Author Topic: Muslims dont like the Pope  (Read 4874 times)

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
Muslims dont like the Pope
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2006, 12:32:20 PM »
Hello Ack,

Originally posted by Ack-Ack
Please tell us what concrete scientific data have any of the ID/Creationist provided that show that man and the universe was created by some omnipotent being?

While all the evidence of Evolution hasn't been discovered yet, what has been discovered has shown evolution happening.  Again, to cite an exampe again...whales.  Why do whales have a pelvic bone?  Is it because they were at one time mammals that lived both on land and in the ocean until eventually the evolved into pure marine mammals or did God just make a mistake and add an extra bone?

ack-ack

You present me with a hill and ask me to roll the "evidence" boulder, Sisyphus like, up it. We both know that when it reaches the top it will roll down the other side and I'll have to choose to give up the endeavor or begin again without any real hope of reaching a goal. I think we both know that there are no evidences I could provide that would change your mind on this. If I can try to make some distant tenuous connection to the original subject of this thread there are many people in the world who will never believe that Islam actually promotes violence, no matter how much evidence of that fact accumulates in the news media. One can even point to the history of the origins of Islam and its fundamental doctrines, and yet get nowhere because of an unshakeable presupposition that "Islam is peaceful." If Islam is peaceful then the only evidence that will be admitted is evidence buttressing that claim.

Anyway, if you want an answer with ironic origins to your "Whale Pelvis" homologous structure question here is a refutation from a Muslim scholar -  
http://www.trueorigin.org/ng_whales01.asp
Or for other responses on this subject, try -
http://www.trueorigin.org/whales.asp
http://www.trueorigin.org/homology.asp

But what I personally find more interesting, is how in your question you actually make not a scientific but a theological argument, asserting that the existence of the extra bone would be "a mistake" if Creation was true. This assumes a lot about the nature of the Creator as well as the value of the bone itself (I haven't heard whales complaining about it, have you? ;) )

Anyway, not that it will make a whit of difference, but this is the same kind of argument that Darwin made throughout the Origin. As Dr. Paul Nelson pointed out:

While current evolutionists may not share (or in fact may be opposed to) Darwin's theological motivations, their use of the imperfection and homology arguments for descent presupposes the intelligibility of notions rooted in Darwin's theological metaphysics. The notion of perfection as an observable quality of organic design, and the intuition lying at the heart of Darwin's metaphysics--that a rational and benevolent God would have created an organic world different from the one we observe--continue to inform the philosophical foundations of evolutionary theory (as should be evident from the passages I have cited from Gould above).

So what Nelson exposes in his paper, entitled "Jettison the Arguments, or the Rule? The Place of Darwinian Theological Themata in Evolutionary Reasoning" is that from the very beginning Darwinianism has followed a line of argumentation less well adapted to establishing Darwinian evolution, than it is for attempting to debunk the idea that the God of the Bible created the world. Which isn't exactly following the scientific ideal.

Anyway, having been converted away from an early adherence to Darwinianism as my chosen (and more than a little inherited) myth of origins myself, I can see from past experience the uncomfortable truth that Nelson is getting at. As the British author and poet Kingsley Amis responded to a question about his Atheism in an interview - "It's more than that. You see I hate Him." It seems like a contradiction, but at heart it makes a lot of sense. It's why a Pastor friend of mine, starts apologetical conversations with Atheists by asking in an amiable way, "so tell me, why do you personally hate God?"
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline AKH

• Nickel Member
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2006, 12:34:28 PM »
"Because current scientific evidence clearly contradicts beliefs held by Christian fundamentalists, there have been ongoing efforts, particularly amongst proponents of Dominionism, to support Young Earth creationism using selective reading of religious texts and argument via creation science. Proponents Henry M. Morris and John C. Whitcomb built on fundamentalist Christian work done by George McCready Price in the United States to contend that radiometric dating is not reliable enough to accurately measure long time spans. They provide alternative explanations through flood geology, which is a theory based on biblical inerrancy that ignores evidence from meteorites, the Moon and Mars and has been rejected by scientists. The scientific community characterises such efforts as pseudoscience."
AKHoopy Arabian Knights
google koan: "Your assumptions about the lives of others are in direct relation to your naïve pomposity."

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2006, 12:55:39 PM »
Hi Stang,

Originally posted by Stang
So how old is the Earth?  I'm curious to see how old storchita, Seagoon and other Creationists believe it is.  And please back your assertion up with evidence other than religious writings.  

Thanks.  I'm really just curious.  This isn't meant to be a troll in any way.

I don't know, I have yet to find a place in the Bible that tells me exactly how many years ago the earth was created. Ussher and Lightfoot did attempt to work out an exact age based on chronologies, but unfortunately there are some gaps in those.  

I do know however, that scripture tells us that just as man was created with the appearance of age (we are not told Adam was created as an Embryo, he was created a full-grown man), so too, the universe was  created with the appearance of age. The trees and plants were grown, the dirt and stones were already there, as were the rivers, streams, mountains and valleys. The stars were already visible in the night sky, and we believe that it takes in some cases many millennia for their light to reach us and become visible, and yet we are told they were always visible from earth after their creation. Therefore, if I do believe in creation, and I do, then I know for certain that physical phenomena simply cannot guide me to an exact age for the earth any more than an observation of Adam immediately after his creation would have led me to conclude "he's a few minutes old."

Frankly, I also don't worry that Socrates might not actually have existed simply because we have no direct evidence that he did. I didn't wait with baited breath to find out if there was really a King David, and then breathe a sigh of relief when archeological evidence for his existence was discovered. Most people don't live lives operating under a similar hermeneutic of suspicion, even people who demand "evidence" in order to believe the Gospel. Neither have I ever met an individual genuinely converted by physical evidence to a Christian worldview - the only thing that accomplishes that is not persuasion but rather a change of heart accomplished by the Holy Spirit.

Anyway, personally my conviction mirrors that of Charles Haddon Spurgeon, and yes, I know that this is the kind of thing people sneer at especially when they don't recognize the existence of similar opposing (and sadly often less coherent or successful) faith commitments in themselves:

"At one time I might have needed evidence to make me believe in the Lord Jesus, but now I know Him so well by proving Him that I would need a very great deal of evidence to make me doubt Him. It is now more natural for me to trust than to disbelieve. This is the new nature triumphing. It was not so at the first. The novelty of faith is, in the beginning, a source of weakness, but act after act of trusting turns faith into a habit. Experience brings to faith strong confirmation.

I am not perplexed with doubt, because the truth which I believe has worked a miracle in me. By its means, I have received and still retain a new life, to which I was once a stranger. This is confirmation of the strongest sort.

I am like the good man and his wife who had kept a lighthouse for years. A visitor, who came to see the lighthouse, looking out from the window over the waste of waters, asked the good woman, Are you not afraid at night, when the storm is out, and the big waves dash right over the lantern? Do you not fear that the lighthouse, and all that is in it, will be carried away? I am sure I would be afraid to trust myself in a slender tower in the midst of the great billows. The woman remarked that the idea never occurred to her now. She had lived there so long that she felt as safe on the lone rock as she did when on the mainland.

As for her husband, when asked if he did not feel anxious when the wind blew a hurricane, he answered, Yes, I feel anxious to keep the lamps well trimmed, and the light burning, lest any vessel should be wrecked. As to anxiety about the safety of the lighthouse or his own personal security in it, he had out-lived all that.

Even so it is with the full-grown believer. He can humbly say:

I know whom I have believed,
And am persuaded that He is able
To keep that which Ive committed
Unto Him against that day.

From henceforth let no man trouble me with doubts and questions. I bear in my soul the proofs of the Spirits truth and power, and I will have none of your artful reasonings. The Gospel to me is truth. I am content to perish if it is not true. I risk my souls eternal fate upon the truth of the Gospel, and I know that there is no risk in it. My one concern is to keep the lights burning, that I may thereby benefit others. Only let the Lord give me oil enough to feed my lamp, so that I may cast a ray across the dark and treacherous sea of life, and I am well content.

Now, troubled seeker, if it is so that your minister and many others in whom you confide have found perfect peace and rest in the Gospel, why should you not? Is the Spirit of the Lord straitened?...Do not [His] words do good to them that walk uprightly?& (Micah 2:7). Will you not also try their saving virtue?
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

storch

« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2006, 02:05:49 PM »
thank you for posting that seagoon it has been a while since I last read it.

Offline Rameusb5

• Zinc Member
« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2006, 02:23:04 PM »
Why are people so hell-bent on the opinion that Religion and Darwinism are mutually exclusive?

There COULD be a God and STILL evolution could still happen.  I don't think the point of evolution is to say that God doesn't exist.  The point is that it provides an explanation of WHY species evolve on the planet.  It explains a system of events.

Saying that evolution can't exist because God made all of the creatures on the planet is like saying Engineering can't exist because God makes your car go, not science.

Science and religion are NOT mutually exclusive.

Personally, I'm an agnostic.  The way I figure it, if there is a supreme being somewhere, he created the universe and has left it on autopilot for the last bajillion years or so.  With all of the unjust BS that happens on our world, it's hard to believe that there's an all-powerful being who watches over us and takes care of us.

One particularly annoying trait of the human race that I loathe is the inability for people to accept that other people might not have the same believes or desires as they do.  Sometimes to the point that they'll KILL the other person just because they don't believe in what they do.  Intolerance is based on fear, which is based, for the most part, on ignorance.

As for the original post, I think the Pope was out of line.  A lot of people take what he says to hart, and he probably shouldn't be spouting off about other religions being "evil."  Particularly since religions themselves aren't "evil," but the people who follow them (ANY of them) sure as hell can be.

Don't get me wrong, the intolerances of the Muslim Exremests are unacceptable.  I'm just not a "fight idiots with idiocy" kind of guy.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2006, 02:31:32 PM »
Originally posted by Seagoon
Hello Ack,

It's why a Pastor friend of mine, starts apologetical conversations with Atheists by asking in an amiable way, "so tell me, why do you personally hate God?"

I don't because you can't hate something that never existed.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
HIJACK!!
« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2006, 03:13:53 PM »
Originally posted by Seagoon
Hello Ack,

You present me with a hill and ask me to roll the "evidence" boulder, Sisyphus like, up it. We both know that when it reaches the top it will roll down the other side and I'll have to choose to give up the endeavor or begin again without any real hope of reaching a goal. I think we both know that there are no evidences I could provide that would change your mind on this. If I can try to make some distant tenuous connection to the original subject of this thread there are many people in the world who will never believe that Islam actually promotes violence, no matter how much evidence of that fact accumulates in the news media. One can even point to the history of the origins of Islam and its fundamental doctrines, and yet get nowhere because of an unshakeable presupposition that "Islam is peaceful." If Islam is peaceful then the only evidence that will be admitted is evidence buttressing that claim.

Anyway, if you want an answer with ironic origins to your "Whale Pelvis" homologous structure question here is a refutation from a Muslim scholar -  
http://www.trueorigin.org/ng_whales01.asp
Or for other responses on this subject, try -
http://www.trueorigin.org/whales.asp
http://www.trueorigin.org/homology.asp

Ah...more links to religious scientific studies.  

Well, here is another Islamic website that has an article of P. D. Gingerich's discovery which had details that were curiously left out of the articles you linked.  But then I'm not surprised since you and other ID/Creationists only include things that try to show ID/Creationism as valid science.

Whale Valley: A Journey Through Time

Here is another article from The Zoology Museum.

Historic blue whale limbs

Here is an excerpt of an article written by Sir John Struthers.

Nothing can be imagined more useless to the animal than rudiments of hind legs entirely buried beneath the skin of a whale, so that one is inclined to suspect that these structures must admit of some other interpretation. Yet, approaching the inquiry with the most skeptical determination, one cannot help being convinced, as the dissection goes on, that these rudiments [in the Right Whale] really are femur and tibia. The synovial capsule representing the knee-joint was too evident to be overlooked. An acetabular cartilage, synovial cavity, and head of femur, together represent the hip-joint. Attached to this femur is an apparatus of constant and strong ligaments, permitting and restraining movements in certain directions; and muscles are present, some passing to the femur from distant parts, some proceeding immediately from the pelvic bone to the femur, by which movements of the thigh-bone are performed; and these ligaments and muscles present abundant instances of exact and interesting adaptation. But the movements of the femur are extremely limited, and in two of these whales the hip-joint as firmly anchylosed, in one of them on one side, in the other on both sides, without trace of disease, showing that these movements may be dispensed with. The function point of view fails to account for the presence of a femur in addition to processes from the pelvic bone. Altogether, these hind legs in this whale present for contemplation a most interesting instance of those significant parts in an animal -- rudimentary structures..

And yet another one....

The Origin of Whales and the Power of Independent Evidence

Another excerpt of the article.

How do you convince a creationist that a fossil is a transitional fossil? Give up? It is a trick question. You cannot do it. There is no convincing someone who has his mind made up already. But sometimes, it is even worse. Sometimes, when you point out a fossil that falls into the middle of a gap and is a superb morphological and chronological intermediate, you are met with the response: "Well, now you have two gaps where you only had one before! You are losing ground!"

One of the favorite anti-evolutionist challenges to the existence of transitional fossils is the supposed lack of transitional forms in the evolution of the whales. Duane Gish of the Institute for Creation Research (ICR) regularly trots out the "bossie-to-blowhole" transition to ridicule the idea that whales could have evolved from terrestrial, hooved ancestors.

Just like there is substantial and overwhelming fossil evidece of the "Cambrian Explosion" there is substantial and overwhelming evidence that at one time whales lived on land.  But then as the above article states, you can't convince a Creationist that a fossil is a transitional fossil.  I'd probably have better luck squeezing blood out of a turnip.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2006, 03:18:35 PM »
"Muslims dont like the Pope"

Neither does NUKE!  

Therefore....

NUKE must be a terrorist.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 03:20:44 PM by Westy »

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2006, 03:23:43 PM »

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2006, 03:34:43 PM »
Speak of the devil. Look whats on the front page of yahoo today.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060920/sc_nm/ethiopia_fossil_dc_1

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2006, 03:38:00 PM »
Does the 3.3 million year old dead guy hate the pope too?

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2006, 03:39:26 PM »
Originally posted by dmf
Does the 3.3 million year old dead guy hate the pope too?

Girl.

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2006, 05:05:45 PM »
I guess all those that have to prove the Bible *scientifically* are a little short on faith.  If it could be proven scientifically ( which I don't for a second think it can be), it wouldn't require faith- it would have evidence.

I wonder about those who relish in the scientific evidence of some Biblical figure, almost as a redemption. Where was their faith?

My faith tells me the Bible is metaphor. No I don't have evidence. It requires faith. I have evidence of Pangea. I have evidence of ice ages. I have evidence of neanderthals. I have faith the Bible is metaphor. I also have faith that those who try to use the Bible as a scientific text are perverting it as much as those who use it as oppressive law.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 05:08:39 PM by BTW »