Author Topic: Kerry "Your educated and smart or your in Iraq"  (Read 3811 times)

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
Kerry "Your educated and smart or your in Iraq"
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 03:02:50 PM »
who said anything about medals?  the guy is a pompous prettythang
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2006, 03:29:52 PM »
I think by and large that is accurate.  ~30% of the people in the United States have bachelors degrees.  What is the percentage of enlisted personnel with bachelors degrees?

I seem to recall we had a discussion like this not to long ago.  

Don't get me wrong, I think the military is a great option for young people coming out of high school.  I wish I had served coming out of high school, I think I would be a better person than I am now.  

But to castigate the guy for basically saying "College is the way to success".. well, I think that seems harsh.

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2006, 03:40:41 PM »
Originally posted by Urchin
I think by and large that is accurate.  ~30% of the people in the United States have bachelors degrees.  What is the percentage of enlisted personnel with bachelors degrees?

I seem to recall we had a discussion like this not to long ago.  

Don't get me wrong, I think the military is a great option for young people coming out of high school.  I wish I had served coming out of high school, I think I would be a better person than I am now.  

But to castigate the guy for basically saying "College is the way to success".. well, I think that seems harsh.

College = success?

I joined the military to help pay my way through college.  I learned far more about honor, respect, duty and all else that I value in the military than college.  Your selfish lack of insight is despicable.

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2006, 03:49:08 PM »
Originally posted by Urchin

Define success? I know a lot of people that make > $100k/yr. None of them have degrees. I'm even fortunate enough to be one of them. Hooray for autodidacts?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2006, 03:58:41 PM »
Well, if Kerry had said that one should strive for in college for an education otherwise you'd be one of the blind and ignorant masses supporting Herr Bush then Kerry would have been right on target with his comments.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline 2Slow

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2006, 04:21:45 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
Well, if Kerry had said that one should strive for in college for an education otherwise you'd be one of the blind and ignorant masses supporting Herr Bush then Kerry would have been right on target with his comments.

ack-ack

I served 20 years, right out of High School.  Earned a B.S. while an enlisted man.  I was neither blind nor ignorant.  Nor am I now.

Other than Kerry's service time, he has not "worked" an honest or dishonest day of his life.  He married rich twice.  To his credit the second one was richer than his first wife.
2Slow
Secundum mihi , urbanus resurrectio
TANSTAAFL

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2006, 04:22:33 PM »
I know of virtually no one in my upper middle class, 98 percent college bound northern Chicago suburb that went on to serve in the military. I can count them on one hand (myself included) though there may actually be another hand's worth out of my graduating class of 600 that I don't know about. You see, the military is for losers with no other opportunities :aok

How many socialites serve their country anymore like they were obliged to in the past (Kennedy's Roosevelts, etc.)? Are the "Hilton" types, who reap the absolute most that America has to offer, putting anything back? (Not counting the charity figure their accountants recommend after taking advantage of every other tax loophole they can.)

How many politicians of any stripe bother to serve? Or the Ivy League swells that get the free ticket to power in politics, the press and industry? The nickname set -- the "Scooters" and "Brownies" -- the Hampton’s crowd.

For me, that is one of the major reasons I support some form of (no easy out) selective service (with both military and community service options). We have a "leadership class" that is removed from the realities of 95 percent of the average population. A leadership class that is more akin to vampires or parasites, IMO. What’s a joke is that they can play the partisan politics game and all us common folk just eat their **** and let their special interests buy the best Washington the top 0.5 percent of the population can buy. They give us “folk” a $300 tax break (sort of) and we smile, while they bank an additional $3 million off of the measly 15 percent they might have been stuck paying in the first place. Perhaps a fair flat tax for all with the only loophole being a 5% to 10% reduction for an honorable discharge from the selective service program would be fair.

Here’s an interesting article on how it may be the “fairly rich" that ultimately reign in the excesses of the super wealthy.

Revolt of the fairly rich

Charon
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 04:25:26 PM by Charon »

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2006, 04:35:54 PM »
Originally posted by Gunthr
who said anything about medals?  the guy is a pompous prettythang

He was called a "War Hero" with the snide-remark-quotes.

Who said he wasn't an ass?

storch

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2006, 04:43:04 PM »
as with every other elistist liberal.  there is nothing new in that post and it comes as no surprise to any thinking American.  why do people even bother with this man?

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2006, 04:44:10 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
It is unfortunate that these:

wow, are those his real medals? Did you get them out of a dumpster or what?

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2006, 04:44:34 PM »
Well if he had any thoughts for 08. He might as well forget them now.

You can be sure the GOP and the vets wont
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DYNAMITE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.texasaircav.com/
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2006, 04:55:30 PM »
In reference to the Kerry gaff... well, to be honest I thought he was referring to Bush, not our men and women in uniform.

He (Kerry) had been speaking about Bush immediatly before the remark and immediatly after... oh well, in politics, perception is everything - and a quote taken out of context can kill a career (and an election).

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2006, 04:57:02 PM »
The thing about the word "uneducated" is that it is one of the least permanent words in the world.

I don't think anyone would dispute that after a few years in the military, the term no longer applies to you.

I also think it would be a bit group-huggy to suggest that a few hours before bootcamp, the term doesn't apply to many on the bus.

Edit - I guess pretty much in the same way that the term would or wouldn't apply to anyone that graduated from a university, or was on their way to one.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 05:01:10 PM by Vudak »
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2006, 05:11:05 PM »
Sen Kerry should have married Jane Fonda... That way it would save me travel distance from grave to grave just to urinate on them.

Oh BTW I'm a Hard Right Wing Reagan Republican. Served 20 Years in the Army, Airbourne Recon, crawled through tunnels in Asia and have a College degree. Univ of Maryland.  Medals/Ribbons are nothing but cloth and metal. Seen many people get watermelon that they didn't deserve.  

Wait didn't Kerry throw his medals over the White House fence in '73?  Noooo... it was his friends metals.... remember when Kerry testified before Congress that Nam was an Unjust War?  And I remember him saluting before the DNC that he was reporting for duty.  But wait, it gets better. He has a plan... never outlined chit... a plan for what? Kerry?

What bothers me is someone actually voted this ****** as a Senator. Can you all say the word "Liberals" Boys and Girls.

Kerry has no balls. At least Hillary visited Iraq once... she's about as worthful as Kerry anyways.

America needs to be strong. You don't get strong with Democrats, you get suckered into paying taxes for Liberal wetdreams such as the snail darter, NAFTA and crap.  Jimmy Carter and Michael Moore should get a room together...and all your Hollywood favorites.  How many of them have left America yet after they said they would if we went to War?  Not ONE!

And the Michael J Fox crap... you can see him many times on different political shots not twitching at all.. WTF are you so blind that you can't see?

As for me I am not a sheep and will not follow BS.  It's time for a
"Free America" Only the voters, the legal registered ones, can make it happen!

I, myself, will place a Manger with the Christ child, Angels, the three Kings with sheep and donkeys infront of the public Library in my town and defend it with a baseball bat and love.  Screw with it.  BTW it's a "Christmas Tree" and it's "Christmas"  Not a Holiday Tree or XMas.

America, Love it or Leave it!

Mac
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 05:14:49 PM by AWMac »

storch

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2006, 05:12:58 PM »
who in the blazes is jim kerry?