Author Topic: Questions  (Read 670 times)

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Questions
« on: November 20, 2006, 05:22:40 AM »
Is this a good place to ask a few questions from a position of extreme ignorance without being immediately told to go and read about a 100 pages of text?
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline McDeath

• Nickel Member
Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 05:31:55 AM »
Yes,this is the place;)
flying as                     
Voudou  III/JG11 BOG
71Sqn./USMC
When we are done with you, you are going to wish your Daddy pulled out early!
"Then throw caution to the wind, buy a one way ticket to furball city and pop

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Questions
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 05:40:52 AM »
Ok so why doesn't the airoplane just go up and wait for the world to come round? (No seriously)

When I've flown a MK XVI Spit at 26,000 feet in level flight it struggles to get much above 300mph but swurely it should be able to do around 400mph at that altitude so why is that or is there something I am overlooking to make it faster? or is their a reason?

and

I cant get views from outside of the plane after taking off which is fine with me as long as no one else can so can they?

As I said I know nothing!
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"

Offline Apers

• Zinc Member
Questions
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 06:00:56 AM »
Originally posted by Yarbles
Ok so why doesn't the airoplane just go up and wait for the world to come round? (No seriously)

When I've flown a MK XVI Spit at 26,000 feet in level flight it struggles to get much above 300mph but swurely it should be able to do around 400mph at that altitude so why is that or is there something I am overlooking to make it faster? or is their a reason?

and

I cant get views from outside of the plane after taking off which is fine with me as long as no one else can so can they?

once you take off in the main arena your view is limited to the cockpit.

I don't have any experience with the spit XVI, but you could try WEP, it's turned on with the P key. it's like afterburners.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Questions
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 06:10:37 AM »
GOing to 26k is a big waste of time, there are only about 2 people who hang out up there, and if you challange them to a fight will dive for the deck  :D

I think the highest Ive ever heard of is 32k in AH, but most of the fighting happens under 15k. Remember, this is a "game". Most things are modeled in here, but some just aren't worth all the time and effort needed to "match" things perfectly.

With out sounding nasty or anything, you SHOULD read the aces high help pages....yes all 100+ pages! also netaces.org is a great place for info. There is a lot to learn, and a lot to know to realy get enjoyment out of this game. Without all that background info, it can get very frustrating.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Questions
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 06:11:31 AM »
Good Iam glad no one can get external views, its a great relief to know that the playing field has been level and my kill ratio is about 1 to 50 I:cry.

So I have pressed P which increases boost but still only got about 320 mph at altitude so is there more to it than that?

Thanks for the replies   :)
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Questions
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 06:23:28 AM »

With out sounding nasty or anything, you SHOULD read the aces high help pages....yes all 100+ pages! also netaces.org is a great place for info. There is a lot to learn, and a lot to know to realy get enjoyment out of this game. Without all that background info, it can get very frustrating

Sure I understand and all that but I am not frustrated and I think you are saying performance is about fare/ok at lower altitude which is what I was concerned about in case I was missing something obvious and the speed at 26,000 was the only info I had.

When I buy anything with instructions I alwatys try not to read them and get it to work anyway, it might take longer but I think its all about the journey.

Anyway I appreciate the info and you have answered my questions (for now) I dont mind getting shot down lots of times but I hope it doesnt spoil it for you "Senior Members" and I have got more hours on Spitfires now than the average new pilot in the Battle of Britain.

Thanks again.
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
Questions
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 06:54:13 AM »
External views are only available in bombers. I think they are suppose to represent the view of your crew looking around.  However, inside the cockpit you should still be able to look around outside in all directions. Look at your keyboard mapping for the right keys.  I have my views set up to work on a hat switch on my joystick. Much quicker.

In the hanger select an airplane, say your Spit.  Then right click on the highlight to bring up a menu.  You can get a chart that will show you airspeeds and climb rates at different altitudes.
Always try and be the person your dog thinks you are.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Questions
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 06:59:32 AM »
Originally posted by badhorse
External views are only available in bombers. I think they are suppose to represent the view of your crew looking around.  However, inside the cockpit you should still be able to look around outside in all directions. Look at your keyboard mapping for the right keys.  I have my views set up to work on a hat switch on my joystick. Much quicker.

In the hanger select an airplane, say your Spit.  Then right click on the highlight to bring up a menu.  You can get a chart that will show you airspeeds and climb rates at different altitudes.

Magic

I am tempted to take the day off work now and go home and play.

Thanks
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Questions
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 07:05:42 AM »
Originally posted by Yarbles

and

IAS versus TAS
IAS : the white needle
TAS the red needle

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Questions
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 07:13:18 AM »
Originally posted by straffo
IAS versus TAS
IAS : the white needle
TAS the red needle

?????????????????????????????
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Questions
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 07:17:53 AM »
Originally posted by badhorse

I tried that and it matches expectations on the grapgh (thanks again) but in practice even with P pressed/on it did not go that fast anywhere it seemed to me about 20% slower and once in the air the Flaps would not lower and I had read the help pages I realise, so any Ideas would be very welcome :(
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Questions
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 07:28:35 AM »
is your plane correctly trimmed ?

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Questions
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2006, 07:41:44 AM »
Originally posted by straffo
is your plane correctly trimmed ?

Probably not.

Would you indulge me and say more?

And do you know if the Spit XV1 is essentially the same as the Spit IX in AH as there is  nothing in Aircraft evaluation about the XV1 and I prefer it cos you can carry extra fuel.
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Questions
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2006, 07:43:31 AM »
And can anyone say what is the best plane to start out on?
DFC/GFC/OAP