Author Topic: AMD's 4x4  (Read 1961 times)

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
AMD's 4x4
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2006, 10:00:05 PM »
I know, like I said haven't had much spare time because of Mum being in hospital.
Haven't even been in-game for close to 2 weeks.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
AMD's 4x4
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2006, 11:14:07 PM »
Let me spare you the time of futile searching, then:

Intel does not sell it's processors to the public at a loss. The public actually pays a premium on their processors. The companies that pay the lowest margin are the Dells, HPs, Apples and such. We're still making money on them, but not the same margin we make off of processor sales to the public. Though, the % of our proffit that is made by these three is substantial.

And don't get hung up on % of increase or decrease in proffit kev. It's a fool's trap... especially when one company is hovering around breaking even. AMD going from 17 million in proffit to 100 million looks like a huge leap in terms of %, but it's just noise. Intel's proffit margin is dropping, as will AMDs (this quarter). AMD's % proffit will also drop significantly after aquisition costs of ATI kick in and have driven them to delay the startup of a new manufacturing fab in NY.

AMD has no room for dropping revenue right now. Intel does. Intel also has plenty of room to lower the proffit margin on their processors, as they are accounting for most of Intel's revenue right now.

There is no other product sold at Intel that comes close to generating enough revenue to enable Intel to sell processors at a loss. No company subsidises their main product with lesser products... that's not the way it works. The main product subsidises lesser products.  Right now, proffits from chip sales pay for an $800 million loss on other ventures such as communications and Wi-Fi projects.

The only company I know of that has subsidised it's processor sales in the last decade has actually been AMD who had a quarter where all of their proffits were a result of flash memory sales and the processor division actually lost money.

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
AMD's 4x4
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2006, 09:39:49 AM »
intel: 4 fantastic new cores

vs

Amd: 4 average old cores

Intel won EVERY test by 15-40%.

AMD are loosing it very very bad here.... Not to mention 65nm cores was released this week.... do we have reviews? do we see any samples around? nope, none....nothing...

sure, AMD have HT bus so cores are not limited by FSB.... and sure they have on-board memory controller, but they just don't do enough work per cycle compared to Intel, and that's going to take a few YEARS to fix... and AMD don't have money for R&D.

I'm a AMD fan, been that way since 1997, but if the company is still selling top end CPU's in the next 5 years i will be VERY surprised. Lets just hope they don't drag ATI down with them.

But then maybe they already have? Nvidia released new product lines, yet we've heard nothing from ATI.:o
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 09:44:04 AM by Overlag »
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
AMD's 4x4
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2006, 10:23:29 AM »
And just days after AMD announced they are ready to start 65nm production, Intel announces they are testing 32nm process.

ATI is going to be very hurt from the acquisition as the company pretty much has to be frozen while AMD ungulfs it.  ATI will probably be out of the high end video card business after this.  Look for them to get more focused on the mobile and onboard chip business.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
AMD's 4x4
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2006, 01:26:30 PM »
omg! 32nm?? DAMN I thought 62 was pushing the physical limits!

Or have they started using that new technology where the switch is only 3 molecules wide? I remember reading about that 5+ years ago, but never heard if anybody implemented it...

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
AMD's 4x4
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2006, 06:41:38 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
omg! 32nm?? DAMN I thought 62 was pushing the physical limits!

Or have they started using that new technology where the switch is only 3 molecules wide? I remember reading about that 5+ years ago, but never heard if anybody implemented it...

i think intel have working 11nm process (for memory cells, and testing.... but not for cpus)

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
AMD's 4x4
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2006, 09:57:55 PM »
If we can make 11 nm on memory, it should be easier on CPUs. They are not as dense as memory.

I don't recall the 32nm process being the next on the agenda Skuzzy... I thought it was the 45nm process. I do believe that it's been published that the folks at D1D (in Hillsboro) are trying to get some CPUs out for testing as soon as possible on the 45nm process with metal gate transistors and hi-k gate isolation. I honestly don't know how that's going, though. D1D should be able to do it since they're about as hard core as it gets on the manufacturing development side of things. The 65nm core2duos are being moved out of hillsboro to the super high volume stuff in NM and AZ.

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
AMD's 4x4
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2006, 04:02:10 AM »
Originally posted by Mini D
If we can make 11 nm on memory, it should be easier on CPUs. They are not as dense as memory.

I don't recall the 32nm process being the next on the agenda Skuzzy... I thought it was the 45nm process. I do believe that it's been published that the folks at D1D (in Hillsboro) are trying to get some CPUs out for testing as soon as possible on the 45nm process with metal gate transistors and hi-k gate isolation. I honestly don't know how that's going, though. D1D should be able to do it since they're about as hard core as it gets on the manufacturing development side of things. The 65nm core2duos are being moved out of hillsboro to the super high volume stuff in NM and AZ.

oh, maybe it was wrong i sure i read one company had "working" 11nm gates.

but then making 1 gate vs making 400million? :eek:

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
AMD's 4x4
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2006, 10:25:06 AM »
MiniD, it was in a press release from Intel. 45nm is next, but they claimed to have some in-house 32nm working.

If you do not know about it, then I wonder if it was one of those *theoretical* press releases someone made up.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
AMD's 4x4
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2006, 10:46:16 PM »
I'm sure we've made some 32nm gates as well as some 11nm gates. I seriously doubt we've made 400 million of them on any one chip.

If you look back over the last 5 years, you'll see that we show pictures of working gates about 3 years before the process is released. Given that it takes about 18 months to develop a process, you can summize that the pictures are not necessarily indicative of things to come.

45nm is the next sure thing. That should be the 1266/68 stuff. The 1270 stuff is so far off I wouldn't pay much attention to it.

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
AMD's 4x4
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2006, 11:05:41 AM »
Sorry taken so long, but things are hectic ( Mum might be getting out of hospital this week).

Haven't managed to dig out that article again, so I'll have to go with what you posted.

Quick question -
Looking at getting E6600 just after Christmas, maybe before (not much time).
Recommendation for mobo / mem?

[edit] mobo must have 2 PCI slots - one Dell RAID card and one for sound card.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 11:09:23 AM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory