Author Topic: Runway Issue  (Read 1220 times)

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
Runway Issue
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2006, 09:51:53 AM »
Originally posted by NHawk
You didn't listen. Re-read what Ranger said. Use the TE and re-texture the default runway. You can change the appearance of the runway without creating a new object. There's no need to use the OE unless you want a completely custom runway.

Technically I would need to be able to hear him in order to "listen".  I did read his response, and I have know doubt what he is doing works.  He obviously knows what he is talking about.  In the long run that may be what I end up doing.  If you take the time and re-read my post carefully you will understand that changing the appearance of the runway is not the sole issue here.  After creating a new test field with the OE using the standard shapes and textures I found the runway was still not working correctly.  However USRanger remark of deleting the cache pointed me in the right direction.  The runway started to work correctly after I deleted the cache folder located where the aces high game is installed, as well as the cache folder located where the editor is installed.  

Now that I have a test field that is working correctly, I have gone back to test out some scenerios when building a custom field.  I exported the rwy1 using the export to AC3D, changed the name to crwy1 and reimported using the OE.  Other than the name change nothing else was modified or changed on the object.   After creating and placing the object on a map, the ditch message was showing up again.  I then tried another runway object rwy0 with the same results.  Given the results that I am seeing it appears that a runway object imported from a AC3D file will not work correctly.  Is anyone else seeing this issue?  or is there some setting or procedure that needs to be done when importing a new object from a AC3D file?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 10:14:46 AM by soda72 »

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
Runway Issue
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2006, 09:52:28 AM »
Originally posted by BlauK
Is your airbase defined as "group master" in TE?

yes it is sir....

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
Runway Issue
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2006, 10:27:00 AM »
I wonder if this is related....

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=177404

PolyID=20001
-------------
Runway 20001
Rearm Pad 20002
Crater 20003
Road 20004
Dirt 20005
Water 20006
Tree 20007
Bush 20008
Wall 20009
Model 20010
Train Track 20011

Dead=0

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Runway Issue
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2006, 10:33:34 AM »
Are you using AC3D or Blender to make your custom object?
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
Runway Issue
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2006, 10:48:19 AM »
Originally posted by Denholm
Are you using AC3D or Blender to make your custom object?

I have AC3D 6.0.... But for my testing i've been using the AC3D export feature located in the OE.  I haven't had any problems geting objects to appear in the TE as well as in offline game.  But I have not been able to get a custom runway to work correctly.  I'm thinking it has something to do with the OE bug listed in the link above.  Maybe the PolyID for runway is getting dropped causing it not to function correctly...

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Runway Issue
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2006, 11:02:08 AM »
I am not familiar with AC3D, but I do know you need to have a working hierarchy tree before you can attempt to test your object. A hierarchy tree works like this:

Model
         Objects
                    Str0
                          (Object Name)

I am not sure how to explain it, but it is necessary to export your object correctly. Ask duh, NHawk, or Raptor for further instructions, they know AC3D better than me, I am using the Blender.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
Runway Issue
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2006, 11:23:13 AM »
Originally posted by Denholm
I am not familiar with AC3D, but I do know you need to have a working hierarchy tree before you can attempt to test your object. A hierarchy tree works like this:

Model
         Objects
                    Str0
                          (Object Name)

I am not sure how to explain it, but it is necessary to export your object correctly. Ask duh, NHawk, or Raptor for further instructions, they know AC3D better than me, I am using the Blender. [/B]

Yeah, i've seen that in the ac3d.txt help file...   Originally I was thinking that was the case, but to get around that I started to export the std shps that come with the OE, using the export to AC3D.  I assume that when I export the shp to AC3D using the OE export feature it would create the proper hierarchy needed..

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
Runway Issue
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2006, 11:35:27 AM »
here is the object hierarchy for safldg0... when it's exported using the OE function export to AC3D

Group  "WORLD", v 0, s 0, kids 1
        Group  "model", v 0, s 0, kids 1 *
                Group  "ground", v 0, s 0, kids 1
                        Group  "adsf", v 0, s 0, kids 3
                                Object "tex0", v 10, s 4, kids 0
                                Object "tex1", v 8, s 2, kids 0
                                Object "tex2", v 8, s 2, kids 0

Total objects: 7   surfaces: 8   vertices: 26

The layout is somewhat different then what is decribed in the AC3D.txt help  file..

instead of group "ground" i would expect this to be "objects" and I would also expect group "adsf" to be name somthing like "rwy0"..  But if thats the way it exports a standard shp from the OE then thats most likely the way it should be...

here is rwy1..

Group  "WORLD", v 0, s 0, kids 1
        Group  "model", v 0, s 0, kids 1 *
                Group  "ground", v 0, s 0, kids 1
                        Group  "o42", v 0, s 0, kids 2
                                Object "tex0", v 10, s 4, kids 0
                                Object "tex1", v 8, s 2, kids 0

Total objects: 6   surfaces: 6   vertices: 18

What is interesting is if you change the name "o42" to "rwy0" and reimport as a custom object it will display then as a Runway in the OE when labels is set to display...  However it still doesn't function correctly though, during the offline game...

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
Runway Issue
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2006, 11:41:32 AM »
The "convert ac3d shape" dows not function properly, like mentioned in another thread.
The "PolyID" and "Hidden" tags do not get converted.

---

There are 2 approaches you can use with fully customized bases (both are used in Karelia-terrain)

1)
You can define the whole green base ground object as rwy and draw your "runways" on the texture.

2)
You can hide several and properly placed runway/taxiway/etc. tarmac objects UNDER the ground texture object by assigning a lower index number for them in OE. They will result "landed" results even from under other objects.
e.g. just lay several runways beside each other to make that wider dirt runway.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 11:46:48 AM by BlauK »

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
Runway Issue
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2006, 12:06:10 PM »
Originally posted by BlauK
The "convert ac3d shape" dows not function properly, like mentioned in another thread.
The "PolyID" and "Hidden" tags do not get converted.

---

There are 2 approaches you can use with fully customized bases (both are used in Karelia-terrain)

1)
You can define the whole green base ground object as rwy and draw your "runways" on the texture.

2)
You can hide several and properly placed runway/taxiway/etc. tarmac objects UNDER the ground texture object by assigning a lower index number for them in OE. They will result "landed" results even from under other objects.
e.g. just lay several runways beside each other to make that wider dirt runway.

Thanks Blauk.

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
Runway Issue
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2006, 05:53:43 PM »
Just incase someone else runs into this down the road

Method two recommended by both USRanger and BlauK works great...

Below is an example showing rwy1 being used multiple times and placed underneath my custom runway by assigning them a lower index number as per Blauk.  (I left the rwy1 visible just to show it's there for an example)

Ready to exit flight...

:)

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
Runway Issue
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2006, 06:03:44 PM »
Method 1

I did not have any luck, and was still getting the ditch message...

using safldg0 as my "whole" green base ground object.. and overriding the type to Runway I was not able to get that to work..  If someone has done this before and could clarify what needs to be done, it would be appreciated...

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
Runway Issue
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2006, 11:36:06 PM »
test field cleaned up... with rwy1 hidden...

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
Runway Issue
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2006, 01:42:04 AM »
Originally posted by soda72
Method 1

I did not have any luck, and was still getting the ditch message...

using safldg0 as my "whole" green base ground object.. and overriding the type to Runway I was not able to get that to work..  If someone has done this before and could clarify what needs to be done, it would be appreciated...

It might not work with the original base ground objects... but only with newly built custom ones.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34