Author Topic: Force feedback / joystick questions  (Read 461 times)

Offline mosca

• Copper Member
Force feedback / joystick questions
« on: November 10, 2001, 02:08:00 PM »
I have always used a FF stick, The MSSWFF. I tried the Logitech FF and the CH FF, but for different reasons found them both wanting, and returned to the MSSWFF.

The one thing I never cared for in the MS stick is the twist rudder. Mutt has given me some excellent advice on setting up the SWFF, but implicit in the advice is that nose bounce is a problem with ALL "twist grip" sticks, and I can see why. He has advised me to look into some other products, including the Saitek & Thrustmaster HOTAS setups.

But I can't find a FF Hotas setup.

Is FF soon to be a thing of the past? Is there a reason it hasn't grown with the promise it originally had? Is FF something I should avoid in AH?

Please advise, and TIA.

Tom Brenholts
Mosca

Offline SKDenny

• Zinc Member
      • http://216.12.31.149
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2001, 04:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by mosca:
I have always used a FF stick, The MSSWFF. I tried the Logitech FF and the CH FF, but for different reasons found them both wanting, and returned to the MSSWFF.

The one thing I never cared for in the MS stick is the twist rudder. Mutt has given me some excellent advice on setting up the SWFF, but implicit in the advice is that nose bounce is a problem with ALL "twist grip" sticks, and I can see why. He has advised me to look into some other products, including the Saitek & Thrustmaster HOTAS setups.

But I can't find a FF Hotas setup.

Is FF soon to be a thing of the past? Is there a reason it hasn't grown with the promise it originally had? Is FF something I should avoid in AH?

Please advise, and TIA.

Tom Brenholts
Mosca

Hail and Welcome to ACCS MOSCA from SkyKnight Denny.
I have been using the MSFF stick in AH for about 9 months now. I did have some nose bounce in the beginning but after working on the settings for a while it is all but gone.
The twist rudder is just too quick and you have to tame it down with the settings. Don't set the deadband too high because the rudder will come on all at once I.E. nose bounce.
Oh yeah I have stolen your buddy Colt and he is my regular gunner now, and a good one to boot
SKDenny

Offline Wingnut_0

• Copper Member
      • http://www.Luftjagerkorps.com
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2001, 06:56:00 PM »
I use the FFB2 and used the FFB1 before.  I dont' use the twisty grip AT ALL!  Go to a nearby department store and by a 30 dollar racing wheel with pedals.  Hook them up and walla..u got foot rudders.  After doing so my gaming much approved and I've been running a couple years with this setup now.  Trust me..it's worth doing it.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2001, 08:25:00 AM »
ironically force feedback provides the most realistic feedback (mechanical resistance) with force feedback SFX turned off and only the centering forces left on  :)

i use sidewinder ff2 with this configuration. its a great stick cept for the poorly designed hat switch which goes bad on all sw sticks  :(
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Awarsoca

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2001, 07:25:00 PM »
Baaaaa Mosca.
FYI TM will be releasing their FF Afterburner rig in January.  It still has twist rudder but can be enhanced with USB pedals (c;
Soca