Author Topic: New settings...gratifying results  (Read 337 times)

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
New settings...gratifying results
« on: September 29, 2006, 05:27:10 PM »
Today I revisited some of the downtown area that I have previously photographed. The purpose was to test more new settings; I am using A-Dep this time. Major difference is the clarity across the photos. The colours are very realistic. The contrast is good. These shots today I am most satisfied with to date. Still a long way to go, but again, I'm seeing improvement and that is encouraging. (particularily after such a long period trying to reslove the issue with too much contrast)

Some of the skyscrapers; shot from shade area into the sky:

Shot from the new City Hall, looking SE down Bay St. toward Queen St.:

Shot of Old City Hall from across Bay Street:

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 05:31:12 PM »
What is A-dep, toronto? Is that aperature priority?  The photos look good. Ddi you play with exposure compensation?

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 05:44:57 PM »
A_Dep is auto depth of field. And yes, I manually set the exposure compensation in many of the 35 shots from today; first time I've tried either.

It has taken me this long to begin to understand the basic operation of all these settings. I'm sure everyone knows there is a pretty steep learning curve when you first pick up a camera and start to learn. Finally, it's beginning to sink in.

I'm going to test if I can reproduce this same depth of field by using a small aperture (or larger f-stop) in the near future.

Purpose is to learn all the tech stuff so I can operate this camera adequately and then go out and compose some interesting shots.

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 05:47:33 PM »
yes you start to be ¶ħē squid-meister !! ;)

nice photos btw!
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 05:50:12 PM »
A dep is a mode where you can use the EOS to compute the aperture needed to have the correct deep of field.

Imagine you have 3 matches in front of you :

One a 1 meter (or yard or whatever unit you prefer) another at 2 meter and the last of the 3 at 3 meter.

If you want all matches to be on focus you have either to set you camera to Aperture mode "guesstimate" the correct aperture to have a deep of field making all 3 matches focused ,use the DOF tester on you camera (and notice your guess was wrong)

In short a mess for lazy people like me :)

In ADep mode you focus on match1 ,next on match 3 , the camera will compute the optimum aperture ... obvioulsy you shot fosuing on the 2nd match ;)

check this : http://www.vad1.com/photo/autodof.html
it's perhaps clearer than my post
(I'm heading to bed)

@Toronto : made some photo today I noticed that my 350D allways overexpose in result program when it's allway correct in Tv/A mode ...

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 05:51:01 PM »
Originally posted by xrtoronto
A_Dep is auto depth of field. And yes, I manually set the exposure compensation in many of the 35 shots from today; first time I've tried either.

It has taken me this long to begin to understand the basic operation of all these settings. I'm sure everyone knows there is a pretty steep learning curve when you first pick up a camera and start to learn. Finally, it's beginning to sink in.

I'm going to test if I can reproduce this same depth of field by using a small aperture (or larger f-stop) in the near future.

Purpose is to learn all the tech stuff so I can operate this camera adequately and then go out and compose some interesting shots.

I'm always learning new tricks with me digital SLR as well.  I also learned that messing with EC while using a shaded UV filter in bright sunlight can mislead you! DOH! Anyway, good luck, you seem curious enough about your camera that you'll become an expert in the subject.  

I am anxiously awaiting my 80-200mm AF-D lens! It's killing me!  I have a Hoya 77mm UV filter that arrived today, and its big!  Looking at this filter makes me realize how much wider this lens will be compared to the 70-300mm lens!  As well it should be, as its f2.8.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 05:56:42 PM »
Ripnort, you should avoid using a filter , I put a filter only when there is a risk for the lense, a lense hood is a good protection and more usefull.

Offline Casca

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 06:38:37 PM »
I've been enjoying your pictures of Toronto.  I used to live on Queen St. East exactly across the street from the trolly yard.  I assume that it's long gone by now.
I'm Casca and I approved this message.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 06:52:15 PM »
Is that Toronto?  Or a model of Toronto?

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 07:12:20 PM »
Originally posted by Casca
I've been enjoying your pictures of Toronto.  I used to live on Queen St. East exactly across the street from the trolly yard.  I assume that it's long gone by now.

Hi Casca, I grew up in the west end. I don't know if I've ever travelled Queen E. beyond the beaches. Street cars are still in use, so it's possible the old trolly yard is still there.

What was the intersection? Queen and ?

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 07:16:10 PM »
Originally posted by eskimo2
Is that Toronto?  Or a model of Toronto?

Geez, it looks like a scale model.

The building you highlighted is Old City Hall and just underwent a complete restoration and sand-blasting. After more than 100 yrs a building gets mighty dirty...I had no idea there was so much colour and detail in this building. They only completed the work earlier this year.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 07:31:43 PM »
Originally posted by straffo
Ripnort, you should avoid using a filter , I put a filter only when there is a risk for the lense, a lense hood is a good protection and more usefull.
Is hugging the sideline in a tackle football where you get bulled over in plays occasionally grounds for using protection? :D  I kindly disagree.  I use both as one should always use some sort of UV filter, multi-coated better yet, whether it is a clear filter or otherwise, in order to protect your investment. That's my opinion, and shared by many photography enthusiasts.  You get what you pay for regarding high quality glass filters. YMMV.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 07:45:43 PM by Ripsnort »

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2006, 12:40:53 AM »
filter is probably a lot more fragile than your objective lens.
nikon makes real tough products.