Author Topic: IRQ's  (Read 1722 times)

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
IRQ's
« on: May 17, 2001, 05:47:00 PM »
If your sys is reporting IRQ's 3, 4, & 5 free how does one force other components to these IRQ's so that I may assign a higher IRQ to my video card and sound card? I want to get my vid card and sound card on a seperate IRQ.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
IRQ's
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2001, 05:50:00 PM »
Well... that depends.

From the Start menu choose Run, and type in "msinfo32" and hit enter.  In the Hardware Resources folder, go to the IRQ section.  Copy and paste that info into a message here and we will start from there.

Also, list what devices are in each slot starting from AGP slot down.  That will help.  Oh, and we need to know what mainboard this is all plugged into.

------------------
Sean "Lephturn" Conrad - Aces High Chief Trainer

A proud member of the mighty Flying Pigs
http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH articles and training info!

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
IRQ's
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2001, 05:52:00 PM »
Mother board is a KT7 Raid

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
IRQ's
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2001, 05:54:00 PM »
Havent a clue how to copy and paste into a bbs forum

Offline Defiance

• Nickel Member
IRQ's
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2001, 06:56:00 PM »
Hiya,
     On bootup press delete or a F key (check manual) to get into the bios, Then goto pci settings or alike i forget which, There you will find slots and irq's
Scroll to slot and u can assign an irq to that slot, Once it's done remember to   save and exit !! then on reboot irq's are assigned as you just set em

Have Fun

Def

ps  put s/card in slot 3 and assign irq 5 to it, Vid can be on 9 or 11  it's usually irq 11

Def

EDIT......... best add this, In windose system even though no conflicts show you can get irq probs (windose don't know how to recognise them) so don't think it's not an irq prob just because windose aint found the prob
This is common with kt chipsets btw

[This message has been edited by Defiance (edited 05-17-2001).]

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
IRQ's
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2001, 07:09:00 PM »
The KT7 lets you assign IRQ's in its PNP section in the BIOS, here you find PIRQ_0 thru PIRQ_4 so u can essentially only assign 4 IRQ's but in so doing whole groups of components get assigned to that IRQ, what I'm after is being able to set say my vid card to IRQ 15 and only my vid card to IRQ 15, same for my sound card. All I have is my vid card, sound card and an ethernet card but I cant seem to figure out how to get just one component isolated to just one IRQ, you'd think with just 3 cards there shouldnt be any problem but there is.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
IRQ's
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2001, 06:39:00 AM »
Yes there is, especially with that board.  Here's why.  There are lots of on-board devices that require IRQ's, and they share them with various PCI slots.

I'll find you some more info.  I still need to know what slots each device is in.  Here is how to get the IRQ info into a BBS message.  Fire up msinfo32 again, and browse to the IRQ's folder under Hardware Resources.  Now RIGHT click on the IRQ's folder and choose "Save as text file".  Save it as irq.txt someplace.  Now go open up that text file with Notepad.  You can now cut and paste the results directly into a BBS message.  

------------------

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
IRQ's
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2001, 11:02:00 AM »
 Uhhh... cant you go into control panel.. errr system/devices and then change it there?

xbat
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
IRQ's
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2001, 11:26:00 AM »
OK, number 1 thanks for the help Leph!

Slot 4 Soundblaster Live 5.1
Slot 6 Ethernetcard
AGP Slot Leadtek GeForce2 GTS

0   System timer
1   Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
2   Programmable interrupt controller
3   SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
4   (free)
5   (System Reserved)
6   Standard Floppy Disk Controller
7   Printer Port (LPT1)
8   System CMOS/real time clock
9   (free)
10   NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS/GeForce2 Pro
10   ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
11   Creative SB Live! series
11   Realtek RTL8029(AS) PCI Ethernet NIC
11   VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
11   VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
11   ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
12   PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
13   Numeric data processor
14   Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
14   VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
15   Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
15   HPT370 UDMA/ATA100 RAID Controller
15   VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
15   ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering

OK dont know how I did it but I did so here it all is!

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
IRQ's
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2001, 11:54:00 AM »
I did look into changing IRQ in windows using
control panel, sys, device manger,double click several devices I was interested in, hit the resource tab, deselected auto select, hit change, and it reported this resource cannot be changed.

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
IRQ's
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2001, 12:09:00 PM »
Maybe I should point out why I'm interested in this belatedly <G>, two nights ago flying with squadies we tangled up with a CHog, I rolled onto the hogs 6 in a effort to pick it off from squadies 6, have near perfect firing solution start shallow dive onto the CHog and just as I'm ready to fire my screen goes frame freeze, new pic, frame freeze, new pic etc. totally blew the shot, this went away soon after I had pulled the nose up, this doesn't always happen but it does happen on occasion, some have asked if its steep dives etc. haven't really noticed if it's related to that or not, but something def is causing the AGP card to hang momentarily, frustrating cause it really screws up shots. I'm not sure if it was the dive or only being about 100 yards off the chog with a screen full of a moving object, just not sure what it is but it's gotta go <G>.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
IRQ's
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2001, 12:17:00 PM »
OK,

1.  Do you use USB devices?
2.  What disk drives are plugged into which controllers?

If you don't use USB, you can disable that in BIOS.  It's likely you do use it.  I use mine for my mouse and my stick.  Next, we'll make sure that any disk controllers you are not using are disabled in BIOS.  I only use  primary channel on the Highpoint, so I disable the secondary.  I have a CD Rom Primary Master on the onboard IDE, and I have a burner on Secondary Master, so I leave both of those enabled.  If you have less devices, you can disable more IDE controllers.

Go to http://www.viahardware.com  and download the latest official 4-in-1 drivers for your mainboard and install them.

Now the big nasty part is that you have your USB, your NIC, and your SB Live all on the same IRQ.  Yuck.  I'm surprised that thing doesn't blue-screen on boot.  SB Lives don't like to share.
 http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kt7/faqinstability.html#How%20do%20I%20avoid%20IRQ%20conflicts?

In the ABIT KT7, IRQs are shared by the following devices:

"INT Pin 1": AGP card and PCI Slot 1
"INT Pin 2": PCI Slot 2 and PCI Slot 3 and ACPI (if enabled)
"INT Pin 3": PCI Slot 5 (and HPT370 controller in KT7-RAID)
"INT Pin 4": PCI Slot 4 and PCI Slot 6 and USB

So, you are going to need to move some things around.  Shut down your box and move the SB Live up to Slot 2.  (Not PCI 1... leave one empty between the AGP slot and your SB Live)  When you reboot, the BIOS and Windows should sort out the new resource allocation ok.

Now you need to either leave your Ethernet card in Slot 6 and let it share with USB, or move it to Slot 5 and have it share with your Highpoint controller.  Yeah I know, you can't get it all on it's own.  I know, I'm in the exact same situation with my KA7-100.  You could if you disabled the Highpoint and ran your HD on the onboard IDE, but the onboard IDE SUCKS.  The HPT controllers actually seem happy to share IRQs.  If you move the SB Live, then test it out.  If you are still having problems, try moving the Ethernet card up to 5 and see if it will share with the Highpoint better than the USB.

Give that a shot and lets see how it goes.  

------------------

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
IRQ's
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2001, 03:18:00 AM »
OK removed the S.B. Live & ethernet card and powered sys up, all is well.

Moved S.B. Live to slot 2. sys comes goes thru the win 98 monitor logo screen then to the screen reporting IRQ assignments and crashes. Totally locks up requires the power supply to be shut down to bring computer down.

Moved S.B. Live to slot 3 same as above.

Moved S.B. Live to slot 4 now it's happy and now I remember why I had it in slot 4.

Moved ethernet card to slot 5 all is well it's happy there.

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
IRQ's
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2001, 03:19:00 AM »
Yes I do use USB for my CH Combat stick.

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
IRQ's
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2001, 03:39:00 AM »
K disabled all the disk controllers I wasn't using.

Sys reports that IRQ's 4, 5, & 9 are free but doesn't assign anything to them.