Author Topic: SB AWE64 causes reboots when entering aircarft  (Read 703 times)

Offline PapaFox

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.barnstormer1.com
SB AWE64 causes reboots when entering aircarft
« on: May 11, 2000, 12:12:00 PM »
I'm fixing a friend's computer here in Hawaii. It's a rugged assignment, but someone has to do it.

He has a Dell Computer with a Creative AWS64 sound card in it. All goes well when we get into Aces High until it is time for going to the plane and beginning sound. At that point, one of two things happens: The computer either reboots or we get a blue screen of death with an error message regarding VxD sound.

I just visited the Creative labs web site and installed the latest AWE64 driver, no help. I just upgraded from DirectX6.1 to DX7.0a, no help.

Hardware specifics: 266 PII processor w 64mb ram, one old STB video card with 2 VoodooIIs running in SLI. Warbirds works great on this computer but it will not run Aces High.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

air_spro

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2000, 04:04:00 PM »
I have a Dell with that sound card to , well I will have the card again when they get it here . lol . Another problem that is .

On the Dell web site they have a flash bio's for that card . Check it to see if yours is listed . Dell tech had me flash mine quite some time ago .  

Now one more thing . If you are having any kind of problems , give them a call . They are really helpful people .

Newest driver is sbw9x.exe , we installed it in April . np yet .

The first one was AWEFlsh.exe  this might be your fix .  "Restores the AWE64 card to operating condition if the EEprom has been corrupted. New drivers will help guard against future corruption of the EEprom."
  http://support.dell.com/us/en/filelib/

Type it the driver name in search .

gl spro

------------------
air_rules = Play fair ....Don't worry about points......Keep a sense of humor......Drink Jim Beam......and don't let the fediddlein cat walk on the keyboard.......!!!

air_squadron

[This message has been edited by air_spro (edited 05-11-2000).]

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2000, 11:55:00 AM »
It could also be worth updating the video drivers.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Offline PapaFox

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.barnstormer1.com
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2000, 03:35:00 AM »
Thanks for suggestions...

I flashed the bios of the sound card and reinstalled new drivers. The problem went away, but when the computer came back up, the problem resurfaced. I went through this cycle several times: I could reinstall the drivers for the sound card and get AH to work, but when the computer rebooted, problem resurfaced. There was nothing obvious in Autoexec.bat or config.sys to cause the problem.

Rather than troubleshoot this problem for too long, we chose to replace the sound card with a Soundblaster live value, which fixed the problem. I may try the AWE64 in another computer.

Anyway, the problem is fixed and thanks for suggestions.

air_spro

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2000, 07:41:00 AM »
Ya , Dell said that my basic problem was the sound card AWE64 value messing up the bio's .

U might have some of the old drivers still messing up pc . Dell went though and removed them all one time . Man what a process that was   . Searching for all those files .

Next time I might get me a new card too .  Less problems = more fun .  Glad u got her going  

------------------
air_rules = Play fair ....Don't worry about points......Keep a sense of humor......Drink Jim Beam......and don't let the fediddlein cat walk on the keyboard.......!!!

air_squadron

[This message has been edited by air_spro (edited 05-13-2000).]