Author Topic: One Big Arena, Multiple Zones?  (Read 571 times)

Offline Warspawn

• Nickel Member
One Big Arena, Multiple Zones?
« on: October 25, 2006, 12:58:25 PM »
Don't know if this has been discussed; if so, forgive the repost.  If it hasn't, maybe it's a way of looking at a possible organization of a 'mass' arena with 5k+ people in it without causing unplayable latency issues.

Many of the larger online games currently popular have used 'zones' or 'chunks' each controlled by seperate server clusters in order to give players the feeling they're in one huge world.  The world's population seems large at first glance; several thousand...while in reality it's several smaller 'zones' (arenas?) which allows players to transition between them upon reaching a certain physical point on the map.

I know this would cause abuse with people camping zone lines or running for them in order to zone to another safer area; perhaps we could implement the same sort of delay and consequences now seen when a player disconnects.  Maybe keep the zone/cluster lines in relatively uncontested areas of the map to minimize people running for them.  As you zone have the server place the aircraft in level flight on autopilot for the transition.

I wonder if this would work?  Segregate 4 or 8 contigent zones into a cluster, and have each of these served and operated by dedicated hardware.  When looking at the arena population and the roster, it would be shown with everyone in it and possibly what cluster.  Would allow for a huge amount of combatants within one arena, and keep friends and squads flying together.

Thoughts, comments?  Dead horse meets stick once again?
Purple haze all in my brain
Lately things just don't seem the same
Actin' funny, but I don't know why

'Scuse me while I kiss the sky                 
                                                 --J. Hendrix

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 01:03:57 PM »
Dead horse meets stick once again

Your idea realy does not address the core issue of why we set the limits.

It has nothing to do with the technical ability of putting lots of people into one world. And has everying thing to do with what happens to social dynamics when you put everyone in one world.

HiTech

Offline Warspawn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 01:06:55 PM »
Ah, thanks HT!

So it's a manipulation of social interaction and player-driven game aspects rather than hardware/software limitations and playability at a certain numbers cap.

Understood.

And I still play and enjoy the game.  Just sad to see many of the people I enjoyed it with bail after so many years.  Then again, there's all kinds of new victims comming onboard, lol!
Purple haze all in my brain
Lately things just don't seem the same
Actin' funny, but I don't know why

'Scuse me while I kiss the sky                 
                                                 --J. Hendrix

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 01:22:25 PM »
Easiest solution to social problem... kill all communications between countries. That would divide the mass of people into 3 sections.

People are much more polite to players on the same side. Chan 200 enables smack talking to the opponents.

I bet most people play AH to fight the human controlled enemy planes.. not to talk to the people controlling them. There is enough talking to people on one's own side and to the closest co-operating people.

Making smaller arenas does not make enemies talk to eachother in any friendlier way. This whole game is about defeating the opponent... its compeating nature necessarily creates winners and losers. The losers will always behave nicely and in a constructive happy way... only in a utopia.

People make friends on the same side and in the events.. again on the same side. Then they make friends on these boards.

In the real world people do NOT make friends e.g. on a football fields from the opposing team during the game. They might make friends after the game.

...But let's first PLAY the game... and make friends from the opponents later or elsewhere!

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline nick172

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 01:47:02 PM »
You know thats an idea I acctually like, lose channel 200, only keep the salute as the only communication between the countrys. channel 200 does nothing for gameplay other then to bash players.

Nick

Offline bigsky406

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 01:54:15 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
Your idea realy does not address the core issue of why we set the limits.

It has nothing to do with the technical ability of putting lots of people into one world. And has everying thing to do with what happens to social dynamics when you put everyone in one world.

HiTech

Social dynamics of everyone in one world....  Sounds like HT had to make changes before peace talks broke out.

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 02:20:43 PM »
Originally posted by nick172
You know thats an idea I acctually like, lose channel 200, only keep the salute as the only communication between the countrys. channel 200 does nothing for gameplay other then to bash players.

Nick

I strongly disagree...channel 200 is what you make it.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Gloves

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 02:26:14 PM »
Originally posted by nick172

Nick

Channel 200 is a choice, not a requirement.  You don't have to tune into it.  200 replaced channel 1 when it was a channel you could use for typing to other countries.  

Bottom line, if you don't like 200, just tune to a different channel.

Glove

Offline Vad

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 02:27:12 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
And has everying thing to do with what happens to social dynamics when you put everyone in one world.

HiTech

Seems, I'm stupid and just don't understand what everybody else see clear.
What's exactly the problem with social dynamic? What's the problem with community you are trying to fix?

I would be more than happy to help you if I were know what's the problem? Is it secret?

It is a little bit strange if somebody tells you that you are part of the problem (and I am part of the problem because I'm part of community) but doesn't tell you what is the problem.

Horde mentality? 200 chat? You mentioned that game now is not as good as it was before... Ok, but I wasn't here before, and most of the new players weren't, so how could we know what is your goal and what do you try to achieve?

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 02:58:21 PM »
Originally posted by Vad
Seems, I'm stupid and just don't understand what everybody else see clear.
What's exactly the problem with social dynamic? What's the problem with community you are trying to fix?

I would be more than happy to help you if I were know what's the problem? Is it secret?

Good Q, i also  don't get it?!
if are financial trouble , needs more hardware, or something, i would pay anytime for few years in advance, just bring the MA  back

:)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 03:08:21 PM by ghi »

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 03:21:16 PM »
Im afraid I don't understand the problem either. If its because of the behavior of a few, it doesnt matter the size of the arena. An arena size of 10 is bound to have atleast one jerk in it. People will still vulch, pork, dive-buff, and argue silly points as much as one in a large arena.

~AoM~

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 03:22:22 PM »
IF it's a social issue - well if you can figure out how to fix it in a microcosim of a video game subscriptions...you could make a billion in the real world or become a politician.

It's happening everywhere...

Look at sports for instance...Fights and brawls, fights a pee-wee football games...fans getting rowdy....

Even politics this year seems particulary nasty... alot of personal attacks..

I think if you can find away to get respect of others into the game and player base...

it'd solve many of the problems.

Offline x0847Marine

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 03:29:27 PM »
Originally posted by Rino
I strongly disagree...channel 200 is what you make it.

It would be nice to perma-squelch a dozen or neo-pubes before logging on. I'd also like more options about what I see on screen; selectively refuse salutes, private texts / vox.. We all know who they are, the "Go down easily, or there will be some crying!!" crowd.. it gets dull HT, make it easier for us to wipe these people off our screens for good.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 04:03:08 PM »
HT has exercised a Zone limit........except he has called an arena a zone and he has said this is the size they will be...........

It quite clear he is convinced that (in AH) high populations cause detrimental effects in community well being........this regardless of gameplay.

The only interaction  I can see within a zone that is not a function of game play yet is a method of interacting with the whole arena populace is the radio channels.

The range of these could be modified...............

1 (and the 200's) could be cross country 1 sector range (and origin tower) when airborn and full arena when in the tower

2 could be in country 1 sector range (and origin tower) when airborn and full country when in the tower.

3 local

4 any where squad.

5 any where  mission.

HT has achieved his ends without need for a patch......the above would of course require one.

If he wanted to then influence local (in arena) gameplay densities or gross missbalances he could add a zone  limit system. (more work more patch)

HT is of course aware of all these options. Quite clearly the one implemented to date was the easiest both technically and with respect to resources. Plus it has also added choice for them that wants it.
Ludere Vincere

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 04:22:46 PM »
Originally posted by Waffle BAS
IF it's a social issue - well if you can figure out how to fix it in a microcosim of a video game subscriptions...you could make a billion in the real world or become a politician.

It's happening everywhere...

Look at sports for instance...Fights and brawls, fights a pee-wee football games...fans getting rowdy....

Even politics this year seems particulary nasty... alot of personal attacks..

I think if you can find away to get respect of others into the game and player base...

it'd solve many of the problems.

Should all Disco-Club owners, ban dancing and drinking for all the clients cuz 1-2 customers broke few botles?:(