Author Topic: So 3 arenas arent working great  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
So 3 arenas arent working great
« on: October 17, 2006, 10:40:40 AM »
At least, as measured by the original goals HTC presented.

On the minus side:

> The LW has turned into a LW clone, packed into smaller arenas.  Frustration with arena caps, and the failure of LW2 to develop as a second but equal arena, have seen the max numbers in LW1 climb up to essentially middling MA ranges. So, for the majority of AH players, for the majority of the day, the primary arena will remain "sick" by HTCs measurement criteria...since nothing has changed. Does this mean that HTC is spending ad money just to keep from shrinking?

> The smaller EW and MW arenas are below critical mass for a good chunk of the day, though there are enough to have a fun time most US nights.

>We've lost A LOT of maps, some of which were pretty fun for everyone.

>As any stress can, the changes have made fault lines in the community more obvious....This COULD turn into apositive if we use that awareness to patch things up, but there hasnt been much happening in that area....

On the plus side:

>Those who frequent the smaller arenas have seen a meaningful change in community. I have run into -- and gotten to know -- guys who were just names in the MA.

> The split holds major promise for new plane development. EW/LW environments allow niche or early planes to get out of the hangar and into the game. Without the EW/MW arenas, HTC investment in new plane models would be essentially finished -- there's no percentage in spending money to get new planes that dont add value to the game.

>The very process has made us aware of the problem...and how serious it is to the guys who run the business and see the bottom line. After all, they put up with an awful lot of flak to try to fix it!

So, where do we go from here? It obviously isnt for we players to decide, and HT would have to be feeling pretty masochistic to ask us. But even if he doesnt ask, we DO have a lot of passionate, smart, and creative people around these boards.

What ideas can we suggest that would meet the goals of increasing community and player retention?

And keep it civil....
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 10:44:36 AM by Simaril »
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
Re: So 3 arenas arent working great
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 10:44:12 AM »
Originally posted by Simaril
So, where do we go from here? It obviously isnt for we players to decide, and HT would have to be feeling pretty masochistic to ask us. But even if he doesnt ask, we DO have a lot of passionate, smart, and creative people around these boards.

What ideas can we suggest that would meet the goals of increasing community and player retention?

And keep it civil....

Without direct access to HTC's own numbers, how do you know that the goals have *not* been met?

Offline 68Ripper

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 11:02:47 AM »
I think a lot of Ideas have already been given to HTC through the Pyro threads that were out when this first came about. What HTC chooses to do with them is up to them. But I do notice at least 70% of the players are in LW1 arena. If the cap were higher there would probably be more players in there.

Myself If the Late war 1 arena was full and they opened up the late war arena 2 I probably wouldn't go in as I suspect a lot of others feel the same since there usually only a small amount of people in there. Like me others may not want to go to the earlier arenas and just log off until able to get into the LW1 arena. Some do go to the other Arenas boosting their numbers up a bit.

From what I've seen numbers wise IMO they should just make 2 arenas, a MA with a Larger cap and combine the early to mid war arenas.

Just my 2 cents
Ironic
Fistful of Aces

I had a psychic girlfriend once, but she left me before we met

When I got home last night, my wife demanded that I take her someplace expensive....  so, I took her to a gas station

Offline DadRabit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 11:12:38 AM »
S! indy007

what goals?

was of the goal to rip apart the community?  that was accomplished.  was one of the goals to make the game less fun and less intresting?  that was met also.  i've said this before.  i been here a long time and i see no upside to the new format.

new/different maps r the key.  bring em back.
David (Daddy Rabbit) Jester
S! 68KO
S! A8WB
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 11:26:37 AM »
Originally posted by DadRabit
S! indy007

what goals?

was of the goal to rip apart the community?  that was accomplished.  was one of the goals to make the game less fun and less intresting?  that was met also.  i've said this before.  i been here a long time and i see no upside to the new format.

new/different maps r the key.  bring em back.

I agree & disagree at the same time. My 1-man squad, "Late War = Slum", clearly shows by bias. I have had some excellent luck finding really good fights in Early & Mid, and I heavily prefer them to the MA, and now Late War. I had quit playing prior to the changes, didn't even want to. Now I do enjoy my hour or so a day.

Since gameplay fun is relative and different for everybody, it is not a suitable metric for measuring the results of the changes. It's just not, nor will it ever be. It's an opinion.

The only numbers that can tell us if the changes were good or bad for the community are subscription numbers that are not available to us. I don't expect these numbers ever to be available, as it is HTC's proprietary data.

Therefore, the entire conversation is irrelevant.

Offline DadRabit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 11:32:37 AM »
S! sir

:huh
S! 68KO
S! A8WB
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 11:35:18 AM »
<> Sim

and

WABBIT SEASON!
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 11:35:51 AM »
Hmmm ... I have been around for a long time too ...

was of the goal to rip apart the community? that was accomplished

I don't believe Pyro stated that as one of the goals for the change ... it was a by-product of the change and some pretty strong community lines were drawn in the sand ... at the start. The lines are now blurring, with the exception of some that continue to duke it out ... but all in all ... things have calmed down quite a bit.

was one of the goals to make the game less fun and less intresting?

I don't believe Pyro stated that as one of the goals for the change ... it was a by-product of the change ... for some ... some of us think that the game is far better than it was ... so please don't presume that you are the mouthpiece for all.

I have found it more fun and more interesting ... especially in the EW and MW arenas. More fun ... planes in these arenas, for the most part are evenly matched, hence I am finding more people willing to or forced to fight when encountered.

Fighting in an F6-F against a 109 in MW last night was something new for me, very fun, and very interesting due to the fact that in the MA, anyone in a uber-109 would not think of fighting an F6-F ... once the tables were turned ... the 109 would become a run-09 ... it can't do it in MW ... it has to fight.

i've said this before. i been here a long time and i see no upside to the new format.

Probably due to the fact that you fail to try and see the upside for those who embrace the new arenas and what they offer.

new/different maps r the key. bring em back.

Agreed ... new 256 maps are needed for the EW and MW arenas ... LW should get the 512 maps back in rotation so that it will feel more like the old MA.

PS. Sorry Sim ... I have no new ideas at the moment ... except the need for some new and interesting maps in EW and MW ... I know that a few are in the works and only hope that they are finished soon and HT accepts them.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 11:38:35 AM by SlapShot »
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 11:42:30 AM »
in my honest opinion, i would say that the change can only be a good one.

there is still an 'MA' (LW1) where all things dweeb and associated dogfightery continues like it did before.

add to that a few more options of a less crowded EW and MW arena, how can that be a bad thing?

it only splits people up if they refuse to fly in the same arena, plus the channel 4 squad text works over all arenas.

hate to see your strife though guys, the game would be a hell of a lot worse off for losing players like you. (wabbit season)
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline DadRabit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 11:43:14 AM »
S! slap

1.  i never said that was a statement.  sarcastic applys here.

2.  being a "mouthpiece" for all is not my intent sir. i am expressing my belief as to where i see the faults of the game in its present state.

3. as far as embracing, i fail to see the upside in dividing the community.

4.  we agree on this.  new maps r my biggest complaint.

my 2 cents

S!
S! 68KO
S! A8WB

Offline DadRabit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 11:45:15 AM »
S! batfink!

you always were and always are a friend and foe.

see ya in the skys!

S!
S! 68KO
S! A8WB

Offline DadRabit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 11:47:13 AM »
S! masherbrum!

duck season!

S!
S! 68KO
S! A8WB

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 11:51:35 AM »
Originally posted by DadRabit
S! masherbrum!

duck season!

S!

:D

BTW, I spoke with Shoulman on Friday, he says he's gonna come around the block and play on your PC (his crashed after the Con).  :rofl
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 11:52:09 AM »
Agreed - the new set-up is a mixed bag. Those mainly interested in a particular style of air combat can better pick n choose now...ie, toolshedders vs dogfighting.

Late war offers the biggest bang for the buck, in terms of options, so it's going to see the most amount of play.

The most often heard complaint is that of maps. Small maps are user friendly to the numbers flying Early and Mid war. The large maps like Donut...a blast to fly...are simply too large for LW.

IMHO we simply need more new small and mid size terrains and until CT is released and de-bugged, I doubt HTC will commit the resources towards providing them.

So...anyone wanna step up to the plate and get some new map ideas up for discussion?

Offline DadRabit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 11:53:39 AM »
S!

tell em to come on!

:rofl

S!
S! 68KO
S! A8WB