Author Topic: Help with Alt and Speed plz  (Read 523 times)

Offline The_Marine

• Zinc Member
Help with Alt and Speed plz
« on: November 02, 2006, 06:55:56 PM »
Ok, Im having trouble with 2 things, I just started 3 days ago (already got like 8 kills on H2H, I tried this b4 I had a joystick and ran my trial out, eing unable to fly, which sucked, so yea) Ok, so I cant get up to Altitude in bombers, cuz they wanna stall. and Im having trouble getting up to a decent speed to maneuver in the fighters, whenever I try to turn they go into an uncontrollable roll and I get introduced to Mr. Deck :D I have a feeling he doesnt like me tho cuz he kills me everytime :cry

PLZ HELP

Offline jedi25

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 09:04:25 PM »
Try mapping your joystick 1st...

Find HELP section on this website and see how to setup and calibrate your stick.

If this does help, you can always search the forum for issues with what ever brand of joystick you are using...

Offline The_Marine

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 09:08:06 PM »
Its already calibrated, and mapped, although I think I should change my mapping =/ ive got 7 programmable buttons (excluding the trigger) and an 8 way hat switch. Thnx anyway though :)

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 10:36:15 PM »
You need energy to maneuver, too little E and you can find Mr Deck pretty quickly.
Remember these are WW2 planes and take some time to build up that E and when you have it you want to use it wisely and conserve it.
Don't try to climb to much to fast or you will stall. If you hear a loud buzzing noise that is the stall horn. The louder it gets the closer you are to stalling.
You should relax or lessen the Gs of the maneuver you are doing to prevent the stall.
One setting you should turn off is the stall limiter found in Options>Preferences>Flight. It will be different at first and possibly more difficult to control your plane but if it is on it handicaps your performance.
On getting bombers to climb, the first thing maybe use less fuel. For most maps 25% is enough and usually 50% is plenty; 100% is way to much fuel. Again fly level for a while after takeoff and above the trees and obstacles. Once you have some maneuvering speed built up then start a gentle climb. Remember being bombers they do climb much slower than fighters with a rate of climb under 1000feet/minute. Also bombers start with two notches of flaps in the down position. While that adds lift and reduces stall speed it also adds drag. When you level the bomber out to gain speed, as you gain speed make sure you raise the flaps a notch at a time until they are full up.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 10:43:47 PM »
Make sure you calibrate every time you start the game. For the joystick can become uncalibrated every session and sometimes during sessions.
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline The_Marine

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 11:05:19 PM »
K thnx, for the tips, Ill def. read up on buildong up E and using it wisely (on the trainer corps site thing) and thnx bout the bombers too, even tho I figured those out last time I was on. and yea, its MUCH harder wthout stall limiter, but im adjusting.Thnx guys, and Ill remember to calibrate every game session (hm, thats problly why my plane seemed to constantly want to roll to the left really slow)

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Re: Help with Alt and Speed plz
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 05:45:43 AM »
Originally posted by The_Marine
Ok, Im having trouble with 2 things, I just started 3 days ago (already got like 8 kills on H2H, I tried this b4 I had a joystick and ran my trial out, eing unable to fly, which sucked, so yea) Ok, so I cant get up to Altitude in bombers, cuz they wanna stall. and Im having trouble getting up to a decent speed to maneuver in the fighters, whenever I try to turn they go into an uncontrollable roll and I get introduced to Mr. Deck :D I have a feeling he doesnt like me tho cuz he kills me everytime :cry

PLZ HELP

Hello Marine!

First thing, make sure your stick is calibrated in Windows.

After that, in game, calibrate it as well. You need to recalibrate every time you change anything that has to do with an Analog Input or one of your Joysticks axis. Some sticks need cablibrating often (for "no reason") - if you feel your inputs are not smooth and regular (ie a little movement on the roll makes you spin out), then chances are high your stick lost calibration.

If you want to check calibration of an axis, you can go in the Map Controller Menu, select the axis and click the ADVANCED box... now you get a popup window with two blue lines (raw and scaled)... moving the axis, those two should move smoothly, with a little time delay if you scaled. Should the lines be moving without you touching your stick, it is spiking and you need to add some deadband.

Getting bombers to altitude:

Reduce fuel load! Even in the Main arenas with their fuel burn rate of 2.0 (you can check that on your clipboard, in the E6B) 25% fuel will get you a long long way. I hazard that in most H2H servers you can fly 5 times across map and back at least with 25% fuel load.
Take off slowly, and level off to gain speed as soon as you cleared any trees and hills. Once you got some speed up (above 150 mph at least) and your drones have formed up, hit ALT_X for Autopilot Speed (full throttle thats autoclimb - the autopilot keeps your plane at a preset speed by changing the pitch, if you go full boost, that results in climb, throttle idle its a good way to loose altitude in a controlled way). Keep in mind though that bombers are very heavy planes, and despite the (mostly) 4 engines, their climb rate will not match those of fighters. Give it time :).

Pretty much the same applies for fighters. As has already been mentioned, you need "Energy" to maneuver - E is a function of speed and altitude. Those two are interchangable... you can trade altitude for speed by diving. In other words: before going in a fight, get some speed (or altitude) to work with.
When the fight is low and slow, it might be enough to get off the runway, level off (X) and get your plane to its maximum speed in level flight. But always better is climbing a little bit (ALT_X) before joining the fray, then nose low a little to gain maneuvering speed.

Check out http://trainers.hitechcreations.com for more info on basic flight physics, Energy, menuevers, tactics and a lot more. :)
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 05:51:24 AM »
Originally posted by The_Marine
(hm, thats problly why my plane seemed to constantly want to roll to the left really slow)

No. Thats engine torque and propwash effects. Basically, the plane trying to "spin" around the propellor. (some planes pull to the right, due to opposing prop spin direction).

The slower you are, the more noticable those effects are. Its the reason why your plane always pulls to one side on takeoff - for obvious reasons, it cant roll when wheels down. When you are flying and plane is stabilised with speed, its less noticable, but still there.

The P38 does not have this effect, as its props are counter rotating and when both are running at same MP/rpm, they negate each others torque.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline The_Marine

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 10:05:39 AM »
I already read the stuff on E and trading kinetic for potential and vice versa, and I tried it HSH and had a bit more luck, still got killed alot though. And about the torque, I knew that, I just wasnt thinking at the moment. bombers Im doin ok with, Last night I did a bombing run on an airfield and blew up like three hangers, destroyed the runway and killed the guy taking off(I wasnt lined up with the runaway, but as I crossed it I dropped about 3 bombs per plane). Thanks for the help guys  :)

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 11:01:10 AM »
Adding a minor detail, it does not really destroy the runway if you bomb it.
You will get kills if you happen to bomb someone taking off but you can't shut down a field by bombing the runways. To do that you need to destroy all the hangers.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline The_Marine

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 12:16:09 PM »
I know, still looks cool though :)