Author Topic: New arena format Part 2 - Use this thread, don't open duplicates  (Read 35149 times)

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
New arena format Part 2 - Use this thread, don't open duplicates
« Reply #135 on: September 14, 2006, 07:08:16 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
Slash: with a touch of luck, tommorow.

HiTech
:aok

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #136 on: September 14, 2006, 07:09:52 PM »
Maybe this is just HT's way of seeing what they players really want without all the smoke and mirrors.

If the majority of the players want in the Early arena, that surely tells them something, doesn't it?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline VgasX

• Copper Member
« Reply #137 on: September 14, 2006, 07:10:22 PM »
With players spreading out, we are aware of the need for better tools to find and communicate with your buddies. We will be working on some new tools to handle this but for now that can be accomplished with the squadron message of the day. (MOTD). The squad MOTD will reach across all the Main Arena’s so the squad leader can be sure that everybody knows where to go on a given night.

Will we be able to edit who has access to MOTD for the squad? So when I'm not on my xo or one of my officers can post.:aok

Offline 4510

• Copper Member
Re: Re: New arena format Part 2 - Use this thread, don't open duplicates
« Reply #138 on: September 14, 2006, 07:14:20 PM »
Originally posted by Raider179

3)If the caps don't go back up to around 500 or more on an arena, I am gone. Had you told me this change BEFORE you charged my account I would already have cancelled. You as the company I would have thought owed the community a little "head's up" because this is a drastic change. Instead you charge me $15 bucks and then promptly alter the game that I used to love so much. Not very professional...

Whether the change is good or bad....

THIS is a HUGE point with me.....

Offline Eagle Eye

• Copper Member
Re: Re: Re: New arena format Part 2 - Use this thread, don't open duplicates
« Reply #139 on: September 14, 2006, 07:17:12 PM »
Originally posted by 4510
Whether the change is good or bad....

THIS is a HUGE point with me.....

I agree You saw what happened when COKE simply just changed the formula without asking! they lost billons!!!!!!!

Secondly I have a friend thats a Big cheese w coke he said they are just now getting that consumer base they lost back!

Offline Frodo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #140 on: September 14, 2006, 07:17:37 PM »
I love the changes.

It will be better for the newer player in the long run. When CT comes out, and If you get put in a plane you don't know anything about, you may be in trouble.

This will bring back a lot of players that left. :aok

Frodo

JG11 

TEAMWORK IS ESSENTIAL....IT GIVES THE ENEMY SOMEONE ELSE TO SHOOT AT.

Offline baine1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #141 on: September 14, 2006, 07:39:46 PM »
To me the problem isn't that I can't ride my ride.
To me the problem is that I can't fight my fight.
If you read the posts, it seems this is what a majority of the people are complaining about.

Logging on and finding a fun environment to fight in has become a major hassle.
Logging on and finding the friends that you look forward to hanging out with has become a major hassle.

The old MA was great because with numbers so large, you could always find the style of gameplay you wanted, be it furball or land grabbing.
If one base was being hammered, you could always up at another and you still had a very good chance of finding a fight.

The sudden avalanche of complaints you're seeing here, in my humble opinion, is evidence of a bigger problem facing the game, a problem that has not been addressed by HTC, but is as important for the long-term health of this game as any they can make in the arenas.

That is that these boards have become dominated by a few players who will brook no deviation from what they consider the proper way AH should be played. They will flame, flame, flame until only there voices are heard.

And, unfortunately, HTC seems willing to not only let this continue, but also to take the voices of these people as the voice of the community.

A vast majority of the AH community can't be bothered with going to the boards. They happily log on and fly and have no care about what's said on the boards. IF you'd polled these people on sunday, none would have said changes needed to be made.
That is why AH is strong, because HTC had hit upon a formula that most of their customers liked and enjoyed. How could you not love being able to log on at anytime day or night, be virtually guaranteed to find a fight and have your choice of flying any plane that caught your fancy. were there problems? Yeah, but they were minor annoyances. People liked the big numbers. That's why the MA was always filled and the other arenas only attracted a minor number of people who wanted something else.

That is the reason people are complaining now, is because the formula they loved has been replaced with a formula that they don't like. They'd voted for many years on this by participating in the MA and not the peripheral arenas.

Even then, I think most people would have been willing to give changes a chance. But this plan was implemented in such a clumsy way that even people who were willing to give it a chance were immediately faced with major problems that made them flock to the boards to complain.

One common thread I see in the posts is disbelief that HTC didn't think things through to recognize even the most apparent problems that would be faced or, even more unbelieveable, knew the kind of problems that customers would encounter but didn't really care enough to address before implementing the system.
 Think of how many posts would have been avoided if the new system had included a simple way for squads to communicate.
Think of how many posts that would have been avoided if, instead of a series of new arenas, they'd decided to take a baby steps approach and created only two new arenas.

Offline Irwink!

• Nickel Member
      • http://msn.com
« Reply #142 on: September 14, 2006, 07:43:19 PM »
I may as well chime in...

First impression: changes are a monumental mistake!

That said, I haven't logged into the game other than to peek around. I suspect that's probably the case for alot of people. Point being, I don't really know and won't really have a feel for the changes until I have given it a chance. I'm at least going to give it a chance. Right now I think I'm going to eventually come away still thinking that "The New Coke" sucks. But I am going to give it chance. I have been known to be wrong. I don't advertise the fact, but it has happened every now and then. :D

Offline PropNut

• Copper Member
« Reply #143 on: September 14, 2006, 07:45:46 PM »
Ive had more fun today than anytime in the past 2 years...great fights with some great pilots (much like the early days of AH) in the mid war arena , actual fights to the end without 15 dweebs in LA7s blasting in for a quick cheap kill....fantastic:aok   This aint "New Coke"  this is giving us back our "Classic Coke"  I love it and wish it had been done years ago.  almost forgot .....its also such a relief to see ch 200 with very few internet tuff guys pounding their chest on how they coulda, shoulda ,woulda killed you.  Ohhh and Pass another Classic Coke :D

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
« Reply #144 on: September 14, 2006, 07:48:27 PM »
I don't think any company should listen to the 24/7 crowd. The only game that will satisfy them is something that will turn off the people that play 2 hours a day.

I was gonna come back, but took a look at it and said- "nah- ill get a 3rd job - it'd be easier and pay more!" :p

This game is extremely complex and not for casual gamers.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #145 on: September 14, 2006, 07:52:21 PM »
well stated  Propnut.  

Im all for it.  Unfortunately some folk might need to go find a "funner" game somewhere else, but the new folks coming in will have a better experience starting off because of these changes.  HTC has figured that out apparently.

WTG HTC :)
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Triumph

• Copper Member
« Reply #146 on: September 14, 2006, 07:55:33 PM »
Ok...this multi-arena thing os ok but I think they should have left the main arena as it was. I can't find the guys in my squad. I've got to search 5 arenas every 15 min and try to round them up. I cought one guy taking bases in the arena with 6 people in it, another bombing deserted strat-targets, and another HO-ing everything in sight with a HURRI-2C in the early arena.

Bring back the main arena...and keep the extra arenas for the 2% that actually want them.

If an arena is full...I cant even get in to round up the guys in my squad.

Am I the only one that feels this way?

or Should we say nothing?
<<<Triumph>>>

Offline Casper1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #147 on: September 14, 2006, 07:58:02 PM »
Originally posted by Edbert1
I think the EA is crowded because so many players have really wanted to try those planes but their ability to do so was hampered by having to deal with 1945 rocketships zooming them then running away. Over time I expect the balance to shift toward the late war, but for now early war is simply different. You have to admit that for six years the MA has pretty much been a late 44-45 arena for the most part.

Explain if you will how anything anywhere can "be over 100%" of the total.

What he said!  :aok

Offline PropNut

• Copper Member
« Reply #148 on: September 14, 2006, 08:00:33 PM »
I cought one guy taking bases in the arena with 6 people in it, another bombing deserted strat-targets, and another HO-ing everything in sight with a HURRI-2C in the early arena

Maybe your right we need a MA....  those guys are MA material for sure.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #149 on: September 14, 2006, 08:03:54 PM »
Originally posted by Triumph
Ok...this multi-arena thing os ok but I think they should have left the main arena as it was. I can't find the guys in my squad. I've got to search 5 arenas every 15 min and try to round them up. I cought one guy taking bases in the arena with 6 people in it, another bombing deserted strat-targets, and another HO-ing everything in sight with a HURRI-2C in the early arena.

Bring back the main arena...and keep the extra arenas for the 2% that actually want them.

If an arena is full...I cant even get in to round up the guys in my squad.

Am I the only one that feels this way?

or Should we say nothing?

My vote is "say nothing" Your rhetoric now occupies 8 threads. Thank you...we know how you feel.