Author Topic: So 3 arenas arent working great  (Read 2165 times)

Offline JimBob06

• Zinc Member
So 3 arenas arent working great
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2006, 07:49:03 AM »
Understand that I am very new to this game, with that in mind, I have found that the EW areana has alowed me to play at a slower pace and actualy learn the basic tactics and objectives of the game. This is only due to the loyal following of players that Ive found there.
   The following of players in EW seems to promote a "Brothers in Arms" atmosphere and a higher level of cooperation, with this I have been given a large amount of insight and instruction from fellow players.
   This has helped my flying to a point where i dont feel intimidated by the MW and LW furballs and when things are slow in EW I drift that way.
   As to the problems mentioned by others, I can not comment, just thought I would share this insight.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2006, 08:30:00 AM »
jimbob.. I have fought with and against you in the EW and I wish all new guys would see it as you do.   I have noticed that you are getting better at it.  

And how else can you get better at it than to..... actualy fight?   You are absolutely right.. the EW slows it down a bit so that you can learn from the fights.

What most of the "vets" forget is that when we were learning there were no late war monsters to use as a crutch.   the plane sets were a lot more even... we didn't have the "anything goes" that we do now with some planes being 100 or more mph faster than others.   not many anyway.   we all got to learn in arenas that were a lot more fair and.... I think it made us learn faster.

With some of the new late war planes a newbie never learns anything in the arenas except that.... he has a lot better chance in one than not.

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2006, 08:31:28 AM »
Originally posted by JimBob06
Understand that I am very new to this game, with that in mind, I have found that the EW areana has alowed me to play at a slower pace and actualy learn the basic tactics and objectives of the game. This is only due to the loyal following of players that Ive found there.
   The following of players in EW seems to promote a "Brothers in Arms" atmosphere and a higher level of cooperation, with this I have been given a large amount of insight and instruction from fellow players.
   This has helped my flying to a point where i dont feel intimidated by the MW and LW furballs and when things are slow in EW I drift that way.
   As to the problems mentioned by others, I can not comment, just thought I would share this insight.

...and that may be the most important insight of all. Now I'm thinking that likely HTC knew there would be two phases to this change.

First Phase: Established players either adapt or leave, resulting in population drops for a few tours.

Second Phase: Players who dont remember the old way keep coming in, and THEIR higher retention rates make up for any losses.

I will now shut up.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2006, 09:39:12 AM »
Originally posted by Simaril
...and that may be the most important insight of all. Now I'm thinking that likely HTC knew there would be two phases to this change.

First Phase: Established players either adapt or leave, resulting in population drops for a few tours.

Second Phase: Players who dont remember the old way keep coming in, and THEIR higher retention rates make up for any losses.

Yup.

- oldman

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2006, 10:25:25 AM »
I will say Im tired of the maps.

~AoM~

Offline Mystic2

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theunforgivenweb.com
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2006, 10:38:03 AM »
I have tried to give this new setup an honest go.... and to be honest... I still dont like it.... it has taken away from what was once a great game....  I have to agree with everyone else that there has been a huge division of the communities, even more than before... not sure what can be done to fix it, if it even can be fixed..... its just sad that it had to come down to this..... just my 2 cents
FSO Setup CM
~~~THE UNFORGIVEN~~~
"LIVE FREE, DIE WELL"

mystic2@ahevents.org

Offline Junkit

• Zinc Member
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2006, 10:45:50 AM »
Didn't the sky fall,the world end when it went from AH1 to AH2..:confused:

my 2 cents is worth a quarter :rofl

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2006, 11:02:06 AM »
Does anyone know if HTC is working on new maps? It could be that they are & some of the problems may be resolved when new maps are introduced.

If I knew anything about making maps I would make some fight friendly ones to submit, but unfortunatly my comp skills are severely lacking. I like the idea that some of the community are making new ones to submit & hopefully this will resolve some of the players concerns.
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2006, 11:31:56 AM »
The main problems are currently EU and Asia/Pacific time zones and maps.

I love the concept of the new format it makes the game more personal and it gives meaning to older planes. But it works better in US timezones then EU and Asia/Pacific timezones due to the higher number of players in the US timezones.

There is a huge difference dividing 600 players over 3 arenas and dividing 200 players over 3 arenas.

EU and Asia/Pacific times have a really hard time pushing a critical mass for MW and EW in its peak hours.

This basicly makes the change a no change for us in these timezones and only creating an anoying tease for us who want to play MW or EW rather then LW.

I really hope HTC does start to invest time, money and effort into marketing in these timezones.

Tex

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2006, 12:56:20 PM »
majwoody have a look in he te section there are some great tutorials done by denholm [bogie] which will show you how to make a map.

its not easy but if you follow his directions u can make a map too.if you got ideas try them out its that simple
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2006, 01:13:49 PM »
Although I fancy the EW and MW, I have come to realize that I what I need most  is the large (read 100+) number of player on the arena. Recent 20-40 attendances have just made me go to LW or log off.
Fortunately there are still the events...

I, personally, would prefer combining EW and MW as one single arena.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2006, 01:28:33 PM »
Originally posted by straffo
In the past :

I payed , I played
you payed , you played

currently

I pay , I can't play
you pay , you play

See the difference ?

I've zero interrest in EW or MW as they are when I can log.

And what is stopping you from playing ? ... you left that part out.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2006, 02:50:39 PM »
Originally posted by straffo
In the past :

I payed , I played
you payed , you played

currently

I pay , I can't play
you pay , you play

See the difference ?

I've zero interrest in EW or MW as they are when I can log.

But see this difference too, Straffo - before the change, guys who liked the older fighters had to spend their time dodging La7s and SPit 16s, or just leave their birds in the hangar.

In essence they were in the same situation you dont like now.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Woofer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2006, 03:27:04 PM »
Originally posted by CAV
[
2)EW & MW becomes ETO & PTO arenas. With rollin planes set from early war to late war, with maps to match the plane sets.

3) Add a "Fightertown" for guys who are just looking for a fast furball type fight.

Yes... AH2 would look alot like AW from the "Good old days" of Air combat flight sims. I still miss that game sometimes.

CAVALRY [/B]

Being a longtime player and a short time poster i tend to agree with Cavalry for the most part. Bigggest drawback i noticed with that old AW system was that i rarely knew anyone from anywhere but Big Pac. I actually like the format change for the most part the way it is, with maybe just a few tweaks.  Its nice to be able to take up a ride like the Jug 11 and not run swarms of lalas, spit16s, and nikis.  If we had a setup like the old AW at least the uber rides would be limited to some degree.  Maybe a revamp of the perk system would be in order as well.  Who knows where the real answer lies.  Many of us have seen a lot of different attempts (Location arenas, realism arenas, time period, etc.) and no setup is going to please everyone all the time.  Lets just hope it doesn't tear the game apart while people adjust to whatever change happens.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2006, 03:37:03 PM »
In the past, we (those who didn't like what the MA had become) had 2 choices: AvA (assuming there was anyone in there), or not play AH. Now, everyone has several more options, whether they choose to take advantage of them or not.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech