Author Topic: France to ban Public smoking?  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
France to ban Public smoking?
« on: October 03, 2006, 09:39:17 AM »
Now that certainly is a sign that a rogue asteroid is about to hit earth!

How do our french/EU citizens feel about public banning of smoking?
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/10/03/061003115949.i6zdhuii.html

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 09:44:54 AM »
Smoking in public establishments (bars, restaurants etc.) has been banned in Norway for years to protect the people working there. New York has the same smoking ban. What's the big deal?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 09:47:31 AM by Viking »

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 09:56:47 AM »
"You have to respect the rights of others," said Valerie, 29, a smoker of 20 years. :confused:  "I will have to go to smoke outside, I suppose. In the winter it will be harder though. Then I will have to smoke at home."
typo? :huh  or has she been smoking since age 9?
I smoke, and havent been able to smoke inside at work since 1984.  I dont smoke in my own house since 1989.   I even was able to adjust when restaurants didnt allow smoking.  But Bars?  I think it should be up to the individual establishments/owners to allow or not allow smoking.   You dont want to be around smokers then go to a non-smoking bar.

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 10:00:40 AM »
Seems like France is a little behind the times.

"Five states — New York, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine and California — have passed similar smoking restrictions that include bars and taverns. New York state's ban, which echoes the city's anti-smoking law, goes into effect July 24."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2003-07-01-smoking-usat_x.htm

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 10:06:27 AM »

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 11:44:47 AM »
Originally posted by Viking
Seems like France is a little behind the times.

"Five states — New York, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine and California — have passed similar smoking restrictions that include bars and taverns. New York state's ban, which echoes the city's anti-smoking law, goes into effect July 24."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2003-07-01-smoking-usat_x.htm

That's old news, 3 years old in fact. Washington State, my state, now has the same ban. I support it (I don't smoke) :)  Just thought it was odd that France, of all places, would actually pass that into law. My perspective of France was that it is a pretty "liberal" country but I've been wrong before ;)(shrugs)

Offline takeda

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 12:00:43 PM »
We have banned it here in Spain this year, can't smoke at any public places. Restaurants can have a smokers area, but physically separated from the rest.
Bear in mind that we basically live in bars here, theres like one per every 80-100 people and families will go there with the kids.

Smokers can go on about freedom and this and that, but I'm glad no one can smoke in my face anymore. Now the problem are the cig butts in front of every building. They seem to have a need to behave disgustingly in any way they can.

Offline Rameusb5

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 12:02:56 PM »
Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that 2nd hand smoke kills thousands of people annually and costs the community millions of dollars a year has something to do with it.

Smoking is a lot more common in Europe, but I don't think that means they are willing to absorb the costs of it (in deaths or Euros).

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 12:06:32 PM »
Good thing we stopped caring about personal freedom and choice.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 12:09:03 PM »
laser... I never chose to have some jackwad giving me lung cancer from 2nd hand smoking.

Public spaces should be that: public. If people want to smoke.. which is THEIR private choice... they can go to a PRIVATE place and smoke there.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 12:33:52 PM »
You thought the riots from the work related laws were  bad.....jsut wait...lmao!

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 12:40:12 PM »
mon dieu, what is the world coming to? :)

Offline mora

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 12:43:46 PM »
Originally posted by Tac
laser... I never chose to have some jackwad giving me lung cancer from 2nd hand smoking.

Public spaces should be that: public. If people want to smoke.. which is THEIR private choice... they can go to a PRIVATE place and smoke there.

A privately owned establishment is not a public place. I'm all for smoking bans but I don't feel that I've any right to tell anyone what they can do in their own home, or any other privately owned place or establishment.

Offline RedRadr

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 12:49:05 PM »
Originally posted by takeda
We have banned it here in Spain this year,

did you clear this with the muslims? better be careful...

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 12:53:07 PM »
Originally posted by Tac

No one forced you to sit down next to a smoker.  No one forced second hand smoke down your throat.

Don't likehow it is in the real world?  Tough ****!

Go to a different restaurant!  Go to a different bar!  If you work at one of these places, demand that they not allow smoking!  If they don't give in, quit.  

You as the consumer and the worker have more power then anything else in this world, even governments.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"