Author Topic: Repost: New Maps Idea  (Read 730 times)

Offline 68ROX

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Repost: New Maps Idea
« on: October 31, 2006, 04:39:10 PM »
Sorry Mod's for the repost, because I may have posted it originally in the wrong heading...here goes...

Many players would LOVE to see a a situation where any given map may only show up one week a month.

From what we hear from HTC, they are working on it.

I've done marketing all my life, and have an idea that would give HTC many more NEW maps, and basically cost them jack...

A) Contest. Publish the requirements, specifications, and criteria in advance and give players a 2 to 3 month deadline. Allow players to submit a maximum of three maps. Provide a big enough "carrot" of 4 months free play for the grand prize winner, three months for second place, two months for third place, and runners up who get their maps used by HTC get one month free, and all get nice kudos on the AH website.

B) University Programmers. Pretty much the same "carrot" as above but turn the project over to a trusted university computer programming department. Make sure your Director of Marketing throws in a pizza and beer party when he's making the pitch. Same prizes....AND....just maybe some gifted soul just might find a career with HTC after graduation!

This makes sure there are an influx of maps, yet, doesn't tie up HiTech's programmers to have to do it. The "carrots" are pretty inexpensive, considering.

With all the new members expected over the coming months, RETENTION will be the key to HTC's success....and fresh maps will be instrumental in getting those new arrivals to stay...and play.

HiTech--If I can help with the marketing, just drop me a line!

ROX

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 08:50:54 AM »
I like this idea, but maybe you should send HTC an email with it, or give them a call. Just so it doesn't get lost  :)

Offline 68ROX

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 01:36:14 PM »
I did.

I did get an email back saying pretty much that if I posted it in the Wishlist Forum that HiTech read it.

I'd think that it would be highly viable for them (HTC) because it would garner the largest amount of VIABLY USABLE maps for a minimal cost.

Thanks!

ROX
**PigStompers**

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 10:45:44 AM »
i think the issue is how hard mapping is for AHII. Theres so many things to think about, so many little "issues" with the TE, and so many little things you need to know to get a map working correctly, and to the standard that AHII requires.

Ive done mapping before (i was 12th once for a PC gameruk compo), but these are generally small FPS maps. Not 256mile terrains.

i got some general ideas on paper that id like to make, but im at a loss on how to create BMP's and DEM's for importing into TE..  and thats BEFORE i even get into field/strat placement.

im also struggling to fit my idea into a 256 map
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37