Author Topic: USB Headset?  (Read 663 times)

Offline vmfRazor

• Zinc Member
USB Headset?
« on: October 31, 2001, 08:25:00 PM »
Has anybody got one of these? I am sitting here trying to figure out if they are any good? Do they work with RW? Do I understand right that they are independent of the soundcard?

RazorDD

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
USB Headset?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2001, 08:39:00 PM »
I don't have one, but I used a set once when I visited my brother.  He had a plantronics usb headset and it worked perfectly with RW.  It doesn't use the soundcard at all.  I considered buying a pair, but they were way more expensive than regular headphones.  Not worth the extra expense IMO and I'm not sure if they cause extra load on the CPU.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
USB Headset?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2001, 09:25:00 PM »
They may or may not use cpu cycles I'm not sure, BUT, every usb device you use on your system,  takes an equal share of the sampling rate.

Mebbe one of the techies can explain better

SKurj

Offline air_guard

• Nickel Member
USB Headset?
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2001, 02:52:00 AM »
try out the microsoft sidwinder gamvoice set, ive been using that for 6 months now and the headset is still not broken  :)
+ u get more stuff than just the headset lots of options.
 http://www.microsoft.com/products/hardware/sidewinder/devices/GV/default.asp

airguard

Offline vmfRazor

• Zinc Member
USB Headset?
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2001, 06:06:00 PM »
the reason I ask is because this OB Sound card doesn't push enough volume to my headset. Whether I plug the headset directly into the soundcard or through my Gamevoice. I can't hardly hear anything. Barely hear the others on RW and definately can't hear the engine noises. Speakers are fine of course they have thier own amplifier tho. I was thinking about spending 40 bucks on one of those as oppsed to a whole new SC. And ending up with the same problems I have with the PCI512. "ALL" my volume controls are set at max but still can't hear a damn thing in the headphones.   :mad:

Razor

Offline SC-Mutt

• Zinc Member
      • http://skeletoncrew.ww1sims.com/home
USB Headset?
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2001, 05:35:00 AM »
Simple fix is to go to Radio Shack and get a couple of 1/8" to 1/4" Stereo adapter plugs, and a 2 or 3 foot long 1/8" stereo extention cable and plug one end into your Soundcard's Line/Spkr output, and the other end to a Line-INput on yer stereo system, Tape deck, etc.

Then, plug yer headset's plug into the female end of the 1/8" female to 1/4" male stereo HP adapter. Plug that into the amp of your choice's HP jack, and get ready to lose yer mind if ya ferget to turn it DOWN 1st! LOL!

Whole setup w/ a couple a spares for other adapter projects, will run ya less than $10 American I s'pose.

Even if you dont own a world rocker Stereo main amp, Running from PC out to REC/Line in on a standard cassette recorder will give ya up to 20 watts boost w/a volume control.

Good luck;

Have fun, or else!