Author Topic: Stick a Fork in Me!  (Read 5451 times)

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
Stick a Fork in Me!
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2000, 03:16:00 AM »
Been having a blast myself, hard to believe it's the same sim we were playing in beta.

I don't plan on going anywhere for quite a long time.

------------------
Fatty
Fat Drunk Bastards
"I ain't givin none of you bastards a hug who ain't bought me at least 6 beers."

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Stick a Fork in Me!
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2000, 03:20:00 AM »
Weaz,
Being a Dweeb myself (In the sense of Being NON experienced) I prolly die much more often than all of you.... I die in 2 ways : By meeting a superior opponent (<S!> ) and By a vulch Cannon that closes his eyes & sprays 800 rounds at me from D20...

As I will scream my agony when I meet the former (<S!> again), I barely show interrest in the later... Hey, as Heater says : "toejam happens...". I replane & try to avoid the Chickens O' the Sea as much as I can...

Conscerning A1, Well, I think this is probably a mistake that was done (If you do not try things, you will never know...) That will be resolved (IMHO) when Terrain editor comes out.

Lets not forget that (A)this sim is a long way from it's full potential and (B) HTC are only humans and are also susceptible to some glitches ('part from Ronni).

Reconsider...

Your Squaddie,

Saw

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 05-13-2000).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
Stick a Fork in Me!
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2000, 04:29:00 AM »
okay, sorry  
ingame: Raz

Offline SC-GreyBeard

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.picknowl.com.au/homepages/oneshot/main.htm
Stick a Fork in Me!
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2000, 04:31:00 AM »
Some times I just can't believe some of you people.

Since the early beta, I've seen post after post asking for this feature or that feature, or for this "thing" or that "thing". All or most all have lead to making this more and more like that other game. Now yer getting it for the most part, and yer complaining?????

Jeesh...

How long has this been out?? what 7 months??

The terrain editor is undergoing alpha testing as we type. Terrains will get better.

More planes are on the way. More features are on the way, better gfx etc.

HTC is busting their collective behinds giving us for the most part what we, the customers have asked for. And the BEST part is it's all been fairly rapidly, and with a LOT of communication from both sides. (their's and ours), which from my experience is a super major plus.

Like any other new toy, burnout happens.
I'm going through it also. But to fault the game itself, or the people in it, or the people behind the game is wrong. (not that anyone did, BTW).

------------------
GreyBeard, Squadron Leader
Commander, "E" Flight, Aces High
Senior Staff Council
"The Skeleton Crew"
"Fly with Honor"[/i]
"Keepin' the Faith"

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Stick a Fork in Me!
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2000, 04:42:00 AM »
Man, what squad you in??? I need those titles, and many more!

I see General Major, Lt. Important 1st Lt. BigNuts Creamo, Squadron Leader
Commander, "E" Flight, Aces High
Senior Staff Council in my AH future.

Screw Fatty and a icecream sandwhich incentive for showing up on squad night.

I'm just Latrine Scrubber....but we'll see.

Do you guys wear helmets? That'd be cool.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
Stick a Fork in Me!
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2000, 05:08:00 AM »
I think the problem lies within everyones own personal mindset.

for me once I accepted the fact that although I'm pretty damn good most days some days I just stink and will die repeatedly.

after coming to this realization I decided I have nothing to prove to myself or anyone else. Decided to stop flying with a me first and I must survive at all costs attitude. I traded it in for the most dangerous missions and flying style I could think of...

Jaboing the deadly super acks. I never knew how much fun it is till i sat on a hill in a c47 and watched Fatty who is the Rudel of Aces High take out a whole airfields ack in an f4u1c.

Then there is the satisfaction of "hero" flying.   basically throwing caution to the wind and diving in on 15 enemy aircraft on your wingmans tail and getting them all to follow you allowing your wingman to escape   I'm getting good at this one... nothing makes 3 to 15 cons lick their chops when chasing a p51 like a big ole p-38 come swooping in and park right in front of them then lazily turn to evade the hail of gunfire they all be sprayin  

then theres the strat missions where you get 3 b17s and go nail the rooks city down to 0% then get a 5 b17 raid and go knock out their radar for 4 hours and after you done hitting dar you take your 1 b17 that didt drop and knock out the acks at the flak factory and spin down in b17s from 20k and straff it. fun fun fun  

it's all how you play the game and the mood you are in at the particular moment.

The bigest pitfall and fun killer is getting killed, but just try to make this unpleasant part happen for a worthy cause because its gonna happen and happen a lot no matter how good you get.

or you could just fly the 109g10 and orbit the sun at 30k with Hristo and never get killed, but where's the fun in that?  
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Stick a Fork in Me!
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2000, 06:14:00 AM »
Sorry to hear your burned out Weazel, take a break and it will get better. Definitely been there and done that  

But A1 ? Guys go back and read some of the threads about the beta terrain. We the players asked for "a central base where the volcano is, that has an alt advantage and is really hard to take".  It might not be what we thought it would, but we definitely asked for it.

Cannon Hogs? *shrugs* unless you fly base defense in a Spitfire, the -1C is a none issue.

Easy to evade, easy to outrun, easy to outclimb, easy to outturn. All he has is the HO & snapshot, learn to avoid them and they're really good stat boosters.

Just my opinons... Hope to see you back soon Weazel, I'll Miss you.  

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

Offline Fury

• Copper Member
      • http://n/a
Stick a Fork in Me!
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2000, 06:19:00 AM »
Some people like this sim, some people don't like it.  People will come and go.  Nobody forces anyone to play here or in any game, and HTC sure is not able to please everyone all the time.

I'm not just spouting off crap that I don't believe myself.  I recently left FA after over two years of playing there.  Left quietly for personal reasons, and I was very confident of my decision when I did it.  (Even though they did not) People could have talked until they were blue in the face to try to convince me to stay, but a personal choice is very precious and nobody on this planet could have changed my mind.

If AH ever gets to that point, then I will quietly bow out here too.  However, I don't see that happening for a *very* long time, since this type of game is so much more of what I was looking for in fun.

As for A1, I think HTC did it just to see what our reactions were to it.  So far, I find our reactions to be "mild amusement" at best.  As for that blue airplane, I don't care one way or the other.  I don't fly it, and in tour 3 (according to stats):

fury has 0 kills and has been killed 1 time in the B-26B against the Fw 190A-8.

"fury has 0 kills and has been killed 2 times in the B-17G against the P-51D."

"fury has 1 kill and has been killed 2 times in the B-17G against the Spitfire Mk IX."

"fury has 0 kills and has been killed 2 times in the B-17G against the P-38L."

"fury has 0 kills and has been killed 1 time in the B-17G against the B-26B."

Bomber stats: 56 sorties for 56098 seconds.

The B26 has shot me down more than any F4U variant.  So I abstain from voting.  I'm not sure how I never seem to see any F4Us on my bomber (I never fly above 22k) and rarely fly below 14k).

Fury

Offline Dnil

• Silver Member
Stick a Fork in Me!
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2000, 08:22:00 AM »
This dont let the door hit ya on the way out attitude sucks and is quite dangerous.  I doubt HT is making money yet, so each player is needed.  Start gettin a holier then thou attitude and the doors shut mighty quick.  Remember there aint much buzz about this game.  But there is about another one.  I know of quite a few people who are just here until something else comes along.  For me I guess the honeymoon truly is over.

------------------
Dnil
JG-2
Part time aircraft restorer. www.kingwoodcable.com/jheuer

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
Stick a Fork in Me!
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2000, 08:43:00 AM »
   Well...flying warbirds, Dawn of aces and Aces High I have often felt like you do. But I love flight sims and the above 3 have no equals as of yet. So I know I am not going to just up and quit. Basicly, It sounds like its time to get outside and smell the roses  

-lazs-

Stick a Fork in Me!
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2000, 08:57:00 AM »
I don't blame you weazle.   The overmodeled LW planes are ruining the game.   It must be hard to like a plane so much and realize that it is so overmodeled that you victories are trivialized.  
lazs

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Stick a Fork in Me!
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2000, 09:56:00 AM »

Originally posted by Dnil:
This dont let the door hit ya on the way out attitude sucks and is quite dangerous.  I doubt HT is making money yet, so each player is needed.  Start gettin a holier then thou attitude and the doors shut mighty quick.  Remember there aint much buzz about this game.  But there is about another one.  

I dont think anyone here is taking a high and mighty approach here, Dnil.  As a matter of fact, I think there is more of a sympathetic attitude towards these pilots dissatisfaction with the current AH environment.  I've seen more posts saying, "hey <fill in the name>, take a break and come back fresh" then I've seen in this thread saying, "hey <fill in name>, cyas, dont let the door hit ya in the ass".

I'm in the mindset, take a break, drive a tank, see how many goon runs you can run in a day, sit in the tower and chat with friends if you are getting sick of the fragfest.  There are many days where I get so frustrated I am about to scream, but a nice change of pace suits me wonderfully.

Now about that other sim which has been apparently getting quite a buzz, I havent seen anything yet except a bunch of screenshots and avi's.  Sure the closed beta is coming up with a subsequent open beta.  In other words it aint here yet and I have a nasty feeling that all this hooplah is setting many folks up for disappointment.  AH on the other hand is here now and having been here since Day 1, I have seen how far HTC has come in 7 or 8 months.  They havent slowed down either and things are only going to get better.

If the other sim does turn out to be the end all be all, no one is saying we have to stay here and I will be one of the first to depart since WWII sims is my hobby.  But for the time being, I will be here enjoying the many current aspects of AH and not even thinking about that other sim.

-Ding

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
Stick a Fork in Me!
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2000, 10:15:00 AM »
We as a on-line sim community have the right to ask for updates, fixes, new stuff.  One must not forget that the beings creating this sim are only human.  I believe they have done one hell of a job so far!

I never played WB on-line so I am not so-called "burned-out" on what people are calling the "same ole thing".  I'm still new to this on-line sim stuff. So my observations will, of course, be different.

I've seen some incredible pilots post here that are basically not having fun anymore.  To them I say, please, of the sake of the rest of us, hold on.  Enjoy what is here and get set for the future updates.  You pilots are too important to lose.  You have been around flight sims for a long time and many others, like myself, listen when ya talk.

I believe, FWIW, that this simulation has come a long way in a short amount of time.  Am I wrong?  HT and his crew have done their best to answer our request, complaints, questions, whatever we throw at them.  They seem to care about their creation and the people that fly in the sim.

Sure I have a slight problem with the cannon hog. I've flown it once in the main and landed with two long distance 1-2 ping kills! I got torn apart by it a few times, but I have also shot it down a few times too.  Overcomming the advantage that it has is a true pleasure.  

The other day I ripped apart a F4U-C1 at 1.2 to 800 that was attacking my B-17.  This distinguished F4U pilot never got a ping on me. He must of been thinking that the B-17's 50 cal are overmodelled!!      Last night my B-17 was torn apart by a cannon hog, but I got him first!!    

So it is not totally OTL.

Please bear through the some of these rough times.  Remember that there is always a little bit of pain with the pleasure!!    

I would truely hate to see anyone leave this sim because of one little area within the sim.  

Settle down, take a deep breath, grab a B26 and bomb the toejam out of some city's church!  It will make ya feel better!    

PS.  I do go to church, that was just a joke!

------------------
Swager
I/JG2~Richthofen~
"Damn.....I can't believe I missed that shot!!!"

JG2 "Richthofen"

[This message has been edited by Swager (edited 05-13-2000).]
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
Stick a Fork in Me!
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2000, 11:00:00 AM »
Weaz;

Just take a break.  

I did it, really helps to put the fun back in it.

On my break from AH my love for golf re-surfaced.  I also played an on-line game called Nox, which is a total gas.

Good Luck, Hope to see you up so I can maybe shoot you down!  

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Stick a Fork in Me!
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2000, 11:02:00 AM »
It was a JOKE?!?

Damn, thought I had a possible recruit.

I don't go to church, except with my 109 and a bomb  

------------------
StSanta