Author Topic: Can I Buy Just A Mic Card??????  (Read 578 times)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Can I Buy Just A Mic Card??????
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 12:51:29 PM »
Originally posted by Drumss
I just bought a new logotech  head set yesterday and still not working.

Had similar problems getting my microphones to work - always!  I'm afraid it's one of those things you just have to keep fussing with.

Here's something to check that - twice now- I have missed:  Is your microphone turned on?  With the Logitec headsets, in particular, it is very easy to accidentally turn off the mic (you get a blinking light on some when it's off).  

Also, the volume may be turned way too low.

Dumb sounding, I know, but I figure there are probably other people like me out there, and you might be one of them.

- oldman

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2006, 12:54:27 PM »
not dumb at all oldman... I can't count the number of times I've hit the mute button on my headsets (s) without knowing it.  Being who I am I never think of the simple problem and have spent many hours going through settings etc just to realize that I've muted the darn thing.

Makes me feel stupid EVERY time.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Auger

• Nickel Member
      • AKs Home Page
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2006, 01:25:32 PM »
This is going to sound over simplified, but it's often the simple stuff that messes you up.

1.  Make sure the microphone connector is plugged into the mic jack.  I have plugged the mic into a speaker jack more times than I want to admit.  Verify with the sound card manual that what you think is the mic jack is actually the mic jack.  The mic jack tends to be red or pink, but some manufacturers like to be "special".

2.  This is for Windows XP.  Under Start/Settings/Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices, go to the Audio tab and make sure your sound card is selected as the default device for Sound recording.  Also go to the Volume tab and check the box for "Place volume icon in the task bar".  Click OK.

3.  Right click on the Volume icon in the tray and select Open Volume Control.

4.  Click on Options/Properties.  In the "Adjust volume for" box select Recording.   Make sure the Microphone box is checked in the "Show the following volume controls" box.  Click OK.

5.  The volume control window should now have the title Recording Control.  Put the microphone volume slider all the way to the top and make sure the Select box is checked.  The balance slider should also be centered.

6.  Open Start/Programs/Accessories/Entertainment/Sound Recorder.  Click the red button and start talking.  The green line should go all squiggly when you speak.  Click the stop button (black square).  Click the Play button (triangle pointing to the right).  You should hear what you just said.

If this doesn't work, either the sound card or the microphone are probably bad.  Before you rip out the sound card though, see if you can download the latest drivers for it.  Uninstall the existing drivers, reboot, and install the new drivers.  Go through steps 1-6 again.  If it still doesn't work, it may be a bad card.