Author Topic: x52 stick cfg  (Read 542 times)

Offline cndian

• Zinc Member
x52 stick cfg
« on: October 26, 2006, 08:04:35 PM »
Hola folks

Anyone with a saitek 52 system have a good stick setup.  Seems my setup is way too sensitive

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
x52 stick cfg
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 06:05:46 AM »
What exactly do you mean by too sensitive? All the controls or just one thing?

The saitek profiler has a setting to adjust the sensitivity of the stick. Sort of like the dampening in the game. Look it up in the saitek help file. I have never used it but I know the fuction is there.

Have you properly calibrated it in the game? and did you use scaling on all your axis's? Also try messing with the "dampening" adjustment in the game. This will dampen the control a bit so you dont get jerky movements. I tried it both ways with scaling and with dampening but it made no difference for me. I now have no scaling and no dampening.But thats me. It may help you to use the above suggestions.

I have an X52 too.

My problem:
Everything works pretty good except the rudder controls. I have been trying to figure out how to make this work correctly. When I use the rudder (twist the stick) and then let go(or twist back) the plane just bounces back and forth like a rubber ball. Its useless to me in adjusting for a shot. the plane just wags back and forth. The rudder does turn the plane when applying it and this works fine but when you release it the plane wags terribly. I dont know if this is how the plane is supposed to respond or not.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
x52 stick cfg
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 07:12:02 AM »
Sounds to me that both of you should check your stick scaling in the Joystick set-up. To do this open your clipboard and select Options>Controls>Map controlers. Now check the ADVANCED box - upper left screen. Next check the ENABLE SCALING box.

Now. use your mouse to hilight the "Y axis (elevator) in the window on the right. Go back to the left side and select DEFAULTS. You should now see a gradual rise of scale sliders in the 0 - 90 columns. This is good. Click on OK back on the right side and repeat this process for the X axis (ailerons) and Z Rotation axis (rudder) Just be sure to check OK on the right side after enabling each default axis.

Finally, recalibrate all axes and you should be good to go with minimum bouncing around. Keep in mind that you can tweak those 0 - 90 band sliders for finer tuning. Please refer to the Aces High Help files, or Netaces.org for further info on this matter.

Holler back if you need further assistance. Good luck!

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
x52 stick cfg
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 10:07:36 AM »
Originally posted by Agent360

Everything works pretty good except the rudder controls. I have been trying to figure out how to make this work correctly. When I use the rudder (twist the stick) and then let go(or twist back) the plane just bounces back and forth like a rubber ball. Its useless to me in adjusting for a shot. the plane just wags back and forth. The rudder does turn the plane when applying it and this works fine but when you release it the plane wags terribly. I dont know if this is how the plane is supposed to respond or not.

Agent, the motion you're refering too is "normal".  Normal as in that it's normal for the nose to overshoot when the rudder is released, this is the bouncing you're talking about and it's usually very pronounced in yaw.  (Actually, all flight controls do this to a degree)  Damping is a measure of how quickly the overshoots go away after releasing the control input.  

Try increasing your damping settings in AH to see if that helps.  I use Saitek rudder pedals now but when I used the twist grip I enabled scaling and adjusted the curve so I could make fine adjustments easily, you might try that.
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
x52 stick cfg
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 01:00:41 PM »
Thanks for the help guys.

I have been playing with the scaling and dampening on just the rudder but havent got it figured out yet.

Applying the rudder works good but again when returning the rudder to center is where the wag comes in. So when turning on a target and then using the rudder to make smaller adjustments in setting up for a shot is problematic.

The scale goes from 0 to 90 starting at bottom left and up to top right in a strait line. How would I adjust the scaling to dampen the return of the rudder to center. I cant figure out how to shape the curve to do this. Do you know?

I am thinking the curve applies to both sides equally. What I really need is a curve to pull rudder and a curve to release rudder. A little wag is ok as that would make a good bullet spread on the target but at this point I get about 20 to 30 degrees of wag each way when releasing. Its a lot of overshoot. Even releasing with fine control causes this.

I have tried to use the dampen control but that just makes dead space on the stick and I dont really need that. I have good fine motor control in my hand and no problem with jerky movements when flying. It's just the rudder problem.

Thanks

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
x52 stick cfg
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 02:53:44 PM »
Actually Dead Band kills stick input to controllers around center.
Damping delays stick input to controllers. The difference is Damping helps new folks who get twitchy when they hear bullets hitting their plane and yank the stick. If you do it too quickly you even get a message "don't move your controls so rapidly" followed by a complete lock up for a few seconds. If I remember correctly the object of the message and lock up was to prevent "stick stirring".  Stick stirring is an attempt to rotate the stick enough so the plane flies so erratically that perhaps the guy who's engaging you might miss.
Stick stirring was not a true representation of how a plane flies. So, Damping merrely delays that initial yank when you get hit and try to break.
Dead Band is even simple. It kills the pots input around center. It has been traditionally used to kill spikes in potentiometers. Spikes of old or dirty pots normally occcur around center. You can move the slider up to kill the pots input to begin after the spot it spikes. The stick has a longer throw but the spikes go away.

My personal preference is to set up the stick to reflect an actual planes stick input/control surface movement.
That just means at high speed you have much more control over your stick inputs and at low speed you must move the stick more achieve the same effect. This provides more precise input at any speed on all 3 axis'. The reason being at slow speed where you're closer to the stall you want more "feel" from the stick and the ability to move the stick minutely to maintain coordinated flight on the back edge of the flight envelope. At high speed you have the control to never enter into a black out unless you choose to do.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 02:57:08 PM by DamnedRen »