Author Topic: Russia - Georgia row  (Read 237 times)

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Russia - Georgia row
« on: October 05, 2006, 09:53:03 PM »
Anyone been following this story?  All i know is that Georgian police arrested 4 Russian GRUs (army intelligence) for spying.  After that incident Putin made harsh remarks and authorities in Russia are now starting closing down Georgian businesses for some odd reason...:noid

Offline bikekil

• Gold Member
Russia - Georgia row
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 05:58:08 AM »
Thing is a bit strange... as far as i know Russia clames that those guys were not spying or anything and Georgia claims opposite, so:
1) If Russia is right, Georgia is looking for a troubles (and deserves it)
2) If If Georgia is right, russia have no right to say a word. Spy is captured and can be prisoned for life - it's his risk to take this job and he's the only one to blame.

Every country have a spies, problem is that when they got cought there have to be consequences...

I'm really interested how it's going to end.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Russia - Georgia row
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 08:07:06 AM »
====
a giant asteroid :cry
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Vad

• Nickel Member
Russia - Georgia row
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 10:35:09 AM »
Originally posted by bikekil

It's already over.
Russians were released, and they are already in Russia.

Russia set blockade of Georgia, suspended all transportation and post service  between two countries, Duma is about to carry new law prohibiting any money transfers to Georgia. Georgia is very poor country, and there are estimates that about of half of Georgia budget is money coming from gastarbeiters in Russia.

Plus war is declared to Georgian business in Russia, migrants from Georgia, etc.

And all of that is an addition to measures already taken in the last year: ban to almost all goods from Georgia (wine, fruits, mineral water, etc).

A little overreacting may be... Especially if we take into consideration that they were real spies. By definition. They were officers of military intelligence service. :)

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Russia - Georgia row
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 12:00:45 PM »
Didnt George apply to join NATO?

Offline tikky

• Copper Member
Russia - Georgia row
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 01:07:56 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
Didnt George apply to join NATO?

Yeah, and lets face it most of the former commie blocks are joining the NATO to modernize their armed forces.  Russia must be infuriated right now...