Author Topic: Stutters / hesitaions /Screen Freeze  (Read 596 times)

Offline sprint

• Copper Member
Stutters / hesitaions /Screen Freeze
« on: September 06, 2001, 11:02:00 PM »
I am copying this from an earlier post I read on the AH board .. it worked for me and it worked for others. So if your having little problems give this a try untill DX 8.1 comes out.

www.gamevoiceclub.com/Download/dxapplet.zip  

"Microsoft left debug mode on in 8 and 8a for Direct sound. That is eating up cpu cycles
from hell having that on, not to mention software/hardware conflicts that can create. Well I hope this helps some people. This
will cure many alements.

Extract to Windows/System then go to Control Panel click on the Dx applet go to the Direct sound tab and slide the debug slider all the way to the left <<<<< to disable debug mode. It will work w/ 8.1 but I believe debug is off w/ that version. Microsoft rememberd to check."
---------
There are a number of mechanical devices which increase sexual arousal,
particularly in women. Chief among these is the Mercedes-Benz 380SL convertible.  :D

sprint
*MOL*

[ 09-06-2001: Message edited by: sprint ]

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
Stutters / hesitaions /Screen Freeze
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2001, 02:17:00 PM »
Just a bit more info

DirectX 8.0/8.0a causes more system resources to be used than neccesary during DirectX-based games, and those resources weren't being released correctly after exiting some games.
If you DL this applet mentioned apparently you extract the contents of the archive to C:\Windows\System
Unless you use win2000 then it goes here :\WINNT\SYSTEM32 directory.

Worth a try if you experience any such problems, in fact i wonder if it could be related to the Roger Wilco having to be switched to Wave recording and NOT Directsound to make it work    :)

Another source and DL site is here  http://www.gameclubcentral.com/news/archived_news.asp?Mode=ViewItem&NewsID=490

[ 09-07-2001: Message edited by: 214thCavalier ]