Author Topic: Stutters and hesitaions  (Read 2759 times)

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2001, 02:31:00 PM »
Your soundcard isn't in the slot nearest to your video card is it?  (It shouldn't be.)

Does your motherboard use a via chipset?  (I'm too lazy to try to look up your brand MB.  ;) )  If it does I'd go and get the irq miniport routing and AGP drivers from www.viahardware.com.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2001, 04:15:00 PM »
Bloom,

Nope sound card is 3 slots away from video. Avance card is also a PCI card. Old sound blaster is an ASI card.

Here is what I have done.

I just uninstalled AH again. deleted ALL AH folders and emptied the trash can. I then did a full defrag of the HD. I reinstalled the game without any DX betas. On going into the TA I still had the harsh buzzing sound at hesitations and stutters. There are NO outside files in the game. They are all from the install.

I am getting REAL freaking frustrated by this. I am beginning to think it's time to save $15.00 a month.  :(

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2001, 04:17:00 PM »
You don't remember what you last did before this started happening?

Install software? Drivers? New DX? New hardware?
-SW

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2001, 05:42:00 PM »
Did u put soundcard in a different slot?  u should try it as this will change its IRQ.

You have an isolated prob Maverick, i doubt its related to the AH software...

SKurj

Offline aac

• Copper Member
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2001, 12:09:00 PM »
I have been having the same problem.  I did two things that has stopped it.  First I found a bad ram chip set and replaced this and it helped somewhat.  Then I turned off roger-wilco (never got it to work on here anyway) and this stopped it and the game plays good now.

I am real new here so I don't know if this will help anyone but it did me.

ab8aac - out

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2001, 02:29:00 PM »
Maverick, what kinda stick are you using?
I used to get "laggy views" trigger would freeze screen, hiccups and all. I bought another joystick and it cured the problem. (after pulling my hair out forever)

Try it, you may be surprised.

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2001, 05:49:00 PM »
A propos nothing, what happens if you play without the sound card?

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2001, 10:45:00 PM »
Here is the latest attempt to fix this thing.

I deleted ALL sound card drivers from the system. Removed the sound card and let the system boot up a few times to make sure it was clear. I then reinstalled the old SB16 card and got nowhere.

I removed the old SB16 card uninstalled sound drivers and let system run without them.

Installed an Avance sound card with minimal drivers. None of the fancy mixer drivers just the basic sound and joystick driver set. Left the joystick off and ran AH. Got buzzing sound and stutters using keyboard and mouse to fly. As soon as a "new" sound started over the engine the stutters would start. The stall warning buzzer would do it same as firing guns.

Installed the stick and calibrated it. No change.

I then played musical card slots with all the PCI cards in my system. No change in the AH performance. Got LOTS of experiance setting up my periferals but no help in playing AH.

AH is the ONLY program this happens in. This cannot be a systemic problem that ONLY affects AH. I have other games, including online, that this does not happen in.  There have been too many others complaining about stutters for this to be an individual computer problem. It's not net related as it happens offline just as much and as bad as online. I clear off everything in the background to make sure I have enough RAM open to run the game. Before I start I have over 85% of my system available with 128 megs RAM. I'm not bogging down the machine.

I'm out of ideas. Thanks for those who contributed, I tried every one of the suggestions you posted. If anyone, ESPECIALLY THE AH CREW, has any more suggestions I am open.   :(

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2001, 11:08:00 PM »
Perhaps your AH download was corrupted somehow?   :confused:  Without actually getting my hands on the system I'm at a loss frankly.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2001, 06:26:00 AM »
Mav,

Since youve tried everything you can think of... I recommend you give HTC a call.  I bet HT would talk to you abut this.  Try that next.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2001, 12:55:00 PM »
Ya still didn't say if u played AH without soundcard installed.

Mav your stutter problem is the most extreme i've seen.  Every other complaint of this type I've seen was easily solved.

SKurj

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2001, 02:32:00 PM »
I know this is most likely a stupid question... but when was your last system cleanup? Have you defragged it lately? I've seen ALOT of wierd problem get cleared up vie doing this...

xBAT

P.S. Also... could this be a winsock problem?
It happens when on-line playing.Perhaps deleting your dial up..shut down, bootup then reinstalling will redo your socket to default.

These are abit off key from other suggestions but you've tried pretty much all the "common" solutions

xBAT...again

[ 08-24-2001: Message edited by: batdog ]
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2001, 10:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by SKurj:
Ya still didn't say if u played AH without soundcard installed.

Mav your stutter problem is the most extreme i've seen.  Every other complaint of this type I've seen was easily solved.

SKurj

Skurj,

I swapped sound cards altogether. Went from PCI back to old SB16 then back to PCI card again. no help.

Batdog,

I have switched to a new HD recently. New Win98 setup on a fresh format of the new HD. The problems didn't start right aftr this. The system was real stable and AH ran fine. Seems to have gone off the deep end all by itself.   :(

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2001, 08:12:00 AM »
try aces without a soundcard if u can.

have u Virus scanned lately?
sorry if u answered this above.

SKurj

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2001, 12:27:00 PM »
Mav, had same thing happen to me. Drove me nuts.

Ended up running my cpu at a slower speed untill I got a new video card.

Try cranking it down to see what happens.

Sax