Author Topic: Pyro, could you conduct a poll?  (Read 939 times)

kiljoy

Pyro, could you conduct a poll?
« on: July 24, 2000, 10:35:00 AM »
I don't think half the flying pigs have all the features running for AH including RW.  

I still get crashes and haven't found the reason why.

The real upstart is a lot of frustration.  I hear squad members and others talk about being bored every time I log on.  I think the reason they are bored is that we are just doing the basic flight sim stuff, instead of missions, stategic and fun stuff.  The reason seems to be that no-one can depend on their system long enough to plan anything.  

This version seems sketchy.  Why not set up a survey page and email all AH users to see what is working and what isn't and the nature of their problems?

I, for one want to know if I'm the exception or the norm.  

[This message has been edited by kiljoy (edited 07-24-2000).]

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2000, 12:53:00 PM »
AFAIK, you are the exeption KillJoy.

Everything works fine for me.  I don't use RW much mostly because my wife gets pissed when she hears me talking "to myself" in my office while playing.  

As far as crash bugs go, I've only had them when there was new versions that had slight issues and those were generally fixed within a day or two.

I really don't think there is a need for anything like that.  HTC is on top of things.

However, if you are having crash problems, there is likely some source for the problems.  Post your system details and issues and I may be able to help.

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

"My P-47 is a pretty good ship, she took a round coming 'cross the Channel last trip.
Just thinking 'bout my baby and lettin' her rip, always got me through so far."
 - Steve Earl

Offline troxel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2000, 10:51:00 PM »
I agree Lephturn.  AH is pretty stable on my end.  I get the occasional disconnect from time to time (maybe once a week or two), but that is the nature of internet gaming  

------------------

"....where'd who go!"

Troxel
VMFA-212 "Lancers"

[This message has been edited by troxel (edited 07-24-2000).]

kiljoy

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2000, 12:52:00 PM »
Alas, I must accept my fate.  

I fear I have to peer into my registry to find what is screwed up in the video drivers.  Any suggestions?

AH quites 1 hour into a session.  I can't find any heat problems. (monitoring video card cpu MB)

Thanks

Offline wolf37

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2000, 02:33:00 PM »
HI:

Don't know ifd this will help or not. i was having some trouble with crashing in the last week or so. i ran my Norton disk doctor and found i had some how lost a couple of bat files or some kind of files. but they where gone, just packed their bags and left to never never land i guess. well running the Norton disk doctor it let me know what piss ant files flew the coop and i was able to go into my win 98 disk and find the file's and replace them. so far the game is running better. now like i said, don't know if this will help you, but it is worth a try.
hope you get things worked out.

wolf37
C.O.
THUNDER BIRDS

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2000, 04:35:00 PM »
Kiljoy, have you seen this thread?
 http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/Smileys/default/Forum10/HTML/000294.html

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

kiljoy

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2000, 02:24:00 PM »
Looked at the thread and said, "Oh crap" or words to that effect.  "Who wants to go into all of that."

Well I went into the bios and set the irg's and viola! flew for 2 hours with no probs.   In fact whole system is better.  

Does it really have to be this hard to get a system working?  I have no legacy equipment and all name stuff.  Windows should be mature enough to not fall on its knees over something like this.

Thanks PYRO, your wisdom and vison rool.

Offline air_guard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2000, 03:14:00 PM »
I really wonder why all that stuff is necesarry here when everything else goes fine.
Like Fighter ace and cfs-quake areana-unreal-and every other stuff i do with my puter.
for not saying all the other games i do offline lol.
This looks more like a connetion prob for me i guess since the lockups are so unstable and so unpredictable. days on without nothing and other with 5 lockups in one single day it really pisses me off.
and for the version before the patch i had a few but that was pure conn disconns  and 2 that i did on purpuse cased by my wife wanting me off the puter.
soooooo what now ?

airguard

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2000, 03:43:00 PM »
My problems with lost sound and lockups started with 1.03.  AH was stable as a rock on my system before that.  No system settings were changed (by me) when I installed 1.03.  There's something else going on here.

popeye
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2000, 02:51:00 AM »
popeye..

Same here,my system has run stable since day 1 open beta,as soon as v1.03 was released i started getting lockup. I had my Hercules TNT card O/C and had the latest drivers. After playing with the card & drivers for 4 weeks i went back to default settings on the card & went back 3 versions on the drivers,so far no lockups.

Dog out....

kiljoy

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2000, 11:14:00 AM »
My problem was IRQ settings in windows.

Problem is gone now.  

I didn't think we had to worry about IRQ conflicts anymore with the new improved windows.  HAH!  

I'm thinking that a lot of the problems we are finding are linked there.  I had 4 devices trying to use the same IRQ.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2000, 07:41:00 AM »
The problem:

The PCI/USB/AGP specifications do allow for interrupts to be shared in hardware.
BUT, it also requires the software folks who create the drivers for the hardware to allow for interrupt sharing.  If this is not dine, lost interrupts will occur, random lockups will happen, and general reliability will be horrible.

That said; Even when the software/firmware is written correctly to handle the sharing of interrutps, there can still be major problems.
For instance, if your network/modem card and game port card share interrupts, interrupts will get lost due to latency of the OS to handle interrupts.

A system may appear to be running fine when two or more resources are sharing interrupts, but you will be surprised how much better and more stable the system will be when it is not sharing interrupts.

I am glad at least one person got some use out of that information I posted.  Mission accomplished.  

------------------
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
President, AppLink Corp.
http://www.applink.net
skuzzy@applink.net
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2000, 08:22:00 AM »
Guys,

My system was absolutely stable until 1.03, too. By formatting and re-installing everything, I solved all of my problems. So, I know it's a very drastic step, but it can take less time to re-build than it does to troubleshoot.

Btw, using a CD Burner to burn all of your install files and data files  onto a CD helps cut the re-install time down considerably.