Author Topic: Planes Disappearing  (Read 664 times)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Planes Disappearing
« on: August 29, 2001, 01:38:00 PM »
This has been happening to me regularly for a couple months now (I believe it started when the last version came out).  I literally lose low flying planes in the ground.  If someone dips below ~500 feet or so and I am above them, they disappear.  If I drop down below 500 feet as well, they become visible again, starting with the icon and working down to the plane as long as I keep descending.  This seems to be ~500 AGL, because I've lost people that flew very close to hills until I came up next to the hill to.  I can still see their shadow on the ground, so I can keep track of where they are and sort of what they are doing, but it gets hard to dogfight sometimes when the enemy plane literally dissapears for a few seconds.

I've also seen it when any enemy plane was behind me and I was shooting out of the tailgunner position.  Happened twice- once in a Lanc and once in a B26- a guy was coming up at about 1000 yards and just dissapeared- I could still see the tracers coming towards me so I knew where to shoot, and he "popped" back into existance a few seconds later though.

I'm a lot more worried about the invisible planes below 500 feet, as this can play a rather significant role in a dogfight  :).  My computer is a 900 mhz Athlon, with 256 Mb ram, and a 32 Mb Geforce 2 MX card with the driver file version of 4.13.01.1241.  I've tried 2 or 3 other drivers with it, and the same thing still happens.  I've got DX 8.0.  

Could it have something to do with the way my video card is set up in Windows?  Or possibly my video options in Aces High?  Does anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it?

Offline Thawky

• Zinc Member
Planes Disappearing
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2001, 03:30:00 PM »
I have the same problems, and I also have Ground objects like field guns disapearing and The carrier deck at about 800 yards out and then reapearing at about 100

System specs

Asus a7a266 with a AMD 1.3
Geforce 256 DDR
256 megs of DDR
CH F-16 fighter stick with homade rudder peddals

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
Planes Disappearing
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2001, 09:58:00 PM »
{ubb bug}

Offline Baine

• Copper Member
Planes Disappearing
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2001, 02:01:00 PM »
Same here
Duron 800
256 mb ram
Voodoo 2 pci

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Planes Disappearing
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2001, 10:25:00 PM »
Guys, that's a feature, not a bug.  :)  Low flying planes have no icon.  It's been this way for a while now.

As for the CV disappearing, that sounds like a driver bug to me.  I see you have a GF card and Athlon, so I'd recommend using the 12.41 or 7.78 drivers.  (The 21.81 drivers are too new and I have no experience with them yet.)  The 12.41s have additional 3dnow code in them that the 7.78s do not have, which is why I recommend them over the 7.78s.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Planes Disappearing
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2001, 11:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by bloom25:
Guys, that's a feature, not a bug.   :)  Low flying planes have no icon.  It's been this way for a while now.

As for the CV disappearing, that sounds like a driver bug to me.  I see you have a GF card and Athlon, so I'd recommend using the 12.41 or 7.78 drivers.  (The 21.81 drivers are too new and I have no experience with them yet.)  The 12.41s have additional 3dnow code in them that the 7.78s do not have, which is why I recommend them over the 7.78s.

Naw bud, it is a BUG- the whole PLANE dissapears, not just the icon  :).  You can track him by the shadow, which doesn't dissapear, but the entire plane actually dissapears.  I've been playing with the new beta, it does not happen there (with my old drivers or the new Detonator 4's).

Offline Baine

• Copper Member
Planes Disappearing
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2001, 09:25:00 AM »
Yes, it's a bug. I'm not talking about just losing plane icons when they dive down low. Hangers disappear on fields as I dive bomb them, carriers and ships disappear as I approach to make a landing. These objects reappear as I pass them.

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
Planes Disappearing
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2001, 05:34:00 PM »
Make sure "use z-buffer" is unticked in video setup  :)
Steely
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber