Author Topic: A nice movie for you Batfink  (Read 387 times)

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
A nice movie for you Batfink
« on: November 13, 2006, 04:18:35 PM »
2nd movie from the top on Gorgeous George's blog.

Summer 2006 - 22 minutes

There is an absolutely awesome piece of tracking WITHOUT wingsuit at the end.

(One of the jumpers, Adam Gibson, died in september 2006 in Mexico)
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 05:32:09 PM »
that is amazing.

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 05:52:15 PM »
still watching it... wow!

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 06:42:01 PM »
awesome film.  music was nice too, anyone know the artist/group names?
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 07:53:58 PM »
wow thank you for posting. looks like one hell of a story.  the bit where they film down into the valley looking down on a plane reminds me of this cliff we found to jump off into the sea in greece, looking down onto the seabirds. its a funny thing and hard to explain, but it makes me smile whenever i look at something in flight, from above it, whilst still standing on land.

highest i have free fallen from is the cliff i just mention, maybe 60ft into a deep pool. but only enough time for a lazy backflip and no sensation of manipulating the fall.
 the control of the airflow over the body is the most fascinating for me, i have never even done a tandem chute jump. It must be amazing to 'glide' and knowing that just your body is capable of traversing a good distance sideways using gravity alone. my younger brother did his first tandem jump 6 months ago in australia and we both hope to get into freefalling as a hobby, if you had any hints for rookies looking to become part of this lifestyle..? :D
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 08:01:46 PM by B@tfinkV »
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 09:22:34 PM »
Originally posted by Octavius
awesome film.  music was nice too, anyone know the artist/group names?

Could it be Ten Years After?

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 01:43:17 AM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
if you had any hints for rookies looking to become part of this lifestyle..? :D

dont forget to pull the cord

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 06:40:54 AM »
...if you had any hints for rookies looking to become part of this lifestyle..?

This is from a one tandem jump dude:

When I showed up there, I made sure I had another set of trousers packed... just in case... ya kno'...
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 04:01:22 PM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
...we both hope to get into freefalling as a hobby, if you had any hints for rookies looking to become part of this lifestyle..?

My best advice if you really want to skydive is: don't wait. It can be hard for the body and certainly at the beginning (rough landings, spanking openings,...) so it's better to start reasonably young, and fuel prices aren't likely to go down so jump tickets won't neither. Go for it NOW.

If you want to base jump, most agree that 500 skydives are needed. I can't help you much as I don't BASE but my guesstimate is that for even thinking about doing the kind of jumps that you've seen in the vids, 100-200 'regular' BASE jumps, 500 wingsuit skydives and 500 wingsuit BASE jumps are a bare minimum.
That being said, you'll see that BASE will look much less cool and much more serious than it seems when you've got a couple dozens skydives behind you.

If you're sure that you want to go through the training, skip the tandem and spare the money. Go directly to the AFF formation (although some AFF courses have 'working' tandem jumps for level 1 and 2).

Anyway, sign up (free) on http://www.dropzone.com and you'll find a lot of info about freefall and canopy piloting... some of it pretty sobering. Try not to over-educate yourself before actually skydiving though, or your first jump will look much more complicated and frightening than it really is.

Finally, skydiving is not cheap (understatement of the year...) but even with limited funds, if you're dedicated about it, there are numerous ways to earn money/jump tickets at a DZ: packing for others, working at the manifest, cleaning the hall, washing the planes... Be ready to be frowned upon by every bank and to lose all your non-skydiving friends...

Blue Skies to your brother and you, and I'm looking forward to reading your first 'No **** there I was...' story here ;)

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 04:39:13 PM »
deSelys

Did your dad do acid (: I bet he has some great stories about the late 60's..

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 05:28:51 PM »
I like the Ten Years After film, but for some reason jumping from a really high place just doesn't sit right with me, have fun hope the chute opens for all

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 06:07:46 PM »
Originally posted by FX1
deSelys

Did your dad do acid (: I bet he has some great stories about the late 60's..

???wtf??? (my dad doesn't skydive and hasn't touched acid ever... I think...)

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 06:42:02 PM »
Oops, Batfink, I forgot: kudos on the backflip at the 60 ft cliff. That's ballsy! :aok

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 10:44:10 PM »
deS, 2 of my 3 brothers that skydived have had to quit due to physical problems from the years of jumping.  Ironically, the oldest one, and the first to start jumping, is still going strong.

I still think everyone should jump out of a plane at least once in their lives.  I've got six, called it a career after that.

"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 10:29:16 AM »
Originally posted by deSelys
Oops, Batfink, I forgot: kudos on the backflip at the 60 ft cliff. That's ballsy! :aok

hehe thanks, we had to wear sneakers to save the soles of our feet on those jumps, i have a cool photo if i can get my scanner working. and thanks for the advice, i know it will come in handy. i imagine that it would indeed take years if not decades of experience to wingsuit over the tree tops of snow fields, and it is a far off dream.  

has anyone seen a film with kevin costner i think its called Figaro. i imagine my only chance of regular skydiving is to be the guy in that film in the desert :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 10:32:54 AM by B@tfinkV »
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]