Author Topic: Weirdness  (Read 494 times)

Klatuu

Weirdness
« on: May 18, 2000, 09:44:00 PM »
Occasionally, and with increasing frequency, I am experiencing a low volume, high pitched whine accompanied by frame rate dropping to 1-2fps, and a loss of joystick control. I have a Falcon-Northwest computer, 650mz athlon, 128 meg ram, Voodo3 3000 AGP, and Sound Blaster Live Value, Win 98 OS. The problem requires me to exit and restart the game in order to restore frame rate and joystick control.  This happens when system is hot or cold, and within 3-5 min of starting the program.  I have run it in the past with no prblems, this is recent. Any Ideas?  

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
Weirdness
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2000, 10:33:00 PM »
Couple of quick questions.

1. Have you installed any new software/hardware.
2. Have you checked your joystick connection or do you have another joystick you could try?

I would explore #2 if you haven't done #1. Also if you have pulled on your joystick to move it around double check to see if your soundcard is lose.

S!
Rocket

------------------

The Red Dragons
Fierce and Bold
With Honour and Courage

www.reddragons.de

[This message has been edited by Rocket (edited 05-18-2000).]

Klatuu

Weirdness
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2000, 11:22:00 PM »
Rocket, thanks for your reply.  I've checked for that already though, and just about everything else!  Joystick works fine with all other games, both do in fact.  I've re-installed AH, DirectX, video and sound drivers.  No new software. All conections check out, and this problem does not occur in any other app.  Also, it happens offline as well (trying to anticipate further questions).

Offline maddog

• Nickel Member
Weirdness
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2000, 10:38:00 AM »
I rarely but occassionaly get same thing... my bets are on the sound card... esp. SB live.. I switched to diamond monster... doesn't happen anymore
doc

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Weirdness
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2000, 04:35:00 PM »
The whining is coming from your speakers or your machine?  Did anything change on your machine when this problem started occuring?  Have you done a virus check lately?

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Weirdness
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2000, 11:13:00 PM »
You might try running scandisk and then looking for newer sound card drivers.  By what you describe, I'd say that the problem most likely lies with your soundcard.  Also, when you reinstalled AH, did you also delete the settings directory.  If you didn't reinstalling may have essentially done nothing.

Your problem is kind of strange in that their really can be only one culprit, your soundcard or its drivers, but you've already thought of that and did your best to correct it.  About the only thing you can do is a driver update on your soundcard, then a complete (delete setting directory) reinstall of AH.  If that doesn't work I don't know what to tell you.  

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS