Author Topic: LW1 cap needs lowered.  (Read 2283 times)

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
LW1 cap needs lowered.
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2006, 05:14:15 PM »
To prove HTs point.

Before the change my play time was dropping for the following reasons.

I like to fly with guys I know. Doesnt have to be squadies just familiar names and pilots that I can learn how they fly.

From say January till June Ive been able to recognize fewer and fewer names in the MA. Both on my side and on the enemies side.

I like to chat with my enemies. I like to recognize my enemies by their fighting style it adds to the fears, thrills and joys of AH. I like to know my enemy.

MA was becoming an extreamly annonymous place where I didnt know anyone anymore which made me less tempted to log in. When I did I really didnt care as much about calling sixes as I usually do because who the foook carse about Joe Doe anyways.

Now after the change everytime I log on (fly either EW or MW) I recognize a good portion of the people on all sides. This makes the game more socially enjoyable and it helps me commit to the fight much more as I really like saving people I know.

So from my point of view HT´s theory, about over crowding beeing the nr1 problem of AH, is spot on.

Tex

Offline Hammy

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.leedsstarafc.co.uk
LW1 cap needs lowered.
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2006, 05:29:39 PM »
Because I belive that 600 people in 1 arena was far beyond, not was is posible, but rather what makes for better game play.

Better gameplay?

So you saying that splitting the community into 3 arenas will stop the Horde/HO/1 sided Gang mentality?

Think again HT.

I have been here 4 years and because  the chnges you made in the manner that you made them and the ensuing deletion of posts when people showed a tendency to disagree with you, I have cancelled my account and have no plans to renew in the forseeable future.

I know i'm not the only one that has done this.

Good luck with the rest of AH, i really mean that,but I fear, its gonna be more than luck you need.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
LW1 cap needs lowered.
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2006, 09:35:24 AM »
Hammy I have never deleted a post because some one disagreed with me.

HiTech

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
LW1 cap needs lowered.
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2006, 11:16:20 AM »
I think what will be interesting is to see if the landgrab "genie" can be put back in his bottle with the lower caps.  

I know back when I first started, the landgrab was a means to an end - you went and 'attacked' a field to find an A2A fight.  There were people who would just attack fields, but it seems to me that the pork n auger behaviour started after whatever game it was (AW?) folded and everyone came over here.  Coincidentally, that was when behaviour started to degenerate (in my opinion).  Prior to that, it was more of a "knights of the sky" attitude, after the huge jump in population it became more of a land-grab/horde focus (well, everyone can't be a knight!).

Now with smaller caps, the 'vets' will have more of an opportunity to teach new players how the game is played.  The real question is if there are enough 'vets' that enjoy A2A to put the focus of the game back on it, or will the newer (even then 'newer' means up to what, 3 years?) players will teach newbies that the focus of the game is on "winning the war" and grabbing as many undefended bases as possible.  

For the 'A2A' school to come out on top, there has to be a unique mixture of circumstances in place.  As I see them, they are

-  Small fights need to be the rule, not the exception.
-  Older players are willing to help newer ones.
-  Players need to be able to build up a reputation, for good or ill.

Small fights emphasize skill, as much as it can be.  Sure, players will still gravitate towards the "easy planes", but eventually they'll come to the realization that if they are going to enjoy the game, they need to learn how to fight.  That is where the second condition comes in.  Most, if not all, people need someone to get them started down the road to learning.  Lastly, a lack of anonimity promotes both civility, learning, and diversity in plane choice - if player A can get a reputation as being a great stick in plane X, other players may try plane X out as well, instead of just the 3 or 4 easiest planes.

For the land grab side to come out on top, only some of these conditions need apply

- large fights (when there are fights)
- large numbers in the arena
- a less than helpful attitude towards newer players.  

I think two out of three would be enough to ensure that the focus remains off of A2A combat.  Large fights de-emphasize skill, most kills are scored by blindsiding someone, or cherrypicking.  Large numbers encourage anonimity, and apathetic (or actively antagonistic) attitudes towards new players will push them into the horde/landgrab school.

Personally, I've always felt like the focus of the game was meant to be on A2A combat.  It seems evident that that area of the game is the most fully developed.  Bombers are modelled nicely, but there isn't anything for them to bomb.  Vehicles have been a sideshow for as long as they've  been around, although the new terrain that was added made that aspect of the game more immersive.

I'm pretty well burnt out on the game personally, I was half tempted to come back when the format changed but I don't think I will for at least a few months.  But I do still care about this game, and I'd love to see it thrive.  I honestly think that smaller arenas are the key to it.  As far as I am concerned, the highlight of my AH experience was in the 250 man small map arenas.  Wow, I guess I need a glossery and an index to go with this post :).

Offline whels

• Silver Member
LW1 cap needs lowered.
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2006, 12:23:50 PM »
Originally posted by Urchin
I think what will be interesting is to see if the landgrab "genie" can be put back in his bottle with the lower caps.  

Urchin unfortunantly, low arena caps have made land grab horde easier.
now when a side get a big # advantage, and the cap is reached, there is no way for people to log in to the arena and balance the #s.

aon avg since the change,  EW has had avg #s of 40 to 60 total with Rooks having #s advantage, usually 10 to 20,  MW same # total as EW
with knits/rooks having #s, usually rooks with slight edge.

LW avg 100 to 150 during day time US with maxed out  during evening time.  Bish enjoy a healthy #s adv  most time with it being 20 to 60 more
then either side. yesterday i saw bish have  double Rook #s, and abour 40 more then Knits.  

#s for the arenas show continually, we want the old MA arena, as the EW/MW  very low #s, and LW(old MA style) is where we want to be.

EW/MW are just rank/score padder heaven as there is none there to confront them, and if you do log in to fight them, they just log off or to another arena.  If  HT is gona leave arenas like this, then score/Rank need to be arena specific, but let perk points still apply in all.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
LW1 cap needs lowered.
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2006, 12:30:25 PM »
HiTech,
Out of curiosity, would you care to share with the rest of us the other more pressing reasons for the changes, or do you think that would probably not be a good BBS discussion? While I'm certainly interested, I doubt you want to spend your week fielding phonecalls answering the same question, but I can also understand if you don't want to try to tackle this on the forums.

Thanks,
hub
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
LW1 cap needs lowered.
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2006, 12:42:21 PM »
hubsonfire: There realy are no other resones than we have already stated.

And we have tried to state those as straight forward as we can.

HiTech

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
LW1 cap needs lowered.
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2006, 03:51:55 PM »
I guess I misunderstood Kev's post. Thanks HT.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
LW1 cap needs lowered.
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2006, 04:50:54 PM »
Don't think you missunderstood him, just when I read it, I realy couldn't think of anything  he could be refering to. I realy didn't tell him anything that hasnt' been posted, It is just much easyier for me to portray the issues via voice.

HiTech

Offline Kaw1000

• Silver Member
LW1 cap needs lowered.
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2006, 05:23:35 PM »
Is it hard to see that the arena that has the most players....is the arena that everyone wants to be in????...so translating that....people want to fight in the arena with the most action...If they can't get in, they are left to play in and arena they don't want to be in!....so ....that being said......put it back the way it was and you have a happy community again!!
  Now was'nt that easy to figure out??.........as far as as the community getting bigger,and the slop talk on channel 200....odds are If ya have more poeple your going to have more trouble makers!!...Is'nt that the way life in general is???
See Rule# 5 on just about every thread!

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
LW1 cap needs lowered.
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2006, 05:50:31 PM »
HT has indicated in other threads that the 5-600 peeps in an arena era is over-- they looked at the overall effects, and decided the negatives outweighed the plusses-- he obviously wants/NEEDS his account base to grow, and 1000 people in one room is gonna turn OFF more new people than it turns ON--- very intimitading for 2 weekers facing a horde of 500 enemies
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 05:55:40 PM by bj229r »
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Kaw1000

• Silver Member
LW1 cap needs lowered.
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2006, 06:15:50 PM »
Maybe.....maybe not;)
See Rule# 5 on just about every thread!

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
LW1 cap needs lowered.
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2006, 06:46:08 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
Don't think you missunderstood him, just when I read it, I realy couldn't think of anything  he could be refering to. I realy didn't tell him anything that hasnt' been posted, It is just much easyier for me to portray the issues via voice.

HiTech

I misunderstood something, but I think we're all on the same page now.
mook
++Blue Knights++