Author Topic: I really hate being lied to...  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
I really hate being lied to...
« on: November 24, 2006, 03:22:07 AM »
See Rule #7
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 08:31:30 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 03:26:19 AM »
uh oh.  

my girlfriend and i were planning to go to best buy to try to get one this morning.

not looking forward to this.

hope it isnt so bad here...

p.s. - sorry you didnt get that laptop.  :(
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 03:29:36 AM by JB88 »
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 03:30:19 AM »
Hey guys, just spend a little time shopping on the 'net.  You'll find good deals, you'll stay warm, and the frustration level is much, much lower.  It amazed me the cattle mentality of buyers when I worked retail.  All that effort to save a few bucks.  But, if that's what people like to do, more power to them.  Sorry ya got pissed Urchin but, this is not something that's ever going to be polite, nice or easy to deal with.  Retail IS hell...and the customers make sure it stays that way.

"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 03:32:22 AM »
Originally posted by DiabloTX
Hey guys, just spend a little time shopping on the 'net.  You'll find good deals, you'll stay warm, and the frustration level is much, much lower.  It amazed me the cattle mentality of buyers when I worked retail.  All that effort to save a few bucks.  But, if that's what people like to do, more power to them.  Sorry ya got pissed Urchin but, this is not something that's ever going to be polite, nice or easy to deal with.  Retail IS hell...and the customers make sure it stays that way.

so you are saying that its not really worth it to try for the 599 dollar 12" averitec  dual core laptop with the gig of ram...that i can find it elsewhere for the same savings?

note:  this would be my first early morning shopping adventure.  i usually do it your way.
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

word.

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 03:34:23 AM »
You have a brain and a moderate level of known intelligence that I can tell.  Surf the web, search for a deal, most likely you'll find it.  Don't be a slave to retail marketing!!!  STAY AWAY FROM THE LIGHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 03:37:48 AM »
lol.

yay!  then i can sleep!

(we had this whole, "well if you want to stay up we can go" thing...and i am like...will i regret not doing so and etc...you know, the whole make her happy thing...but now i can just point to this and say "look, a retail 'authority' that i read on the boards says it isnt worth it."

thanks man.

:aok

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

word.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 04:31:52 AM »
That's why I don't participate in those panic-buying deals.  People really get all wrapped up over a stupid bargain or whatever.  The only way to do it is to find a store that just isn't very popular and hope that your item doesn't sell out in the first 60 seconds.

But people (shoppers, sheeple, whatever) really get too worked up over these, so I just don't play.  It's an ugly demonstration of human greed and frankly I don't want to be associated with people demonstrating that sort of slavery to consumerism.  I'd rather do without than be in a group of holiday panic-shoppers.  It's pathetic and embarassing watching people behave that way.

Starving ethiopians... I could see that kind of behavior if you were giving out a limited amount of food to those people, but for people who already have too much crap, it's just brainless consumerism.  Pathetic.

That said, I went to the AAFES base exchange and bought a cheapo one-day-only-sale home theater setup for my wife.  She is absolutely not interested in what the tv sounds like but I hate those crappy tv speakers when watching movies, so getting a $190 surround sound system and dvd player for $89 was the only sensible way to solve that particular dilemma.  But I showed up at 6pm and didn't have to fight the hysterical crowds.  I walked in, got only the one item I wanted, and left.  If they'd been sold out, too bad, I don't really need it anyhow.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 05:14:13 AM »
"But people (shoppers, sheeple, whatever) really get too worked up over these, so I just don't play. It's an ugly demonstration of human greed and frankly I don't want to be associated with people demonstrating that sort of slavery to consumerism. I'd rather do without than be in a group of holiday panic-shoppers. It's pathetic and embarassing watching people behave that way."

............................. ............................. ............................. ...........

I agree and would go so far as to say stores that encourage (through these early bird sales) a scene where violence could happen is irresponsible at best, and sadistic at worst if the management gets their jollies watching such a scene unfold.  I don't do business with companies handing out lottery tickets to wait in a parking lot to purchase their products.

Should be first come first serve, and Urchin was there among the first.  Pretty crappy way to do business imo.  You Urchin were there with your car and it cost you gas to go there.  No reason to make you leave.  You were there for an advertised sale.  If it was some safety reason, maybe they shouldn't be having sales where someone could get hurt.  I might complain about it, but it would be hard to not start cussing, and once I did that I wouldv'e lost.  I guarantee you Urchin, you ain't the only one p'od that attended that sale.  Dunno...if enough people complained, it might make 'em think.  It's not logical.  If they're desperate enough to have a sale like that, why turn away (and turn off) customers?

Many years ago (1983) an airline was offering free tickets to Puerto Vallarta if you brought in 50 count of various items.  It was a scavenger hunt.  Welll... my friends and I thought we'd try for it, and decided to go for the 50 helium filled balloons...(our intelligence dept. indicated no one had showed up with that yet.) We high-tailed it to a novelty shop before they closed at midnight and purchased the balloons and fitted them all in my 64 Super 88 and arrived to the airport at about 3 in the morning.  We were about 70th in line and were there three hours.  Thought we had it in the bag when someone about 10th in front of us produced a handful of non-helium filled balloons and won on that item.  As if they couldn't see us standing there like idiots with 50 filled balloons!!!:rolleyes:

Oh well such is life.;)

Les

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 05:49:59 AM »
People like you kept piling onto those cops till they caved in for them.
You should've followed your instinct ("knowing so") and camped within sight of either the parking lot, or its most fluent entrance.   By the time enough people had arrived, you'd have played your Urchin "I was here first" act, and gotten a front row spot on the starting grid.

You play too fair, then retrospectively piss your own self off for having played that strategy.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 06:07:01 AM »
Is that for me Moot?

Les

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 06:12:52 AM »
No, Urchin. :)
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 06:19:18 AM »
It's all good.:)  Btw, that scavenger was fun, even if we were bamboozled.  Darnit, I really wanted to go to Puerto Vallarta.

Les

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 06:44:20 AM »
I just made a great deal _online_ today.

Those of you who know about laptops are aware that HP came out with a new line of home/small business laptops in the 9000 series with AMD or intel core 2 duo laptops.

Well the now "old" 8000 series is on sale almost everywere so i orderd one with these specs today

Intel core duo T2300, nvidia 7600 grapichs with 256mb dedicated ram. 2gb of ddr2 ram, 2x80gb internal harddrive and a nice 17" screen.

Price is not relevant as youcant really compare us vs here, but its alot chaper then the new series if you can go without core2 and do core duo instead adn dont need the webcam. (im not getting the vista cupon with it but im not going to use vista either.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 06:56:19 AM by Nilsen »

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 07:49:35 AM »
LOL I nodded off at my desk lat night and woke up about 3 AM.
Started heading to bed and saw my son up and getting dressed.

Asking him WTF he was doing he told me he and his friends were headed out for one of those "ASS Crack of Dawn" (LOL Love that line) Sales.
Best Buy was supposed to be offering some sort of deal on routers and he wanted oen so he culd use his XBox in his Dorm

I just chuckled at his insanity But have always been a firm beleiver in letting my kids learn non lethal lessons for themselves when they want to do something really silly
So I just Told him to make sure he let the dogs out..and back in, before he left and went to bed.

Now I get up and see him sleeping in his clothes on his bed. But I dont see any boxes or bags.

So now Im wondering and thinking how he made out and maybe he inherited the gene from me that loathes waiting in long lines for anything.

I imagine I'll be hearing pretty much the same story when I ask hi what happened later LOL
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 08:29:23 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 07:59:42 AM »
dred let us know what happened :)

The one and only time I tried one of those sooper early sales, I actually got lucky.  I showed up half an hour before store open, and got in line like a good little brainwashed consumer.  Doors opened, screaming people rushed in pushing and shoving.  I walked calmly to video card section and grabbed the one remaining sale video card.  It was a 128 meg GeForce 4 4200 for about 30% below normal retail price, back when you could overclock one of those by quite a bit.  It was quite a deal but after that I decided there wasn't any product on any store shelf in the world at any price that was worth that kind of hassle ever again.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.