Author Topic: Corsair KD431  (Read 1105 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Corsair KD431
« on: November 21, 2006, 05:12:17 PM »
This is KD 431, the Corsair currently on display at the FAA Museum in Yeovilton. The museum recently "de-renovated" this aircraft. They stripped all the post WW2 layers of paint off until they got to the original factory paint. It now has all its scratches, paint chips, maintenance signage, worn paint areas etc exactly as it was 50 odd years ago. The story of this project is told in the book Corsair KD431 by David Morris.

Currently I've got the aircraft markings done as they would have appeared during the last few months of WW2, when this aircraft was serving with 1835 Sqn FAA. This squadron was due for service in the far east, but the war ended before they saw action.

Next I'm going to try to match the paint chips, paint wear etc as close as I can to the real aircraft. This might involve a trip down to the museum sometime when I've got over a sprained ankle.

Its suprising how much you can alter the appearance of the colours with the material file. I've added a bit of gloss to the paint and made it a bit bluer. Need to see what it looks like in-game, but material files are broke in AH at the moment.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Corsair KD431
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 05:16:21 PM »
Very cool Greebo.  I love that book and that bird.  Oh to have a piece of history like that in my garage :)

Kinda nice when you can even see the weathering and paint chipping as it was then.

Kind of amazing that the outer wing panals were fabric covered.  And of course the only orignal 'gas patch' in existance that they know of.

That should be the default skin...just because :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
Corsair KD431
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 06:13:11 PM »
Looks great :)

be nice if we could crop those wingtips like the FAA Corsairs, i know that it was for a stowage practicality thing, but i have heard that it increased the roll rate - would love to know by how much.

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Corsair KD431
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 07:09:01 PM »
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Corsair KD431
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 02:44:50 AM »
It may actually be possible to crop the wingtips on British Corsair skins by using an alpha map, but HTC don't allow this sort of mod for online skins.

This makes my second British Corsair II. I'll hold off for now on any more, as I suspect Kev or others will want to do some. After KD431 I'll redo some of my old Corsair skins, including the FAA F4U-1, BPF F4U-1D and a few US ones.

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Corsair KD431
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 10:31:51 AM »
Though they weren't cropped until post war.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Squire

• Platinum Member
Corsair KD431
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 10:57:34 AM »
No, all the FAA Corsairs had the tips shortened. It was required to get them below decks on the Fleet CVs.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
Corsair KD431
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 12:52:44 PM »
what squire said.  if i remember correctly it was 4 inches off of each wing.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Corsair KD431
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 01:01:58 PM »
The bird in question.  Note the clipped wings.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
Corsair KD431
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 05:36:31 PM »
Is it just me or do most of the fabric covered parts on some of the skins jump out too much?  I've spent the last two days looking at old warbirds, including a Corsair, and I just don't see that severe a transition.  You can certainly tell the difference between fabric covering and metal up close, but for me its more a matter of the texture of the cloth/paint and not being able to see the ribs/longerons underneath.  

Good looking skins regardless--for whatever its worth...

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Corsair KD431
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2006, 05:19:49 AM »
You can see the fabric effects on photos when the light hits the surface right, but it does seem to be too heavy on this skin. I'll tone it down, thanks for pointing it out Stoney.

My home PC wouldn't post this morning and it looks like a HDD problem. I'll try repairing it with the Windows CD tonight, but failing that its going halt my skin production for a while.

Still, if I'm going to go through all the hassle of reinstalling everything it gives me the perfect excuse to build a new PC. Was going to early next year anyway.

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
Corsair KD431
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 07:37:36 AM »
Really cool skin Greebo!

btw, check out airliners.net for alot of high rez F4U photos.  They give a good reference to how the fabric covered areas look too!

Cheers,
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
Corsair KD431
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 08:16:10 PM »
Originally posted by Greebo
You can see the fabric effects on photos when the light hits the surface right, but it does seem to be too heavy on this skin. I'll tone it down, thanks for pointing it out Stoney.

Its certainly not just your skins Greebo--its a lot of them IMHO.  I appreciate the extra time taken to differentiate the fabric from metal areas, I just think most of the shading is a bit too conspicuous.  Some of the Hurri's for example...  I  looked at a couple of actual airframes this week as well, and while you can see the transition down the fuselage, I didn't think, especially with the non-specular paint, that the transition was near as drastic as portrayed on some of the skins in the game.  Again, just my two cents.

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
Corsair KD431
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 04:20:34 AM »
oh greebo, wonderfull, good looking intelligent greebo (sucking up big time) how likely are we to get the old hog-D skin of yours with the armour plated tail?  i forget the name, was a VMF bird with yellow stripes on the wings and the distinct metal section around the tail wheel and planes.

greeat skin here also, i love to see such a beautifull bird painted up in the best markings around, the RAF :)
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
Corsair KD431
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 05:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
greeat skin here also, i love to see such a beautifull bird painted up in the best markings around, the RAF :)

fleet air arm :D