Author Topic: sigh... "nose bounce"  (Read 862 times)

Offline mosca

• Copper Member
sigh... "nose bounce"
« on: October 30, 2001, 07:27:00 PM »
This is my third try at AH. I promise I will be a good adition to the community.

Each time I try AH, I am defeated by "nose bounce". JS=MSSWFF2. I have tried "Stickworks".

I am reasonably clueless as to the effects of different scaling patterns.

Is there a FAQ for setting up the Microsoft Sidewinder FF2 stick in AH? Does anyone have a file that I can load that will keep my planes from flying like a hanging mobile? I know it takes time to get good, but if my plane is bouncing all over the sky like a child's toy, I'll never care enough to learn.

Thanks for any help you AH friends might be able to give. I'm going to look for new stick drivers now.

Tom Brenholts
ACCSMosca

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: mosca ]

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: mosca ]

Offline FDisk

• Copper Member
sigh... "nose bounce"
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2001, 11:02:00 PM »
Dude, I've run a SW2 non FFB for a long time now with no problems... Is yours USB?

Offline CobraEye

• Zinc Member
      • http://N/A
sigh... "nose bounce"
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2001, 11:19:00 AM »
<Salute>

If you are reffering to the way the aircrafts nose jumps all over the place (esp at low speeds) with very little control input, then you and I are having the same problem.  I use the MSSW2 non force feedback.  I had to tame the stick WAY i mean WAY down with the slider bars and then catch up in the last 30%.  It looks much like a logrithmic curve.  Its still quite touchy and I seem to stall the elevator very easy, but so far its the best solution I have come up with.  Dont worry so much about your roll axis as your pitch and yaw.  If you find a good solution for taming down these MS sticks please let me know.

CobraEye

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
sigh... "nose bounce"
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2001, 11:36:00 AM »
Heyas

I used to use an MS Ppro non FF, and found the stick VERY sensitive and ran into the same issue.  What I did was to set up a curve that was similar to a log curve.

Also pay attention to your deadbands, keep them as low as you can or they might compound the problem.

I have recently changed to a Saitek Cyborg 3d and found nose bounce is no longer an issue.  In fact I can set my scaling sliders almost to 100% across the board.

SKurj

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
sigh... "nose bounce"
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2001, 01:04:00 PM »
i used to get alot of nosebounce when i was a newbie, but that was just because i was inducing pio. now i dont get nose bounce anymore. its just you get a feel for the stick. ps many pilots get nose bounce when ythey are learning to fly for real too.

in il2 i was getting a lot of lateral oscillation when using rudder. this is funny bewcause when i was first flying gliders IRL i was getting terrible lateral oscillation when i was trying to fly.. i was always chasing the nose with my feet and making the plane slop back and forth.. its just your brain has to get used to the whole lead/lag concept of control  :)

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
sigh... "nose bounce"
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2001, 01:24:00 PM »
I've got a MS SWFF2 USB stick myself, I like it, but I had the same problem. I agree with others here it takes some getting used to, but you can start to make a difference by tuning your sliders. I don't think there is an exact right or wrong config, it's mostly personal preference. Just turn them down until you get the least amount of bounce but can still maintain good control in a fight.

Good Luck

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
sigh... "nose bounce"
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2001, 01:28:00 PM »
I fought a nose bounce when I fired or made small adjustments to my aim alot when I started and now that I have switched sticks.

I have on our old webpage a small help section for setting the sliders up.  http://www.reddragons.de/aceshigh/tactical.htm  

The other thing to remember is trim before the shot.  Combat Trim will get you close but if you manually trim it just a tad I have found that this smooths things out for me.

S!
Rocket

Offline mosca

• Copper Member
sigh... "nose bounce"
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2001, 05:24:00 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. My biggest problem is my 60 hour work week, which leaves little time for the steep learning curve of AH. Last night I experimented with the scaling the stick waaaaaay back, and it seemed to help, yes more in the pitch & yaw & rudder than in the roll, which in AH is pretty good around a fixed point anyhow. I have more work to do on it. The off line drones don't start evading like you guys do when I'm saddling up on 6!

My stick IS USB, btw; if this doesn't work out, I'll try it through the gameport.

Online Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
sigh... "nose bounce"
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2001, 07:32:00 AM »
Mosca! <S>
  Don't sweat it bud. The nose bounce is mostly you getting used to an entirely new flight model.  It's a pain getting used to but you will.  Tune your sliders and experiment, you can tone it down significantly but in the end, your still eventually gonna get used to being a little less heavy handed with the stick.  I've only been full time in AH for a year or so but I've long since forgotten about stick nose bounce.

Tumor
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline mosca

• Copper Member
sigh... "nose bounce"
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2001, 05:50:00 PM »
Thanks, I've found that by setting all the sliders to about 50%, decreasing the deadband and increasing the damping, I can get the planes to go pretty close to where I think I want them to!

Mosca