Author Topic: France to ban Public smoking?  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
France to ban Public smoking?
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2006, 05:00:38 PM »
Ya know, there are times I just have to shake my head and walk away.  As a general rule, people are really a hoot. :D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 05:02:41 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2006, 05:07:24 PM »
Originally posted by Debonair
farting bothers me more than smoking

Farting seems to bother my wife too, can't figure it out myself, but it means peace and quiet.  :D
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Samiam

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2006, 05:14:46 PM »
Originally posted by Dago
Ironic that smokers get all high-horse about their rights to smoke, but completely ignore the rights of non-smokers to live, eat and breath in a cleaner healthier environment.

Smoking stinks, is dangerous to health in almost every way, causes cancer,  contributes greatly to littering and filth.  Tell me again why someone thinks it is a good idea?

Because freedom doesn't mean being free to do sensible things that everyone agrees with. You don't need a bill of rights to protect that. Freedom means being free to make personal choices that violate other peoples sensibilities.

If you do not like smokey restraunts and bars, don't frequent them. The free market should choose whether bars and restraunts should be smoke free.

Offline takeda

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2006, 05:27:55 PM »
Originally posted by Samiam
Because freedom doesn't mean being free to do sensible things that everyone agrees with. You don't need a bill of rights to protect that. Freedom means being free to make personal choices that violate other peoples sensibilities.

Can you then like, for example marry your sister? (poor RedRadr)

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
Re: France to ban Public smoking?
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2006, 05:29:07 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
How do our french/EU citizens feel about public banning of smoking?

heh i dont care cuz i dont smoke, but hey if they would ban alcohol
now that would be a different story! :D
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2006, 05:39:13 PM »
Originally posted by Samiam

If you do not like smokey restraunts and bars, don't frequent them. The free market should choose whether bars and restraunts should be smoke free.

Dont you think your right to smoke should not in any way intefere with my right not to be exposed to the crap you put into the air?  

Do you really believe you have a right to foul the air and prevent me from going out, your right to overrides my right not to breath carcenogenic air?

You think I should stay home because you want the right to foul the air with toxins?

Maybe you should exercise your right to stay home, you can smoke your way into cancer and I can enjoy clean air.   That way we both get to enjoy our rights.  You to smoke, me to breath.  

If you stay home, my eyes won't burn, my body, clothes and hair won't smell horrible from your "rights", and I will enjoy a meal out or a drink with friends so much more.

Thanks for your consideration of my rights.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Samiam

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2006, 06:13:07 PM »
Originally posted by Dago
Dont you think your right to smoke should not in any way intefere with my right not to be exposed to the crap you put into the air?  

Do you really believe you have a right to foul the air and prevent me from going out, your right to overrides my right not to breath carcenogenic air?

You think I should stay home because you want the right to foul the air with toxins?

Maybe you should exercise your right to stay home, you can smoke your way into cancer and I can enjoy clean air.   That way we both get to enjoy our rights.  You to smoke, me to breath.  

If you stay home, my eyes won't burn, my body, clothes and hair won't smell horrible from your "rights", and I will enjoy a meal out or a drink with friends so much more.

Thanks for your consideration of my rights.

A. I don't smoke and I personally find cigarette smoke offensive.

B. I support reasonable restrictions on smoking in public places. Certainly the government can and should ban smoking in public buildings, if that's what the people desire.

C. However, I do not considder a ban on smoking in restraunts to be a reasonable intrusion of the government into the operation of a private establishment.

In the smallish city where I live, there were several non-smoking restraunts and two non-smoking bars BEFORE the collective nannyism decided that smoking should be banned altogether. The free market was voting with their dollars.

I enjoy going into any restraunt or sports bar without having to worry about a smokey atmosphere, but I do not believe it's a government protected right.

You say people should stay at home and smoke. I'm asking, how long until the nannyists decide that I can't smoke at home? (Again, I don't smoke, but in a free country I should be able to choose to).

I believe in reasonable government and that a reasonable place to draw the line is with privately owned establishments - where you have the free choice to frequent or not frequent one as you see fit for any reason, be it too much smoke or watered down drinks.

But the nannyists don't understand reason. They only understand excercising the tyrany of the many under the disguise of "the common good".

Again - being able to do what the majority of society finds acceptable is not freedom. Legislating away all "undesirable" behavior, no matter whether you are "right" or "in the majority" is NOT what this coutry was founded upon. An individual's right to make bad choices is exactly what freedom means, so long as those choices don't infringe on another individual's constitutionally protected freedoms - which does not include your right to go to any restraunt or bar and expect a smoke-free environment.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2006, 07:27:07 PM »
you should have the right to smoke any where or time you want , with a bag over your head. :lol

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2006, 09:34:45 PM »
A private establishment is still a public place as long as it is open to the public. Over here smoking is still allowed in private clubs that require some sort of membership, or private parties held at bars, restaurants etc.

As long as anyone can walk in without trespassing it is a public place.

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2006, 11:30:49 PM »
Originally posted by john9001
you should have the right to smoke any where or time you want , with a bag over your head. :lol

anti-smoking activists should stick a cork up their a-holes.
cigarettes are an appetite supressant so smokers fart less.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2006, 01:18:27 AM »
This isn't a french law per-se, just one that every member of the EU is following of has to follow. But I'm sure no one here is interested in that.
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Pei

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2006, 01:27:43 AM »
Originally posted by Saintaw
This isn't a french law per-se, just one that every member of the EU is following of has to follow. But I'm sure no one here is interested in that.

Besides, when did the French follow any EU directive they didn't like?

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2006, 02:41:52 AM »
Puff I don't PuffPuff think PuffPuffPuff it will annoy PuffPuff me I Puff stop smoking PuffPuffPuff between PuffPuff each cigarette Puff

Et Puff !

Offline Samiam

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2006, 09:06:43 AM »
Originally posted by Viking
A private establishment is still a public place as long as it is open to the public. Over here smoking is still allowed in private clubs that require some sort of membership, or private parties held at bars, restaurants etc.

As long as anyone can walk in without trespassing it is a public place.

I understand that this is the nanny point of view.

The freedom point of view that respects limited government and economic freedoms is that even though an establishment is "open to the public", if the public has the free will not to frequent the establishment and the establishment survives or not based on customer satisfaction, then the government should butt-out.

This would apply to restraunts, bars and shopping malls, but, reasonably, not to city hall, airports, and the DMV.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2006, 09:15:15 AM »
agree sam...  a private place is still a private place.

If you open your house to the public when it is for sale.... could you be fined, imprisoned or sued if you smoked in it?

I would say that the only obligation a private business had would be to post at the entrance that it was a smoking establishment.  

the "public" is free to not go in and therefore is in no "danger".

LOL... I can't believe what a world of wussies we have where breathing a little smoke is considered daring and risky dangerous behavior...

The same people probly fill themselves with perscription and bathtub drugs all the time.

lazs