Author Topic: Battle of Britain Patches  (Read 10171 times)

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
Battle of Britain Patches
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 08:49:15 AM »
i like that newest one on the left :)

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline 2Slow

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 08:57:16 AM »
The one on the left is good.  It depicts both countries symbols.  The center one does convey the idea of the massive attack.  I like them both.
2Slow
Secundum mihi , urbanus resurrectio
TANSTAAFL

Offline Have

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2006, 09:35:07 AM »
I think the left is best. The silhouette in it is instantly recognizable, which i believe would not be the case with the small planes of the middle one when the patch is sewn.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2006, 10:59:03 AM »
I think the one on the left is a good balance between "what looks good" and "what can be put on a patch". I like the large raid on the second one, but I don't think it would show up so well when it's put into stitches on canvas.

EDIT: The crosses are out of position on the He111's wings, however. :aok

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2006, 12:54:57 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
The crosses are out of position on the He111's wings, however. :aok

Yup, that was an easter egg left for someone to take notice of :cool:
(Noticed it as soon as I had posted, but had no energy left in me to do something about it at that point...)

I am not so sure about the smaller planes being impossible though. After all they can make the letters recognizable.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2006, 02:17:46 PM »
I had a thought...

What about making the outer ring of blue a darker shade. Some shade different from the RAF roundel? Then remove the roundel, and use the outline of Britain as a mask, and have it "filled in" with the roundel underneath it? Sort of have the center of the roundel between ireland and england, and you can see the colors over both of them?

Just a wacky thought. Yours is good too :)

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2006, 05:32:40 PM »
To me a patch doesn't HAVE to show both sides. Rangoon had an AMAZINGLY elegant design, all it was was a P40E diving and firing its guns. It doesn't *have* to show the other side, just bring to mind the main images that "Rangoon" conjures up.

I thought the Rangoon patch showed both sides by having the P40E diving, but the background was the "hinomaru". (Japanese flag for the nihongally challenged among us).  Maybe it wasn't designed that way, but that's how I interpreted it.

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2006, 08:32:46 PM »
:aok

Looking good Blauk!

I like the one on the left as well, but I agree the text needs some jazzing up.  Come on, search your fonts for something with a "European" flavor.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2006, 08:53:23 PM »
I had a thought...

that didn't die of loneliness? ;)
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2006, 08:42:23 AM »
Ok, Gonna seem really stupid here, but whats the point in the patches? What do we do with them? And DO the participants get one?
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2006, 11:46:40 AM »
Just a way to commemorate the event, to remember it. You get one if you pay for it :) They're running at $2.50 average lately. A couple of people set it up with the company, order a large amount (bulk) and then you pay them to recoup the costs of buying and mailing them out to everybody.

Offline SKBG Seadog

• Copper Member
      • http://www.skbg.org
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2006, 10:26:34 AM »
I have them sewn on to my Flight Jacket. Or you can make a collection of them for a wall hanging.

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2006, 10:38:04 AM »
Just a way to commemorate the event, to remember it. You get one if you pay for it :) They're running at $2.50 average lately. A couple of people set it up with the company, order a large amount (bulk) and then you pay them to recoup the costs of buying and mailing them out to everybody.

This is no offence to you Krusty, but I have learnt NEVER to trust AH if they ask you for money. So are you joking? Caus, it would be quite kool to have a patch like that. could somebody verify if I need to pay for them?
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2006, 10:53:55 AM »
It is not AH asking for money. It is those individuals participating in playing and creating events, who then further devote their time and make the patches happen... if there is enough demand.

Roscoroo and Brooke have taken care of getting the patches done and mailing them to people. Certainly you are not expecting them to do the funding on top of their voluntary work...

I tell you, you can trust your $2,50 to them with no doubts. They have delivered superbly for such tiny amount of money!

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2006, 11:03:33 AM »
ok, next question. How do I pay?