Author Topic: Walking around Toronto - Tour 2  (Read 291 times)

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
Walking around Toronto - Tour 2
« on: September 17, 2006, 06:41:40 PM »
This is the west entrance to our Ontario Legislature. At the front of the building today there was a military parade. There was a flyby with F-18's, helicopters etc.

This is one of the Marching Bands in the parade.

I'm now on Queen St. West. A very artsy-fartsy kind of district with lots of UofT students.

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 06:42:18 PM »
Now I have turned south on John St. toward the Ball Park and CN Tower.

In the distance is the north entrance to the Roger's Center (formerly Skydome where Blue Jays play)

Now I'm on Front St. at the entrance to the ball park and CN Tower looking East toward the financial district

I'm now in between the ball park and CN Tower looking toward the condominiums that line the lakefront.

The CN Tower: standing 1806 feet tall; Equal to 180 stories

A closer look at the under side of the CN Tower. You can see the first observation deck at 1100 feet. You can actually see the glass floor in this shot.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 06:46:42 PM by xrtoronto »

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 06:42:54 PM »
I liked the look of the reflection of the one tower in the glass of the other.

I bumped into a friend who decided to join me for coffee in the Marche located inside the BCE tower.

Last shot of the day is from Dundas Square shooting south toward the lake along Yonge Street.

Hope you enjoy these shots. My second time out walking around the city since I've purchased this camera. Comments welcome, as always.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 06:49:21 AM »
To get a little better color balance in pics like the very last one where the distance and sky is hazy, apply a mask where the foreground details transition to the far and sky, and then on the top part increase the contrast and brilliance or color saturation.  Might have to darken it a bit too.  Basically you need to compensate for the haze in the distance area so it matches the closer details.

It's not trivial, but most halfway decent photo editing software should be able to do it.  The latest photoshop elements should have enough tools to do it and it's not too expensive.  Adobe lightroom is also in beta test so you can try that out for free.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 06:57:24 AM by eagl »
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 08:21:17 AM »
all your pict look to be overexposed by 1/2 EV.

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 12:21:20 PM »
Thanks guys.

Eagle and Straffo, I have never tried to used a mask in Photoshop. I guess I better learn how. Had the same problem as before ... the shade areas were too dark, so this time I bumped up the gamma setting in PS by a factor of 1.5 to 2.0. I guess I bumped it too much.

Gets complicated when you want to get very good results. I still have allot of learning to do.

I will try working on another shot from yesterday. I took about 100 shots yesterday. If I get a result that is worthy of posting I will do so.

Any tips on how to mask?

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 01:52:10 PM »
Well before doing any photoshop just try to use the bracketing on your camera.

Bracketing (in French :D) mean doing several picture varying one parameter

I can explain but you would better open your user manual if you want to understand :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bracketing

I don't know what camera you have ,I myself have a canon 350D ,this camera got a +1/3 EV constant error on measuring.
I had to permanently correct it or use  the spot metering.

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 02:22:46 PM »
Originally posted by straffo
I don't know what camera you have

I bought a Canon Rebel XT a week ago Friday; It's still very new to me

The idea of bracketing is an excellent idea Straffo. I will take a notepad along to keep track of what parameter(s) I'm changing too.

btw: what does 'EV' stand for? (I am a noob at this);)

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 02:45:22 PM »
Exposure Value

Btw no need to track a notepad you can find all the information you want in the EXIF

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 05:22:11 PM »
This is another pic I snapped yesterday...I have worked on it a bit in a photo editor. Still not as clear (well defined) as I hoped for. Another challenge was the haze all afternoon hanging over the city.

I'm kind of eager to get out there and take some more shots but weather is not going to cooperate this whole week (we've only had 2 sunny days in the past almost 3 weeks!):confused: