Author Topic: Tieing gears and tailhooks not a good idea  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Tieing gears and tailhooks not a good idea
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2006, 08:01:24 PM »
Originally posted by Mister Fork
For us historical/realism nutters, the real maccoy is the deal.

I'm just surprised that HTC merged landing gear to the tailhook. To me, it's like merging the flaps to landing gear.

Here's how it is now, which is more realistic (at least for sure with regard to the F4U):  you must lower gear, then you must lower the hook.  What is changed isn't than the hook is automatic.  What has changed is that you can no longer lower the hook without lowering the gear first.  This is how it was in the F4U -- it is more realism, not less.

Offline sonic23

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2006, 09:04:24 PM »
Landing gear is overrated i never use it, whether im landing on a carrier,runway,ocean, or land. i foundt it easier and faster to just belly slide your plane on landing. if you want to rearm though i would hope you put your gear down.
Sonic23 ++Blue Knights++
Sonic27 -==Hell Hounds==-

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2006, 09:37:13 PM »
Originally posted by Brooke
Here's how it is now, which is more realistic (at least for sure with regard to the F4U):  you must lower gear, then you must lower the hook.  What is changed isn't than the hook is automatic.  What has changed is that you can no longer lower the hook without lowering the gear first.  This is how it was in the F4U -- it is more realism, not less.

Are you sure about that? I ask because I just examined the hydraulic schematic for the F4U and noticed that the tail hook operates via a separate hydraulic cylinder, independent of the landing gear hydraulic circuit. I saw no limit switch or isolator/slide valve that would disable the tail hook when the gear were up. As far as I can tell from the schematic, the pilot could operate the tail hook by simply moving the tail hook control lever to the down position.

Does anyone have the Pilot's Manual handy?

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2006, 09:42:26 PM »

Do you have a reference for this, Brooke? Not saying it isn't true, but it would certainly be unusual. Hook extension could have been tied to tailwheel extension or doors, but main gear would be unusual.

Added: Oops, sorry, Widewing. Must have been posting same time.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 09:45:50 PM by Rolex »

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2006, 09:46:38 PM »
Widewing I just looked in my copy of Whistling Death.

It has 2 labeled pics of the cpit layout. There is a separate switch for the hook that is on the opposite side from the gear switch.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2006, 11:41:52 PM »
I recently got the pilot's manual for the F4U and the training videos (from zenoswarbirdvideos.com).  They are very nifty!  Zeno's has the manual and training videos for most US WWII aircraft.  Here's the info from the manual:

I have no idea if arresting gear is operated this same way for other aircraft.  I might soon know for the F6F (thanks also to Zeno's).
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 12:01:40 AM by Brooke »

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2006, 12:08:23 AM »
Interesting find Brooke.  It seems that part of the SOP is to have the gear down before lowering the hook.  Seems like then my complaint is a moot point.

But I'm curious if it's the same for other carrier aircraft...
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2006, 12:09:20 AM »
Another interesting thing from that page of the manual is that the F4U has auto-retracting flaps when airspeed gets too high for the current setting.  (Just noticed that passage.)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2006, 12:14:03 AM »
Interesting find Brooke.  It seems that part of the SOP is to have the gear down before lowering the hook.  Seems like then my complaint is a moot point.

But I'm curious if it's the same for other carrier aircraft...

Also from Zeno's, I should have the F6F, the TBM, and the SBD soon.  I'll check how their arresting gear works as well and post here.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2006, 12:44:40 AM »
I recently got the pilot's manual for the F4U and the training videos (from zenoswarbirdvideos.com).  They are very nifty!  Zeno's has the manual and training videos for most US WWII aircraft.  Here's the info from the manual:

I have no idea if arresting gear is operated this same way for other aircraft.  I might soon know for the F6F (thanks also to Zeno's).

That explains why I couldn't find anything in the hydraulic schematic, it's a simple mechanical interlock.

Looking at the tail wheel design, I can see why they lock out the tail hook. If you over-ride the interlock, the tail hook cylinder will push the hook right through the tail wheel doors. Grumman used a "stinger" type hook than is extended, rather than was pushed down.

The F4U must have been the only USN aircraft of any vintage that tied tail hook position to gear position. Standard sequence has always been, "hook down, gear down, flaps down.

Thanks for looking up the answer.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2006, 01:09:04 AM »
I like the zeno's stuff..always have received good quality from them.

There's also http://www.eflightmanuals.com
and http://www.rareaviation.com

Rare aviation has downloadable manuals and parts list. The only thing I would recommend is checking the size of the download before you buy it to make sure it's a good quality scan. I downloaded 4 things from them and one was at a kinda crappy resolution. I emailed them about it and never heard anything back about my inquiry on a remedy.

and on an off topic note - is anyone interested in trading manuals?

I've got several in digital format, but am always interested in sharing resources.

Offline Skull-1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2006, 09:58:09 PM »
Some Naval Fighters had fixed tailwheels.   Others had independent hooks.   The point being is that not all airplanes require the gear to be down for the hook to be down.

I think it needs to go back to independent operation on airplanes that historically had that capability...

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2006, 02:10:50 AM »
I checked the pilot's manual for the F6F, TBM, and SBD.  On those (unlike the F4U), it does seem that the tail hook could be lowered before the gear, like Widewing talked about.  At least for those planes, when discussing the hook, the manual doesn't say anything about gear needing to be down first.

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
Re: Tieing gears and tailhooks not a good idea
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2006, 02:16:50 AM »
ended up being a landing on the right wheel, then dropping onto the left wing, and cartwheeling off to the left side of the carrier. Weeeeee

:lol :rofl