Author Topic: Horrible Hard-Drive Lag / Choppiness  (Read 591 times)

Offline BotaBing

• Copper Member
Horrible Hard-Drive Lag / Choppiness
« on: July 18, 2000, 03:57:00 PM »
When I play this game, assuming that I have no applications (that I know about) running in the background, and that I've just had a fresh reboot, it only takes a few hours before the same thing happens every time.

After a few hours, I start to get massive hard-drive lag and choppiness. The choppiness goes hand-in-hand with constant repetitive accessing of the hard-drive. It makes gameplay impossible, the only way I've found to fix it is to reboot.

I have a Dell PentiumII 350, with 128mb ram, a 16mb TnT 3d card, a turtle beach sound card, and a 19 inch monitor. I don't have any significant problems with the computer other than when I play this game.

Sometimes I notice the problem when there are multiple cons in the area, other times noone is around as far as I can tell.

The only hardware issue I can think of is that I have played a lot of games over the past 3 years, installed and uninstalled over and over, and I've logged a LOT of hours on these games.

Any ideas?

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2000, 04:52:00 PM »
Hi Botabing,
What version of Windows are you running? Doesn't W98 have a "Fast find" utility. (Correct me if I'm wrong). I've heard this can cause all sorts of disk access problems/stutters/slowdowns when gaming. If this is you disable it.

Hope this helps

TTFN
snafu

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2000, 05:16:00 PM »
The FastFind utility is installed by Microsoft Office, and it's a good idea indeed to remove it to avoid exactly this problem. Look in your Windows Startup menu. C:\Windows\Start\Startup or something like that, can't say the exact path, mine isn't in English.  

Of course you could just right-click on the item in the Start menu itself, and delete it.

------------------
DrSoya
308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF [AH]
315 (Polish) Squadron "City of Deblin" RAF [WB]
Part of the Northolt Wing (First Polish Fighter Wing)

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2000, 06:36:00 PM »
That is what is happening Botabing, it is findfast

Right click on start then explore.
Click on programs then startup

Delete the icon for fast find.

Problem solved  

MarkAT
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2000, 09:51:00 PM »
If you don't end up having fastfind on your system here are a few more things to try.  First of all, defragment your HD.  (If you have never done it before it will likely take several hours.)  It's a good idea to defrag every couple months.  You might also try running a scandisk to see if your hard drive has errors and/or bad sectors.  The last thing to try is to make sure you have at least 300 Megs or so of free space left on your HD.

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS