Author Topic: crashes and lockups caused by norton antivirus 2000 ? i found this artickle ...  (Read 507 times)

Offline air_guard

• Nickel Member
I found this post in sharky`s hardware forum and im curios if the rest of u guys having lokcups are using the norton also.
I do, and will disable it when i fly to check if it get better.
And i will also give a report if its ok  

Antivirus Causes Crashes
Posted by Moira Archdeacon: July 11th

Symantec has withdrawn the latest update of its antivirus software after some people found it caused their computers to become unresponsive. Through its "LiveUpdate" feature, Symantec's Norton Antivirus program can update its list of viruses to scan, as well as the scanning application itself. The most recent update from June 30, however, caused crashes on some computers, said Patrick Martin, product manager for Symantec's Antivirus Research Center. The problem was complicated by the fact that it was not the first time a new update caused problems. A problem in June left some Windows 2000 computers unresponsive and in need of a reboot. For a time, Symantec thought some complaints were new cases of the earlier problem, Martin said.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Too true.

Anything running in the background while you are playing AH is bad.  Anti-virus scanners are positively EVIL!  I reccomend shutting down any anti-virus or other processes you have running before playing AH or any other game.

Do the CNTRL-ALT-DEL trick and see what else is running.  End Task on anything that shouldn't be there, basically everything but Explorer and Systray.  Then start AH... you'll have much better luck.

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

"My P-47 is a pretty good ship, she took a round coming 'cross the Channel last trip.
Just thinking 'bout my baby and lettin' her rip, always got me through so far."
 - Steve Earl