't like Rooks.

I didn't mean that I was going to stop flying the Zero, but that I was willing to learn how to fly whatever is being flown on "Squad Night".  I'm accustomed to squad night being like one huge mission, with "x" amount of B-17's, "x" amount of 110's, "x" amount of P-38's, etc. I've heard of squads that fly exclusive aircraft like era spits, American "P" class fighters or just jugs. That's fine with me as long as it's only on squad night. The rest of the time, I'll probably be in my panzer, c-47, lanc or Zero. Depends on my mood, I guess.

As for my fighter skill, I usually only up one in my warm up in the TA before MA or for base defense. I guess you could classify me as a mediocre fighter pilot. I guess it depends on the day. I sometimes do great (for myself) and sometimes I get nothing but an air conditioned cockpit.

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 06:37:20 PM »
By definition I don't like any country I'm not flying for at the moment.  Given I've been flying Knights for, oh, six or seven years...

I confess to having been a Bishop for a while, but it was the turn of the century, the system automagically put me there, and I was too young to know any better.

In all seriousness there are some good squads out there.  Keep an eye on the roster and ask if you can fly with one when you're on.  That'll give you a chance to chat with them and see what they're about.
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline 68KO

• Gold Member
      • http://www.68thlightninglancers.com
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 10:52:37 PM »
Come to the knights .
~Sue~ Mrs68KO!
My hubby (68KO) founded The 68th Lightning Lancers. :)

Offline TexInVa

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 03:00:32 AM »
Originally posted by 68KO
Come to the knights .

I may, but that depends on how this new setup shakes out. I really like it. I like being able to fly early war aircraft without being hammered by the later (read: bigger and faster) aircraft. A lot of rooks were playing for the short period I was in checking it out last night. I got to see (again) the teamwork and radio interaction I didn't see with the Bishops unless I was flying with my squad.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 07:29:42 AM »
Our squad flys rooks on Mondays nights. However our other two weekly squadnights are usually in the Special Events Arena.

I never could grasp the whole like or dislike folks because of a chess piece thing though.:huh

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline TexInVa

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 08:09:10 AM »
Originally posted by Shifty
I never could grasp the whole like or dislike folks because of a chess piece thing though.:huh

It's not the pieces, it's the mindset behind the pieces.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 09:48:32 AM »
Tex

Give us a look.  We're not Rooks but our squad ops are the best times I have.  Great bunch of guys that will really jump in and help you anytime you want it.

http://332nd.org/forum/index.php

"I never could grasp the whole like or dislike folks because of a chess piece thing though."

my hatred for bish and rooks has made it impossible to play chess in my house anymore ;) Took em all out with an airsoft gas blow back  (kidding) ;)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 09:50:39 AM by Dichotomy »
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Blixen

• Silver Member
      • http://475thfg.bravehost.com/
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 06:21:11 PM »
if u like having fun  and like the 38 look me up tex

Offline Eagle327

• Copper Member
      • 327th Steel Talons
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2006, 12:59:57 AM »
Tex.....
The 327th Steel Talons fly FSO's on Fridays.
Our squad nights are Wed 9pm ET and Saturdays. 10pm ET.
 Our vox is 127.  We are ROOKS. Tune in any night and see how it goes.  
You can do a " .f Eagle "  search to find us.

Poke around our website roster, meanwhile.
http//:http://www.327th.com
There is a "Recruit Application" there also, when you're ready.

Salute,
Eagle, Group XO
327th Steel Talons Squadrons
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 01:02:26 AM by Eagle327 »
Eagle, Group XO
327th Steel Talons Squadrons

"Keep 'em level, Mates. Greasy side down."

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 02:26:08 PM »
Tex,

You used the word, 'mindset,' which has more than one syllable; so, we have an immediate interest in you.  Also, many of our squad live just south of you in N.C.

Have a look at the recruiting message I just posted in this forum about The Hay Street Boys.

regards, T. E. Shaw
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 02:30:25 PM by TEShaw »

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Will be your wingman anyday!
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 06:21:04 AM »
Hey Tex,

I have flown with you on more than a few occasions.  Just give the word, and I am up to wing with ya anytime.  TwinBoom, TeeShaw and Eagle are all awesome guys and fun to fly with.  If you haven't joined up by the time you get this reply, let me know.  Gruppe Outlaws could use a sixshooter from Texas residing in Va.  Our CO is in Texas, but I am located north of you about 90 miles (go figure with a name like chilli) and another squadee recently moved to Chesapeake.  The rest are scattered  along the east coast and Canada a few in California and the mid west (none from Idaho yet).  

Keep up the good fight for Rookland!!    Don't go knight, you'll end up with a big clunky helment, an annoying asthmatic wheeze, and a red light saber ..... (oh, wait...... that's another game...... nevermind  :D )

Offline TexInVa

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 05:26:41 AM »
Thank you all for your recommendations and invitations. I'll be looking for all of you in the EWA.

Just as a side note, I left AH for a short while. I came back and my callsign has changed from "TexInVa" to "Flacco". Those of you who speak Mexican know that a) it means "Skinny" and 2) it's misspelled. The actual spelling is flaco, but it was already taken... ;)

See ya in the air!