Author Topic: scaling stick  (Read 624 times)

Offline whirl

• Zinc Member
scaling stick
« on: September 16, 2001, 07:54:00 PM »
i don't understand why the scaling system you fellas use won't let a person drop below 100% at the end of the scale, without creating a big jump.  iow's i like to scale my stick from 20-60, left to right.  well that all fine until your about 3/4 of the way into the axis, then it jumps.  shouldn't i be able to have 60% at 90?  can't you guys fix this?  i'll never get my stick right in this place. i mean the planes are ridiculously bouncy and no amount of damping or scaling settles the stick input for me.  you guys should just program the stick deflection into the fm. that way at 300knots people can only put so much input in regardless.  anyway, i've tried just about everything.  another thing i've noticed. i can damper it and crank up the deadbands, and in the blue box, the joystick input will slow down dramatically, but then i take off and i still get the touchy input....???  this can't be right, or why have the blue box at all for testing??  or is windows overriding my scaling, in the game, for some reason??  this is a great place and i wish i could get this particular issue settled.

Offline whirl

• Zinc Member
scaling stick
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2001, 07:47:00 AM »
i've also noticed i can't calibrate the xy(+) and xy(-)(these could also be xy quadrant (1,-1) or I and (-1,-1) or IV)axis with this game calibration.  my joystick uses a slider plate and not the traditional isolated x or y axis.  more like the stick sets on a hat type axis where calibrating is more like  points on a plane and not points on a linear axis.  i've no trouble with it in other simulators, nor do i have any trouble in windows.  but i don't xy input(or very, very little.)  iow's i can't turn right and up at the same time---this is a serious problem.. can we get the calibration system for this game overhauled??  more sticks are going to the planar plates instead of traditional x, y isolated axis and there needs to be a way to calibrate them effectively.

another issue is the..  i guess it would be the disparity in connections...  after i maneuver for 6 position, my nose gets real unsteady.  i don't know if its the enemy connection vs my connection(dsl--1.4 meg connect here, virtually no queue delay,) a video issue, or my inability to get a stable calibration(damping the extra bounce.)

actually i've used ctfj3(from stickworks) and, although its not a fix, managed to figure out a workaround for the excessive bounce--it's laborous, might i add, and by no means a true fix to the calibration system here.

hehe--other than these minor issues(hmmm--highly frustrating issues to say the least,)  the "glass" 38(its not just the tail thats glass;^/) and the highly overactive rudder, everything in the game seems great.

it be nice to get some sort of reply from ht on this......

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
scaling stick
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2001, 08:32:00 AM »
First of all, what kind of control devices are you using and how are they connected.  If your devices are USB, what type of DSL device are you using, Ethernet or USB?

Also, what OS version and DX version are you running?

Something doesn't sound right here.  I've been able to scale and damp out just about every issue I've had, even with pretty screwed up old sticks.

Offline whirl

• Zinc Member
scaling stick
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2001, 01:05:00 PM »
i've got an alcatel usb dsl modem.  a saitek cyborg(gold-new x-y plate axis-not isolated x and y axis')usb and i connect at 1.47 megs.  the modem and cyborg have 2 totally separate usb controllers.  so there's no interference.  98 second ed.(oem) with dx8a.      

its the deadbands, i've found out, that limit the x+y stick input range......unfortunately, i need the deadbands to scale the stick inputs down also..

if i could make the scale go from 20-60 then when i reach the end of the x or y axis, i'm only getting 60% input instead of it jumping to 100%.  also,  the scales not to scale, so to speak.  or the scale incorporates the entire axis when it should start from (0,0) and then work its way up; whereas it seems to start at the very left or bottom, creating a discrepancy in the scale inputs::  at 70% it reads on the scale monitor as 30%; this means the last 30% of scaling covers 70% of the input.

Offline BOOT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.327th.org
scaling stick
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2001, 09:21:00 PM »
I have the same problem as Whirl...
I had a MS3DPro FFB that really gave me problems... Wild gyrations  :eek:  
when using even the least amount of rudder (twist stick)

I trashed the 3Dpro and got a MS Force Feedback 2...  It has more adjustments available with the MS software that came with the stick...  This new stick causes a lot less nose bounce when trying to aim, but it is still annoying...It makes it very hard to get hits on a bogey... I have my dampening set at 100% on rudders... I have the same problem with scaling... I have tried to get it to tail off on the high end... But it is like the program overides my setting... the rudder will spike to 100% regardless of the tailend settings...

I am running Windows 98, DX8.0

BOOT