Author Topic: Personal Views of the Changes  (Read 1131 times)

Offline Warchief

• Copper Member
      • http://
Personal Views of the Changes
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2006, 05:59:46 PM »
Thank you Kev for getting to the point and helping everyone else figure out what I was saying.

Hubsonfire I dont think someone is trying to screw anyone over. If two sides outnumber one then the two the outnumber the one should be hit with ENY if its purpose is to even things out. For those who say ENY does not need adjusted well then I have one good point to make. THe current ENY has the Huricane IIC ENY @ 10 but most 190's eny except the D-9 and the Ta-152 have there ENY around 20. So how does the ENY not need adjusting. Yes I know the HUrricane IIC has cannon but you can run away from it. It is not like the Niki or the Tiffie that can run some of the planes down.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2006, 06:02:35 PM »
Originally posted by Kev367th
Think the point he was trying to make -

1) If one side is getting hammered in say LW2, some do log off and goto LW1.
2) Imbalance in numbers therefore occurs in both arenas.
3) If a guy logs in and sees the same thing he goes to other LW arena, result even more imbalance.
4) Because of the caps its nigh on impossible to get people into arenas to try and balance the numbers.

This is something HT hasn't addressed or commented on, he just skips over it.

Dunno if would be possible to allow someone to log into an arena that is capped as long as it is not on the highest numbered side.

Give a choice -
a) Arena is full goto other arena
b) Arena is full but you can join one of
  • sides as they have the lowest numbers.

Would allow poeple to switch between LW1 and 2 probably without even havin to change countries ( usually diff countries have the numbers in each LW arenas) even with caps on.

All well and good, Kev, but you're going by the assumption that everyone is looking for a numerically advantageous situation. While we're not a majority, I'm sure, I know some actually look for the underdogs and fly there.

Also, if the caps prevent people from even logging in to balance the sides, then it's not really doing that. It's not letting them in, period, so it's also keeping out those who would create further imbalance.

IMO, there aren't that many better alternatives to the current setup. We could log in, and be assigned to a particular team as numbers fluctuate. I foresee nothing but deafening whines should this be the case. HT could put in place an even tougher ENY setup (ie, disabling flight, or vehicles, or ord, etc). HT could write some code to prevent people from logging in except on the underdog side, but then the country change code would also have to be rewritten to keep folks from logging in, then switching to the high numbers sides. I suppose there are others, but I can't recall any that seem like they'd even work. The carrot and stick approach obviously isn't going to sway most people, so it's basically got be plain old stick.

I know it wouldn't be popular, but instead of trying to write complex setups that shuffle people around or multiply perks or what have you, were I in HT shoes, I'd get the biggest stick possible, and I'd use it against the high numbers side until people got the drift.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2006, 06:09:16 PM »
Originally posted by Warchief
Thank you Kev for getting to the point and helping everyone else figure out what I was saying.

Hubsonfire I dont think someone is trying to screw anyone over. If two sides outnumber one then the two the outnumber the one should be hit with ENY if its purpose is to even things out. For those who say ENY does not need adjusted well then I have one good point to make. THe current ENY has the Huricane IIC ENY @ 10 but most 190's eny except the D-9 and the Ta-152 have there ENY around 20. So how does the ENY not need adjusting. Yes I know the HUrricane IIC has cannon but you can run away from it. It is not like the Niki or the Tiffie that can run some of the planes down.

Oh, I agree that the ENY system needs to be adjusted. It needs to be made even more punitive. ENY values aren't set according to top speed, or fuel load, or some performance chart. The ENY values have been adjusted in what, the last year or 2?, to reflect a plane's popularity or usage as well.

The hurri turns well, takes a beating, carries ord, has 4 hizookas, and good range. I would think that if the 152 or D9 were better planes for the MA, that we'd see more of them. In my experience, this is not the case at all. I see virtually no 152s (maybe 1 or 2 a week, tops?), but I see a hurricane every single sortie.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney

Offline Warchief

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2006, 06:11:38 PM »
At least people are posting answer and suggestions not just making BS comments. Hubson I se your point but I am sure things could work that way. But not only would you have to deal with the whines you mention, but you would have to deal with the whines about my country got tagged team by these 2 countries and we couldnt get more people in two even things outs. One possible solution would be to cut it down to two countries with all the aircraft available as it is right now and also solve problem of news maps because you could bring over the maps from AvA and Special Events to used.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2006, 06:18:41 PM »
In theory, that might work, but the side balancing issue would have to be aggressively enforced (and a lot more whining would result), and then there'd be the misery that the sudden removal of whatever country we were loyal to for 7 years yadda yadda stuff.

I would be interested to see the 2 sided setup tried out, however, the constant war-on-2-fronts deal we have now seems like it would make for a little more dynamic gameplay, and I can only presume that a change like that would have some pretty drastic effects on gameplay. Whether good or bad, I honestly don't know.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Offline palef

• Gold Member
Re: Re: Personal Views of the Changes
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2006, 06:36:28 PM »
Originally posted by ghi
The game is  soo  poor in EW models, imop EW arena is a joke, it shouldn't exist

In your opinion of course. IMO it is the best thing to happen to AH EVER.
Retired

Offline moneyguy

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2006, 06:49:37 PM »
i personally like the changes, i do however, believe that they have had a negative effect on some of the current squads. i also think that it will get better in time.  the way it seems now is that some people like the way the main arena was. those people are most likely going to be in late war. others like the early war or mid war.  in my opinion some squads will lose the players that dont like the arena that their squad primarily plays in. or they may not like to jump arena's or countries. i feel that once things settle a little more you are going to find squads that only play in one arena or for one country.  you will also find squads that have players that dont care which arena that they play in and are willing to jump countries to even the sides. either way, things will eventually work out.

my  $0.02

moneyguy

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2006, 07:05:20 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
All well and good, Kev, but you're going by the assumption that everyone is looking for a numerically advantageous situation. While we're not a majority, I'm sure, I know some actually look for the underdogs and fly there.

Also, if the caps prevent people from even logging in to balance the sides, then it's not really doing that. It's not letting them in, period, so it's also keeping out those who would create further imbalance.

Agreed, thats why I suggested -

You could only log into a capped if -
a) You were prepared to change sides

or

b) You are already a member of one of the lowered numbered sides.

Still keeps out members of the higher numbered side.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2006, 11:58:23 PM »
Secret is to go low numbers and fly the 38G.  ENY is never an issue :)

Nothing more fun then wading into a crowd of LA7s and Spit 16s and seeing how many you can take with ya before you get mugged.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2006, 12:18:44 AM »
Dan, I would say it was fun last night doing that with you, but everyone obviously knows I am to timid to do that.

:D
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline Warchief

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2006, 06:54:18 AM »
OK guys about this since we have the two LW areans make one with the 3 countries and the other with just twp. Test it out and see how it goes.

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2006, 07:34:11 AM »
Originally posted by ghi
The game is  soo  poor in EW models, imop EW arena is a joke, it shouldn't exist

I couldn't possibly disagree more Sir. My initial feelings about the arena split were less than positive. However, I was determined to give it a try before screaming the sky is falling.

Since the split most of my time is spent in EW and I havn't had so much fun in AH in years. I have had the great fortune of fighting some of the better sticks in this game on a REGULAR basis and the fights have been intense and extremely enjoyable. On top of that I rarely have any trouble finding a fight. I respect your right to your viewpoint GHI, I just don't understand it. Sir.

Offline soupcan

• Copper Member
Re: Re: Re: Personal Views of the Changes
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2006, 11:57:03 PM »
Originally posted by aztec
Since the split most of my time is spent in EW and I havn't had so much fun in AH in years. I have had the great fortune of fighting some of the better sticks in this game on a REGULAR basis and the fights have been intense and extremely enjoyable. On top of that I rarely have any trouble finding a fight.

I argee 100%

popped into the EW a couple of nights ago and although the total numbers were low it wasn't hard to find the fight at all. Had a couple of situations
where the stall buzzer was more on than off , the palms were sweating,
and the heart was racing, deperately trying to get the guy behind me to stall
before my backside was ripped open by a spray of lead. My take was that most EW players didn't care much if a base was being captured as long as there
were a couple spots realitivly close together where fighting could take place.
I think my fighter ability improved by a least 50% after taking a 109f into battle
a few times. Seriously I am now doing manuevers in an F6F in MW which were
not in my line-up before and i owe it to spending some time in the EW.

There are alot of good fights in the MW area going on too. Some of them
really fierce, even if the numbers are a bit low. The other morning I had 20
minutes to kill before going to work........
popped into MW, 12 people in there, and guess what, i had some of the most intense base defense action i have ever seen (2 of us defending against 4
attackers). It was great, so good that i showed up for work 5 min late =(.

Someone has to take the first step in populating the arenas or else they would always be at ZERO. Give the MW and EW a try u might be surprized
at how much fun they can be.
Addicted since tour 62.
news in game.
http://www.415thsquad.com/

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Re: Personal Views of the Changes
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2006, 07:49:59 AM »
Early War Arena has become Furballers paradise.

Yes ... there are many good fights going on and longer lasting fights between fields, but don't kid yourself ... there are at times toolshedders and milkrunners in this arena too pumpin' up their rank.

Mid War Arena appears to be the toolshedders and milkrunners haven.

While there are toolshedders and milkrunners in this arena pumpin' up their rank, there are many there for the fight, and like EW, they are good fights and can last a long time. It is not just filled with toolshedders and milkrunners.

Late War Arena is where most come to becuase it offers both.

LW is where most come because ... it offers the late-war uber drag machines along with furballing, toolshedding, and milkrunning.

The problem with the changes has been is negetive impact on Squads which is one of the conerstones of the AH community. Squads have given a lot to the community. The ones who appear to be complaining about mega squads are ones who may never have been in one. Myself I am one or used to be the 31st FG. I have been playing since AH1 and never had a problem with a "mega" squad before. Most "mega squads" seem to be a collection of a large group of people who have the same goals but different ways of doing it. You have your bomber, furballers, gv, and attack guys and many squads are broken down to reflect that while others are guys who love to fly together but due to where they live or when they are able to play differs so they broke there squad into multiple wings to accomodate that. If you wish to complain about mega squads then please do so in a manner that does not say I hate mega squads because of jealous or personal views. Mega squads are at times the mainstays of the AH coomunity and teach people how to do things thus allowing noobs to learn the tricks of the trade and be a value to the AH community. Squads themselves have been in the past the ones who maintained base defense and offensives.

I belonged to a "Mega-Squad" for 2+ years ... am I now qualified to speak ?

Eny restrictions have been kicking the crap out of all of us. Restricting what you can fly. No big deal at first but in the LW arena many times people have been stuck flying what are aircraft from EWA against LA7, Spit 16, P51D and many late war aircraft. This is not balancing anything out. IF you are in LWA ENY should be adjusted to allow some sense of capability to defend yourself. Should there be an ENY? Yes, but as it stands right now due to current arean setups individuals are abusing it. Some will log in but once there side starts losing they leave the Arena and go to other and this is why their is such a big difference in country sizes in the different arenas. To me people log off because they are losing and sit and wait for people to leave because of ENY then come back so they cant prevent a lose. I am a Bish and for as long as I can remember Bish have been the ones who normally are the ones playing Defense all the time. Before the split we were outnumbered and yes many complained about it. So ENY was brought in to help it out. It worked but I do not remember prior to the split where the only aircraft I had to choice from was a early war aircraft to face late war aircraft,

ENY is not supposed to balance numbers ... it is meant to entice people to switch sides (those that don't have an allegiance to a single chess piece) so that numbers will be balanced. If those who enjoy a huge advantage in population then they must face the ENY sword ... don't want to balance ... then dust off the EW rides and get ready.

Prior to the split ... I have seen ENY take a country down to just early war rides every time the percentage of imbalance justified it.

4) Forgot one so had to edit this in. Collisions!!! Yes they should be on but like many things people using for its unintended purpose. If A collsions happens then both aircraft should both die and the one who caused the collision should then be restricted from upping an aircraft for a time period maybe 5 minutes. They could still up GV but not aircraft. Now some may say that wont work with bombers. Well when they land it comes into effect.

If a collision happens when both aircraft see a collision then both will die ... as far as who caused the collision and grounding them for 5 minutes ... I doubt strongly that will happen and I don't agree with it.

Because we really suffer no "death" in this game, sometimes when performing ACMs in a fight, we get real tight to create angles and sometimes collisions happen ... no way would I want to be punished for this nor would I like my opponent to suffer the same.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2006, 08:05:46 AM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
>>>>>
If a collision happens when both aircraft see a collision then both will die ... as far as who caused the collision and grounding them for 5 minutes ... I doubt strongly that will happen and I don't agree with it.

Nearly... if both get a collision the both get damage, but you can get damage which doesnt cause you to die.