Author Topic: Battle of Britain Patches  (Read 10170 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Battle of Britain Patches
« on: October 10, 2006, 02:22:25 PM »
Bring suggestions/images to this thread. I figured I'd make one for BOB'06 because Stalin's and Downfall's threads are in here.

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 10:06:38 AM »
I would assume that the images are already handed in and done but if not here is one I whipped up.

Offline Dace

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 10:19:24 AM »
Very nice skernsk.:aok

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 10:32:15 AM »
Damn! VERY nice! Similar to an idea I had long ago, but could never really pull off. Now the trick is to get it down to 7 colors (not counting the color of the canvas itself).

EDIT: Only, I'd put "2006" in place of "1940", and put an arch of text on the bottom saying "An Aces High(TM) Scenario"

Offline 1895

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
      • http://raf315.org
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 11:17:46 AM »
I like skens idea. Others were too biased to the axis win. You may have won but we put up one hell of a fight with what we have. please keep them normal and not biased.

Offline 2Slow

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 01:07:16 PM »
Copied from another thread (bold is text added in this thread);
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by trotter
<-------this one?

the patch needs to have both sides represented though. maybe the cross inside the RAF circle, but it's really hard to tell if that would look alright.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, that is the one. Perhaps the cross could overlay the RAF roundel. Not much would show through of it.  Some more lettering would be needed on the cross. Perhaps:

English German

Victory Sieg

Victorious Siegreich

German victory Deutscher Sieg

I would use the German translation of Victorious.

Hell, I would buy the official patch and the one I have suggested. This has been history in the making. The Axis has never won a BOB before.

Yes this is biased. I was just having fun with it. I would still buy the official one and an Axis Victory one as well. Heck, I would get several of both
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 01:11:04 PM by 2Slow »
2Slow
Secundum mihi , urbanus resurrectio
TANSTAAFL

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 01:51:33 PM »
To me a patch doesn't HAVE to show both sides. Rangoon had an AMAZINGLY elegant design, all it was was a P40E diving and firing its guns. It doesn't *have* to show the other side, just bring to mind the main images that "Rangoon" conjures up.

So make a patch that represents the images conjured up when you think of "Battle of Britain" -- I personally don't care if it only shows RAF or only LW, as long as it's a good patch!

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 01:13:26 PM »
Here are some more quick ideas.

Any comments or suggestions on how to develop them further? ... if they have potential.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline 1895

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
      • http://raf315.org
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 04:09:23 PM »
Even with RAF roundel Axis flag over the roundel with 88s? No no :P Make two guys, axis win and historacle british one :D

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 04:10:15 PM »
blauk: I don' tknow if I like the blending of iron cross with roundel. I don't know if that "does it" for me. The bombers are cool. Any chance you can find some Ju88s? :D

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 04:19:47 PM »
U sure u want Ju88:s instead of He111:s?
Should we could use the chess pieces as well instead of RAF and LW insignias ;)

... but just keep the impressions and ideas coming. They will help me or someone else to put out something more interesting :)

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 04:49:32 PM »
Nice work Blauk.

I like the idea of the UK in the background.  I feel that a 'Battle of Britain' patch should have that in there.  

I would take that and overlay the he11's flying above it.  The background can be whatever color you want, I used a cold blue for the channel.

Put the black cross on the lower right (where France is) and the Roundel on the left.  

I would like to see how that looks.  I think I will bow out and leave this fine patchwork to you now Blauk:D

Offline 2Slow

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 12:35:59 AM »
Interesting designs.  I have saved them.  I intend to print and frame them.

With the first one, perhaps one could put the UK island outline in the middle, stretching from one end of the white portion to the other.  I would also take the AH Scenario text and align it centered like you did with the BoB text on top.

The ones with the Cross overlaying the roundel are cool too.  I doubt any of the RAF would order one though.
2Slow
Secundum mihi , urbanus resurrectio
TANSTAAFL

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 01:32:52 AM »
Here are some more ideas with the Britain map outline:

Thanks for ideas and comments. Keep them coming... :)

I picture the layout as LW theatening RAF, being the agressor. It is simply trying to give an impression of teh overall situation. It should not imply to any result, since there are no planes going down in flames or cities burning etc.

2Slow,
E.g in rangoon patch there was no hint of the japanese side, but I dunno if the japanese side players didnt order them...

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 01:36:36 AM »
I think at least the text color should be some other... something more visible.. white or yellow or silver maybe