Author Topic: Stutters and hesitaions  (Read 2765 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Stutters and hesitaions
« on: August 20, 2001, 12:59:00 PM »
This is a repost frm DX8 forum in case it isn't DX8 related. Please help.

If you feel the need to post a funny or sarcastic note please refrain. This isn't a situation I am enjoying right now.

Here is the problem. I get minor to severe hesitations and stutters when playing with other players in the arena. If I am by myself it seems to all but disappear. I have polished my field taking all I want. I'd like to get into the main arena.

Here is what happened the last time I got in the MA. I was able to fly but noticed the screen hesitated EVERY time a new sound came in. The screen froze briefly (about a half second or more) ten started up again. When I got into combat the freezes got MUCH worse. I was prety much frozen in place and then only notice I had of enemy action was seeing the tower. I could see him about D1.5 then tower scene after the screen froze. I had been trying to maneuver but the damn thing stopped.

I get screen freezes when I fire too which makes leading a target all but impossible.

Please let me know what I can do to get rid of this problem. Below I will outline my system and what I have done to date to correct this problem. This has been going on for over a month now.

P3 500MHZ 128 Megs RAM
Voodoo 3 3000 AGP 16 Megs latest drivers
Win 98 with latest updates
DX8.0a
AH both the regular version and beta 11.
DSL connect at 640k with Intell DSL modem, Line tested clean.

I have done a removal and installation of AH several times. I defragged the HD after each uninstall.

I have changed my sound card. (now using a SB16)

I have installed DX8 3 times. (Twice v8.0a)

I have formatted my HD and installed Win 98 after fighting this with Win95.

I have installed and uninstalled the "ultimate sound pack" more than once.

I have shut down ALL online filters (ZoneAlarm and MacAfee) before logging on. I do the Ctr Alt check to make sure nothing else is running in background. System at 80+% free.

I am out of ideas. Please help with suggestions for a cure. At this rate there is not much reason to keep my subscription open.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2001, 01:32:00 PM »
I get screen freezes when I fire too which makes leading a target all but impossible.[/b]

I have this problem also.  When I hit the trigger the thing "hiccups".  

Athlon 1.3 gig
512 MB RAM
Voodoo 5AGP latest drivers
Win 98 with latest updates
DX8.0a
AH (non-beta)
cable modem

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2001, 02:08:00 PM »
I bet I know what it is. Check your IRQ's, I bet your video card and your sound card are sharing.

Same thing is hapening to me.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2001, 02:13:00 PM »
Go to
Control Panel, multimedia, Audio Tab, playback advanced properties, Performance tab.
Move the slider to the left 1 notch and try the game.  If that doesn't fix it, try one more notch to the left.

Old problem, the above has solved it for alot of users

SKurj

Offline Bullethead

• Silver Member
      • http://people.delphiforums.com/jtweller
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2001, 02:15:00 PM »
I have MASSIVE framefrate problems whenever the action gets nasty.

System:
Dell 1.7G P4, 256M RAM, 64M GeForce3, Windows ME, unknown DirectX but probably 7.xx

AH Settings:
FPS limited to 45
Resolution:  600x800
Color:  16-bit
Connecting via 28.8k dial-up

History
Initially, I didn't have the FPS limiter set.  All video settings were default (800x600, 16-bit color, unlimited FPS, all details on, max horizon distance).  When flying, the FPS meter said 60 and never changed.  But when I'd saddle up on a lone nme plane at alt, nothing on the ground cluttering up things, I'd go into serious stutter mode.  Then I heard about limiting FPS in the Video settings and that solved this problem.  FPS meter now says 45, sometimes dips to 43, and I have no FPS problems vs. single nmes at say 5k+ AGL.

Current Problem
Smoke utterly destroys my FPS.  This happens with smoke from burning target planes but is especially bad near burning buildings on the ground.  For instance, manning a gun or vehicle at a damaged airfield.  When I traverse the gun across the smoke of a nearby burning building, my FPS drops to zero.  The video freezes when the sight touches one edge of the smoke cloud and doesn't start going again until continued control input has moved the sight to the other edge of the smoke.  Then the video jumps the sight to that position and all bullets, planes, etc., also jump to the positions they've reached during my frozen video time.  During the frozen time, even the FPS meter is frozen so continues to read 43+ FPS despite it really being zero.

I find this all rather strange.  Previously I was flying with a Celeron 450, 128M RAM, and a TNT 1.  I had nothing resembling this sort of problem, although I did have to run with medium horizon distance.  So why does going to a way faster machine result in much worse video performance?

[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: Bullethead ]

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2001, 02:36:00 PM »
Bullethead, try running Aces at the same resolution and colour depth  as your desktop.
I'd recommend at least 1024x768x32bpp

SKurj

Offline Bullethead

• Silver Member
      • http://people.delphiforums.com/jtweller
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2001, 03:45:00 PM »
Skurj-

That seems to have helped.  My desktop is 1600x1200 and that seemed to have been a bit much for AH.  FPS got down into the mid-teens when traversing across smoke.  However, using the next highest resolution seems to be perfect, staying up around 38 or so in the same situation.

I guess it's a case of idle hands being the Devil's tools.  If you don't give all your video horsepower something to do, it screws things up  :).

And BTW, it's SO MUCH easier to read the text in the load-out hangar now  :)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2001, 03:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by SKurj:
Go to
Control Panel, multimedia, Audio Tab, playback advanced properties, Performance tab.
Move the slider to the left 1 notch and try the game.  If that doesn't fix it, try one more notch to the left.

Old problem, the above has solved it for alot of users

SKurj

Skurj,

No help on this one. I went all the way to the left and still have the stutters as soon as I fire, enemy fires or a new sound starts up.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2001, 06:46:00 PM »
A common issue with the voodoo cards and online gaming that always resulted in this type of fault is caused (believe it or not) by the little connection icon on the taskbar.  I would try removing it.  To do it:  My computer > dial up networking > connections menu > settings > uncheck "show an icon on taskbar when connected."

Since you also mention a sound issue I would also recommend checking for IRQ conflicts and updating your sound drivers.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2001, 06:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by bloom25:
A common issue with the voodoo cards and online gaming that always resulted in this type of fault is caused (believe it or not) by the little connection icon on the taskbar.  I would try removing it.  To do it:  My computer > dial up networking > connections menu > settings > uncheck "show an icon on taskbar when connected."

Since you also mention a sound issue I would also recommend checking for IRQ conflicts and updating your sound drivers.

Bloom,

I checked for IRQ conflicts on all systems. I found none. I'll try the icon bit.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2001, 07:25:00 PM »
You have tried without Zonealarm running I see.
I'd just like to mention, I used to run Aces with a V3 3000 AGP.  When ZA was running I would get annoying frame stutter.  Without ZA running it was fine.
Once I replaced the V3 with a GF2 MX I am able to run AH with ZA and get no frame stutter because of it.

Its definitely a system problem you are having Mav, have u considered upgrading your video and ram?  You can likely get into a GF2 MX and 256mb of ram for around $100 US

Oh hey... what motherboard chipset are you running?

SKurj

[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: SKurj ]

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2001, 07:39:00 PM »
Two other questions have cropped up. Which specific motherboard do you have, and is it Win 98 SE (second edition) that you are running?

:cool:

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2001, 11:49:00 PM »
Skurj and Voss,

I am running a BrilliantX mobo with award bios. Latest drivers and bios.

It is win 98 V1 not SE. I have updated the windows as well.

This is a problem that came up well after I went to 98 and after DX8. I was running just fine then one day this came u[p. Nope there is no virus. I scan regularly with MacAfee. Red worm isn't a factor either as it hits Cisco DSL cards and I have an Intel based modem. The problem isn't internet related as it does this offline too.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2001, 01:19:00 PM »
Mav, it does happen even without the ultimate sound pack installed right?

Can you check to see if the Soundcard is sharing an IRQ with another card.  It may not show as a conflict. (if u've already done this srry, check again +)

Try putting the soundcard in a different slot...
hmm if its ISA... get rid of it and go get a PCI one.

Oh btw the sound acceleration u tried adjusting due to an earlier post I made, is the same thing as SW's latest post, its just done thru a different interface.  Won't make a diff.

SKurj

[ 08-21-2001: Message edited by: SKurj ]

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Stutters and hesitaions
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2001, 02:24:00 PM »
Skurj,

here is latest attempt. Some success but not much. I removed the sound card and deleted te drivers including the joystick. Restarted system 2 timesd after that. Reinstalled my Avance card, it's much newer than the SB16. I reinstalled the drivers for the card and then reinstalled DX8.

I get less hesitations on firing. Now I get hesitations without any changes in sound. there is a harsh buzzing sound that happens when it hesitates without firing.

I went online and tested it. Online is worse than offline. I suppose netlag would help there. So far it is unplayable at this time. Dunno what else to do. Don't have money to upgrade system.
Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown