Author Topic: attitude adjustment  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
attitude adjustment
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2001, 09:04:00 PM »
Jeeeze... guys; cut Cit a little slack. It took a whole lot more effort for him to place that post than it does for ANY of you to slap at him from the sidelines...

... look; the difference in a dogfight between the loser and the victor is more often than not is determined by the fierce and violent nature in which the pilots pursue the fight. Ferocity and aression COUNTS! When it get right down to the nitty-gritty the guy that WANTS it the most; gets it.

That's why the most succesful fighter pilots have turned out to be, almost without exception; very agressive, antagonistic, arrogant, dominating and supremly confident individuals... and even more so in the cockpit. They don't mean to be insulting for insultings sake.. it's part of the ritual. When yer inna fight; especially the multiple bogie fight; the 'bad dog' comes out; and gawdammit; woe betide the person that unwittingly catches his attention.

Often that looked for <S> you were hopin to get for dying in front of this guys guns goes untyped; because the instant your a/c became 'not a factor' the immersed agressor has already locked his SA on someone else... and that someone else is soon to be the next victim. These pilots at this skill level are not about to engage in 'friendly banter' while the blood is boiling.

Don't fault the guy for who he is... he IS human. He DOES die. He hates to die.. to lose so intensely it (the fight) and the victory are paramount. His entire force of being is poured into that virtual airplane, and he's not about to be charmed into a salute; win or lose, unless it's just the two of you ALONE in the area.

I think the guy would make a heluva trainer... 1 on 1 in the TA is NOT a MA furball. It's a diffrent world, and DIFFRENT 'rules' apply. He knows that.

So lighten up... and when you run across this 'master' in the MA, shut up and die like he suggests... everybody will be much happier.  :)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
attitude adjustment
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2001, 09:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hangtime:
Jeeeze... guys; cut Cit a little slack. It took a whole lot more effort for him to place that post than it does for ANY of you to slap at him from the sidelines...

The problem as I see it, Hangtime, is that the events and actions leading to this post shouldn't have happened in the first place.  Why should people congratulate Cit for finding the strength and courage to not be an amazinhunk anymore?  

That's why the most succesful fighter pilots have turned out to be, almost without exception; very agressive, antagonistic, arrogant, dominating and supremly confident individuals... and even more so in the cockpit. They don't mean to be insulting for insultings sake.. it's part of the ritual.

When I worked in customer support, I was always taught to "smile from the wrists down."  Meaning, of course, that no matter how angry or frustrated I was with someone online, I could yell, spit, curse, and break things in person all I wanted so long as I kept it under control when typing to them online.  There's a disconnect between one's brain and his fingers on the keyboard; typing angrily is not as instantaneous as shouting out obscenities.  You can type it out, but in the end, you can always delete it before you hit Enter.  I just can't buy into this idea that Citabria or anyone else somehow lacks control because of an aggressive, competitive personality.

As well, it takes just as much effort to cuss people out after being shot down as it does to congratulate them for a good fight.  It also takes just as much effort to say something nice as it does to say something nasty after you shoot them down.  If someone is flying too hard to respond at all, that's one thing.  But nobody flies too hard to respond respectfully.

I think the guy would make a heluva trainer... 1 on 1 in the TA is NOT a MA furball. It's a diffrent world, and DIFFRENT 'rules' apply. He knows that.

I agree.  I think Cit would make an excellent trainer.

So lighten up... and when you run across this 'master' in the MA, shut up and die like he suggests... everybody will be much happier.    :)

I'd just as soon shoot him down.  But that's just me.    :)

-- Todd/DMF

[ 07-05-2001: Message edited by: Dead Man Flying ]

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
attitude adjustment
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2001, 11:45:00 PM »
Right on DMF! I tend to agree... what I was trying to do was give folks an insight into the midset that creates the situtation... not issue a license to behave like a jerk with a keyboard because a virtual plane lost a wing to a lucky shot.  

"Smiling from the wrists down" is not a trait most of us come by at birth. It IS however possible to learn how to do it.. and I get the impression Cit's trying to pick up this talent as well... and it's in our best intrest to help him on the path..

<zen moment>

Now; back to the regularly scheduled ass-whuppin.  :)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline wolf37

• Copper Member
attitude adjustment
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2001, 01:14:00 AM »
Citabria:

I lost a great deal of respect foer you a long time ago. But that was between you and I. As for you wanting to tame your outburst a bit, maybe I could throw a suggestion your way. As I too had my out buirst a lot of the times, and it is one of the reasons I cancelled my account. I was letting the game get to me waaaaaaaaaaaay to much, so I took a break. well heres the idea I think might help justa bit.

set your key board up so that to send a messsage on the open channle, you have to hit three keys. now as this is annoying to do, it gives you that itty bitty chance to think to your self,

Oh hell, that guys not worth it, because I a way better pilot then him, I'll just smoke his bellybutton the nect time.

Now it does not always work, but it does some times. I'm sure I cut my " You loser ostwind " comments down by at least 50%. and when you think back to tours 9 through 14, there where a lot of " You loser ostwind" comments made by me. And yes, I still think anybody using a ostwind to sit at the end of a runway to pad there score is a loser, but thats just me.

Cit, I have always know you where a very good pilot, and think you would be a great trainer. best of luck to you.

Offline paintmaw

• Copper Member
attitude adjustment
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2001, 03:12:00 AM »
breath deep , it troubles them to know you've decieved the web they've woven

your magnetic ink

:confused:  <SALUTE>

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
attitude adjustment
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2001, 03:15:00 AM »
Cit, there are 2 good solutions to your problem:

1:  Don't get shot down.  ;)

2:  Take the "/" key off your keyboard.

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
attitude adjustment
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2001, 04:50:00 AM »
Cit i know how u feel.

I hate it too to be shot down and it happens much to often to me  :D

But there are couple of ways to overcome this "bad" attitude.

1st i decided that only the score in one plane (D9) is in any way important to me, so i am free to throw away other planes as often as i want to.

2nd i wanted to have more and faster action, so i flew more and more fighter bomber missions. Go in low hit hard and dont care for returning, after a while a death is no big issue anylonger.

3rd if i am killed while flying my score dweeb ride DORA 9, i will 1st of all look if i did a stupid mistake so that i can blame me for it and not to have to pound on the guy that killed me.

And 4th, if i was engaged in a real good fight (which is quite hard in the MA, cause most kills there are more or less already clear from the initial position of both combatants) or i am constanlty killed by the same pilot (like feed or u atm) i try to ask em for some improved ACM they use and i am willing to learn from em something new (OK maybe there a few pilots that can show u something new, but I still face many superior pilots in AH).

That are my 4 golden rules since flying AH and even to great parts back when i flew FA2.

P.S. I still cant overcome the fact, that if i am victim of one of those 1 ping eng/rad deaths in D9 or a 800 yrds hispano or 0.5 cal spray and pray shooter, i am getting very very angry. U should see all the bite marks in my computer table  ;)

Offline Tuomio

• Nickel Member
attitude adjustment
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2001, 05:58:00 AM »
Bah, u bunch of stick stirrers. Eat stereoids and drink beer while flying, cuz i have fun watching all that bashing and flamming on the channel 1, while i grab my alt and typokill you all!

;)

No serious, you guys should relax a bit...

(disclaimer, pics are not from me)

[ 07-06-2001: Message edited by: Tuomio ]

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
attitude adjustment
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2001, 07:13:00 AM »
Check the ego in at the coatroom before ya hit the "E" key.  Simple.

Always worked for me.

Good luck Cit in your quest, it's gona be a long road, but if you put the effort forth to it as you do your flying, you should be OK!
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
attitude adjustment
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2001, 08:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tuomio:
(disclaimer, pics are not from me)

Nah, they're from me.   :D

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
attitude adjustment
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2001, 08:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by paintmaw:
breath deep , it troubles them to know you've decieved the web they've woven

your magnetic ink

:confused:  <SALUTE>

"keep on thinking freely"

Moody Blues
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline duffus

• Zinc Member
      • http://explorer
attitude adjustment
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2001, 06:08:00 PM »
How do you get "your blood boiling" The best I can do is Heartburn.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
attitude adjustment
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2001, 06:40:00 PM »
Whut dikie-mo dweeb rolls with a filter? Must be some pretty skanky off-white herb.. prolly grown inna cincinatti subway tunnel.

Pesants.  :D

...at home, or abroad.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
attitude adjustment
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2001, 07:00:00 PM »
Maybe he's using it to hold the shape of the paper so that he can slip a tippie(rolled up cardboard or note cards) in there later on Hang?
-SW

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
attitude adjustment
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2001, 10:37:00 PM »
That's not a filter, we call it a "roach"* in GB.   It's a bit of rolled up card like Swulfe says.   Ya put it in the J so that ya can smoke all of it (ie not waste any) without burning your lips off......also keeps ya from inhaling tobacco.

In civilized countries like The Netherlands they sell little booklets of perforated cardboard you just tear off and roll.  That's what that is in the pic, hence it looking very neat and white......like a filter.  In London, roaches are generally made from London Underground travel tickets.......God send I tell ya.

Um.....I heard somewhere anyway.

*  Not that kinda roach, I've never, ever, seen a cockroach.  Ever.  Kinda rare in Britain.  Seen plenty of cardboard roaches though......