Author Topic: Would it be possible to enable field guns?  (Read 568 times)

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Would it be possible to enable field guns?
« on: September 18, 2006, 09:52:31 PM »
....on the main triaining base?

As things are, it isnt all that easy to learn leads for 37mm ack guns. Films cant help, and its a hassle to hunt up volunteers to fly over bases in the TA.

But with field guns enabled, and with the lead computing sight turned on, an entire generation of anti-vulching warriors could be trained just by tracking the many overflights that happen nonstop in the TA.

I understand new guys might be likely to plink away and annoy others, but with damage settings low there isnt anything they could do to really interfere with others. In any case, they could be warned and disciplined for gunning just as they can be now for unwanted shooting from planes. There's absolutely nothing different about engaging without permission in the air, versus engaging without permission from a field gun.

I admit the request is selfish...nothing else I've tried has helped me get better at 37mm ground guns. I suddenly had the idea of cycling through targets with the tab key, getting a couple hours of experience seeing the correct leads for all flight situations over a base....but then found it wasnt possible.  :(
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline LTARokit

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 01:34:20 AM »
Simaril,  I'm in the training arena every Sunday at 4 pm Alaska time, 8 pm eastern time, and am usually there for a couple of hours.  If your there and see me in the arena feel free to give me a hollar and I'd be more than happy to up a few different rides, and assist any way I can to help you, or anyone else, improve on gunnery skills.

Rokit

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 06:11:13 AM »
enable the osty's and flaks too. Unless someone gets dumb enough to fly strait at my osty I have a heck of a time figuring out the lead.

Sundays get a bit crasy around here, but I might take you up on the offer LTARokit, if it applies to me too  :)

Offline LTARokit

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 08:12:43 AM »
Open house Bro.....Open house :cool:

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 07:14:08 AM »
Simaril, the problem is not everyone is as considerate as you sir.

GV's, Field guns, ships guns and PT boats at the default field have all been abused again and again and again. Which is why they are all normally turned off.

You can't have killshooter on and do same side training, so in the TA people can make a REAL nuisance of themselves. Worst of all in a field or ships gun you can't even tell where they are. Which makes spotting the problem and correcting it SO much harder.

I realise it makes practising harder. Best advice I can offer is find someone willing to help you train. Then do a H2H host, thus giving YOU the controls.
Then you can enable the lead computing gunsight, jump into a gun, and have someone buzz you.

If you need me to hook up with you for some practise just say the word.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 03:56:39 PM »
As Ghost mentioned it becomes a nuisance, but if you have a willing target, it shouldnt be a problem to go to any other field and practice air to ground gunnery.